Transferring video into Flash at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 21st, 2005, 09:16 AM   #1
Tourist

Transferring video into Flash

Hi!
I am new to all this video stuff so I'm hoping this is a stupid, easy to answer question.
I tranferred a video file into Flash that I edited in Premeire and then saved in Quicktime, the Quicktime movie looks great but when I transfer it into Flash there's these lines through it everytime anything moves. Does anyone know how I can avoid this?
I tried the different interlace settings when I saved it but to no avail. If you want to see an example of what I mean here's a friends wedding I was trying to do: http://www.eyesbryte.com/wedding/wedding-video.htm
(The video is pretty bad but you'll get the idea.)

Thanks for your help on advance! :)
Brooke Robilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 01:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Brooke,

are you compressing the file in quicktime first, then importing and comressing it again in flash?

you might want to try sorenson's squeeze. this is an incredible video compressor. It does a great job of compressing video (.avi, etc) into .flv files which are flash video files.

Never had a problem like what you are describing when i use squeeze.

~Mike
Mike Rinkunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 01:29 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks for replying! Yes I am starting with QT. I tried the squeeze trial version but didn't have much luck with it. Do you export from Premiere to QuickTime then have Sorensen "squeeze" it into a flash file?
Brooke Robilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 02:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Brooke:

You've got a 40mb Fash (.swf) file which, of course, takes forever to load. What you need is a Flash video (.flv) file, which can either be a progressive download or use a Flash streaming server to deliver the file. The artifacting you see is the result of flash trying to playback such a large file. In reality, trying to stream anything over about 20 seconds of video in an .swf file will cause problems.

Sorenson 4.1 lets you encode most video formats into an .flv file, either as a progressive or streaming download. You should start with the best output file possible and then let Sorenson do the rest.

If you're using Dreamweaver MX2004, Macromedia also offers a $99 Flash video kit that includes a lite version of Sorenson and a plug-in that creates the HTML necessary to load the .flv file and play it back.
Old June 21st, 2005, 05:18 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Brooke,

doug is right, you need to output the file in the best format, an avi file would be best.

from there 'squeeze' the file with one of the presets in squeeze into an .flv file

import that into flash and you're good to go.

you may want to search around the internet on how to build a preloader as well. this way the preloader lets your audience know the file is downloading.\

~Mike
Mike Rinkunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 02:38 PM   #6
Tourist

Thanks everyone! I went ahead and purchased Squeeze on your recommendation and the difference between it and their trial version is amazing! I was able to cut the file size in half.
Brooke Robilio is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion