Official Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith *spoiler free ONLY before 5/19* - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old May 24th, 2005, 12:49 PM   #31
Regular Crew

I feel in a lot of ways that episode III is like episode II. Many people waited and watched. Many left the theatre loving the film, as did I..but after a few months and especially with the release of it on DVD, you begin to see through to the other side and know what these movies truly are.

I'm glad the "Nooooo!" was at the end of the movie because after seeing that I was ready to leave the theatre. One thing that disturbed me was how thin Natalie Portman was in the movie, especially considering the fact that she is supposed to be pregnant.

I, like many didn't understand how Lucas was going to take the new pieces and make them fit with the old. One of my biggest concerns was how all this super high-tech gadetry featured in the first two movies was going to disappear and be replaced with 70's technology. Episode III didn't explain this, they just introduced Princess Leia's transport ship and expected that to do the trick. Bah!

Did anyone else notice the guy at the end that looked like a young Grand Mof Tarkin? Also, does anyone else think that it was CGI trickery that made that scene happen? One last thought, if the Emperor is going to be in a light saber battle, why not have Jar-jar in one as well. Geesh!!
John Plunkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 12:59 PM   #32
Air China Pilot

One of the kindest decisions was to not have Jar-Jar speak at all in this movie.
Old May 24th, 2005, 12:59 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Yes, it is disappointing, especially because the original films inspired me to get into the business.

I guess that the last three films will serve as a cautionary tale, although not in the way Lucas intended: Because you can do anything you want in a film, doesn't mean you should. After all "Jaws" wouldn't have been nearly the film it was if the shark had worked.
Kenn Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 02:56 PM   #34
Trustee

The Padme pregnancy was very hard to believe. I mean, she was able to run into Anakins arms at Moustafar? Have you EVER seen a woman far enough into term to deliver healthy twins be able to run??

And the weirdest thing, regarding Padme's pregnancy, is that they have the technology to have an incredibly advanced maternity robot that goes 'boobah', but not the technology that tells you you're having twins.

Oh well. It is sci-fi fantasy, after all.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 04:44 PM   #35
Obstreperous Rex

After it's all finally been said and done now for George as far as Star Wars goes, I'm still thinking that THX 1138 is his best work to date. The version with Duvall. I never saw his USC-student-film version.

On the drive home from ROTS, my wife and I agreed that while Lucas is an innovative filmmaker who is -- or at least, has been -- very good at what he does, he is no literary giant by any stretch. Some of the character names he chooses, such as Padme and Dooku just make me cringe. As far as cinematic sagas go, I'll take LOTR over SW any day, but of course I say that knowing full well that I'm on my way to Crusty Old Fart status in doing so.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 06:09 PM   #36
Trustee

Alfred, we had to reschedule it to this upcoming Sunday because it was 2 intense last Saturday with everyone's schedule. We have 8 confirmed coming. It's going to be awesome! =).

as for Tarkin:

Wayne Pygram
http://imdb.com/name/nm0701460/

he was most well known prior to Episode III for being Scorpius in Farscape.
Old May 24th, 2005, 07:34 PM   #37
Major Player

Well Yi. I hope you go through it and tells it about it. I've done a "old" Star Wars marathon but that just the beginning (the end..) comparraed to yours!

Good luck and don't forget to eat and drink..
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:36 PM   #38
Trustee

My vote for the funniest line not meant to be funny in ROTS:

"Good relationship with the Wookies I have" - Yoda.

It's a good thing Yoda was CGI, because no way a real actor could say that line with a straight face. My audience giggled well into the scene that followed.
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:57 AM   #39
Obstreperous Rex

Best near-miss in the screenplay:

C3PO: "There are times when I feel so helpless."

should have been...

C3PO: "There are times when I feel so useless."

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:37 AM   #40
Trustee

my fav line is, "Hello there." from Ewan. it was my fav line in Episode4 from Alec.

Alfred,

you can read all about it here:
http://boards.theforce.net/Boston,_M...5/19084259/?72
i hope to take some pix of it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred Okocha
Well Yi. I hope you go through it and tells it about it. I've done a "old" Star Wars marathon but that just the beginning (the end..) comparraed to yours!

Good luck and don't forget to eat and drink..
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:56 AM   #41
Regular Crew

The one good thing about seeing ROTS were the previews; "Cinderella Man," "War of the Worlds" and "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" all looked infinately better than the film I saw, IMHO.
Kenn Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:45 AM   #42
Air China Pilot

All of the many "War of the Worlds" trailers are underwhelming. I know they are purposely holding back on the FX shots to keep you wanting to see the actual aliens (so far they have only shown the tentacle thing) but what remains is just Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning staring at nothing. *yawn*
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:56 AM   #43
Major Player

I've seen Cinderella Man. Star Wars is much better. But then, I also liked Star Wars quite a bit. Best movie I've seen so far this year.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #44
Trustee

Keith, I don't know if this is the case or not, but it's quite possible they will never show you the aliens throughout the movie, in keeping with the history of the story, where the aliens were never really explored much.

I think this is what Shyamalan was going for in Signs - less a story about aliens and more a story about humans. Of course with Signs it leaves you wondering how aliens can conquer space travel but somehow not be able to open a door, but that's another story.
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:19 PM   #45
Air China Pilot

But as I recall from the HG Wells story, there were also descriptions of massive battles, just that they were delivered as news.

Also, by "aliens" I also include their ships as well. So at least I would expect to see their ships and whatever craft they are using to deal death to the pitiful humans. That's one of the things I loved about the 1953 version. The ship design with the heads was quite beautiful.

I don't think "Signs" is a good example to follow up on. I felt entirely cheated after watching that movie to the end.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark