Official Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith *spoiler free ONLY before 5/19* at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old April 19th, 2005, 06:46 PM   #1
Trustee

Official Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith *spoiler free ONLY before 5/19*

i'm buying tickets as soon as i can for the midnight showing of Episode III. i'm both sad and excited cause this is the very last brand new star wars movie EVER MADE! i know there are lots of online tickets being offered and sold out but the one cinema i'd like to see this in (Boston Common) has not begun to sell tix yet.

BTW anyone else wanna come with if you're in the Greater Boston area? the local theforce.net's Rebel501 is going to Dedham one but no1 in Boston itself. anyone?
Old April 19th, 2005, 07:02 PM   #2
Wrangler

After having witnessed the lines for the last two, I had been planning to see it at the Chinese. Too bad it won't be playing there: the only STAR WARS film not to do so.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 09:14 PM   #3
Trustee

Yi, I'm trying to find the best theater in the Boston area. I'm thinking the Loews theaters are good. If you find a special theater let me know..I've about 6 people that want to all go on opening night if possible.
Old April 20th, 2005, 10:01 AM   #4
Trustee

hi chris,

i'm going the loews Boston Common cinema for a 12:01AM 5/19 showing. as far as i know, it's the only cinema in boston. if you 6 people are gonna go all those people will need rides to and from. my ride may or may not be full depending on how many people go. check out this thread (i'm JediFonger):

http://boards.theforce.net/Boston,_M...5/19084146/?15

if you are CRAZY enough there is also a COMPLETE 6 film saga (chronological) viewing here:

http://boards.theforce.net/Boston,_M...5/19084259/?12
Old April 20th, 2005, 10:08 AM   #5
Major Player

I'm going to be seeing the midnight showing at a Cinemark Tinsletown here in Houston. It's one of the older multi-plexes here, about 10 years old now, one of the first to have stadium seating and all that jazz that we take for granted now. But, and this is my favorite part, the original stadium theaters (the first built in Texas I believe) were built extra large to accomadate all the seats they wanted to put in it, including extra large - 70ft. screens. The biggest non-Imax screens in Texas. Every big visual movie I go see at the theaters, I go see on these screens.

I got my tickets yesterday, and it occured to me how much movie going has changed in just the short space of time since Ep. I came out. Back then, I had to go stand in line for an hour when the tickets went on sale, then carried them around with me like holy relics for two weeks. Now - just go on the internet and 5 sec. later, bam, you've got your tickets.

Of course, you've still got to sit in line for 6 hours opening night in order to get good seats.

I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be able to go the press screening the Thursday before - but everyone else at the site is angling for that too, so probably not.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 11:46 AM   #6
Trustee

hey chris&everyone near boston.

the 12:30 AM showing of ROTS is onsale now on www.fandango.com. make sure you select 5/18 wednesday, but the showing is technically 12:30AM THURSDAY. if you're coming then i'll cya then.

Last edited by Yi Fong Yu; April 30th, 2005 at 09:53 AM.
Yi Fong Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 09:54 AM   #7
Trustee

BTW, the digital version has an extra dagobah scene in it. so be sure to watch the DIGITAL version only. this is similar to what lucas did when AOTC came out in digital and film version.
Old May 15th, 2005, 01:40 PM   #8
Wrangler

Saw Sith today

Thanks to a special arrangement between Mr. Lucas and my workplace, my family and I got to see a special pre-release screening of SITH today.

I won't spoil it with details, but a couple of summary comments might help:

- True, the violence is ratcheted up in amount and intensity compared to previous Star Wars films. Yet, it is definitely a Star Wars movie in its feel, and honestly IMHO no worse than stuff you see on TV. If your kid isn't an unusually sensitive soul (in other words, if you let 'em watch cable TV) and has seen the previously released episodes without getting nightmares, I don't think this film will freak them out.

- Best of the lot. Would be worth seeing even if you aren't a huge Star Wars fan.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Knecht Schmidt
After having witnessed the lines for the last two, I had been planning to see it at the Chinese. Too bad it won't be playing there: the only STAR WARS film not to do so.
True enough Robert, there is an emotional/historic connection to the Chinese as far as Star Wars is concerned (I myself saw the re-release of Ep. 4 there, really fun). But the Cinerama Dome is an epic place to see movies also, pretty unique; has it's own interesting history. The adjoining Arclight Cinemas are my all-time favorite for modern moviegoing experience.
Old May 19th, 2005, 09:56 PM   #10
Trustee

Just watched it tonight. Very impressed. By far the best of the new 3, and really makes me itch to want to watch the old 3 so I can keep going with the story. This episode is everything the last 2 were not.

I just saw the comment about digital - I saw the film version. Darn, so I missed a scene reserved for digital only?
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:56 AM   #11
Trustee

oh yeah, right now it is after 5/19 so this is now a SPOILER thread.

i'm waiting for Josh's review of this =).

as for myself, i really loved it. definitely the best of the prequels and most emotional out of all 6. the bit with vader screaming NOOooo was awful, awful, awful.
Old May 20th, 2005, 10:25 AM   #12
Major Player

[QUOTE=i'm waiting for Josh's review of this =).[/QUOTE]

I can sum it up in three words...

I hated it.

Just kidding.

I loved it (keeping in mind that I'm one of the people that really enjoyed the first two as well). It was funny in just the right way (though I do find the sight of R2 popping out of the ships like a toaster struddle uninentionally hilarious - or maybe it was intentional, I don't know). You really know it's successful in what its doing when it ends and you wonder where the time went. I saw Cinderella Man about a week ago and it was only about 10 min. longer than this and while it was a fine if standard film, I was really feeling the length. Sith on the other hand felt like it was over all too quickly.

Unlike a lot of people (imagine that, me disagreeing with people about Star Wars) I think I prefer the first half of the film to the second - not because the second half is lacking any way - but because the entire sequence on the droid flagship really captured that sense of incredible adventure and derring do and just plain FUN that made me love Star Wars (and the original Star Wars is far and away my favorite of the bunch, with Empire coming in second, though it's going to have to fight to keep that second place spot from Sith) and which the prequels have only managed to capture sporadically until now. I can't remember the last time I've enjoyed just watchin a movie like I enjoyed that much - it was funny, it was exciting, the camraderie was great, the only down side was that it felt like it was over too soon.

I didn't even mind the Nooo so much. I'd been hearing a lot about it, but the same as with Jar Jar, when it actually showed up it wasn't so bad. Maybe my expectations of awfulness had been raised beyond what the moment actually was. Or maybe it's because I'm a big fan of Whale's Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein (one of the only sequels that truly bests the original in every way) so the moment resonated for me that way.

A lot's been made of Jar Jar only being a cameo and having no dialogue, but I distinctly heard one line of Jar Jar speak towards the beginning of the film. It occured to me as I was leaving the film that what Lucas should have done - especially considering Jar Jar was the one who paved the way for Palpatine to become Emperor - was have Jar Jar be the senator who founded the Rebellion. That would have really put the Jar Jar haters in a twirl :) For people dead set on seeing him bite it, he could even have had Jar Jar be the first Senator actually killed by the Emperor for daring to oppose him, dying heroically, standing up for justice. Oh well, missed opportunities.

One thing I did notice, which has nothing to do with Star Wars. There were many, many trailers in front of Sith for big upcoming movies, but the only two that got any notice in my theater were Batman and The Chronicles of Narnia, which struck me as two very different films to be longed for by 15-20 year olds (my audience was about 90% 20 years old and younger, mostly teenagers, with me at nearing-30 being one of the oldest people there. Which means, now that I think about it, these kids were 14 or 15 at the oldest, and many far younger, when Ep. I came out - now that I think about it, I think most of the people at the midnight showing for Ep. I were 20 years old and older, not too many kids there - and here they are lining up 3 to 6 hours in advance to get good seats for the midnight showing, wearing costumes, talking Star Wars all that stuff, so maybe Lucas knew more what he was doing with Ep. I than people give him credit for). I also noticed that the final Fantastic Four trailer got ZERO applause or reaction from this, it's primary audience. That does not bode well.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:37 PM   #13
Wrangler

I'm not going to review it, there were some parts I loved, and some that I hated.
The whole movie would have been better if Anakin wasn't allowed to speak, and Padme was cut out completely. The dialogue was pretty cheesy in some parts, and I groaned at some other bad stuff (won't bring it up).
Overall, I didn't hate it, but didn't love it. My ratings for the series is as follows, scores being relative to a 10/10 for #4-ANH

#4 - ANH: 10/10
#5 - ESB: 10/10
#6 - ROTJ: 9/10
#1 - TPM: 7.5/10
#2 - AOTC: 6.5/10
#3 - ROTS: 7/10
Old May 21st, 2005, 09:59 PM   #14
Trustee

Jar Jar said, "excuse me" when the Palpatine's entourage received him. right after anakin+ob1's talks of politics.

in fact, there has been more characterization of the droids in this one than in the other prequels. like when anakin is captured by Greivous a droids says excuse me and you're welcomed. for some strange reason episode 3 droids are much more polite! =).
Old May 22nd, 2005, 06:25 PM   #15
Major Player

A question to all you experts. The voice used for Darth Vader, no longer belonged to James Earl Jones, did it? I thought it didn't quite sound the same..Does anybody know why? I looked for a credit at the end but couldn't find it..
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark