Cheapest mini-dv cam with pass through at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old July 5th, 2005, 02:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Cheapest mini-dv cam with pass through

Just looking for a cam to capture with that has pass-through... looking for the cheapest sollution thanks

Kevin
Kevin Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #2
Trustee

It's not a camera but if you are just looking to convert analog video/audio to DV, Canopus DVC series converters are a good place to start.

http://www.canopus.us/US/products/In...duct_index.asp

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Yeah, but I could use the cam as a dv deck also, killing two birds with one stone... well actually 3 cause then I could also use this as opposed to borrowing a cam or the XL1s for simple things.
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:11 AM   #4
Trustee

The Sharp VLNZ-100U will do that. It's discontinued, but if you search enough, you should be able to find one for about $200.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 05:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

kevin, I am also looking for the same thing you are, let me know what you go with, I am interested in what you find.
Old July 7th, 2005, 06:29 PM   #6
Major Player

I ended up getting the sharp mentioned... ebay 175... I was hoping to get away with less but guess I got wrapped up in a bidding war and got impatient to just get a cam.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

That's the auction if you care

I'll reply to say how it works out
Old July 8th, 2005, 11:57 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks , I really appreciate the feedback. I don't know to much about the whole bidding on ebay, but I see the number[11] behind her item. Does that number represent the how many of those sharps she has?
Old July 8th, 2005, 01:25 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I have a Sony DRC-TRV22 that I use for this sometimes. I picked up a few on E-Bay in the $250 range...one for $200 plus shipping. They work well...I use them for helmet cams and since I have all Sony Gear I didn't need accessories.
Frank Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 02:00 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tamayo
Thanks , I really appreciate the feedback. I don't know to much about the whole bidding on ebay, but I see the number[11] behind her item. Does that number represent the how many of those sharps she has?
Not following where you see [11] if it was on my bid.. but usually on ebay the number that follows a user's name is their feedback rating... click on it you will see
Old July 21st, 2005, 11:48 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davis
The Sharp VLNZ-100U will do that. It's discontinued, but if you search enough, you should be able to find one for about $200.
Hey Chris, do you have to do anything special with this cam for windows to pick it up as a device after plugging it into the firewire? I have plugged in other camera's and it shows up in the device manager and in vegas as a capture device... this guy doesn't do squat :( I also am an IT guy for a living so this really doesn't look good to me.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 01:26 PM   #11
Major Player

never mind... oddly enough I just had to unplug and replug my firewire cable from the back of the pc... whatever
Old July 23rd, 2005, 07:44 AM   #12
Trustee

Glad it worked, I wouldn't have had an answer for that one, since mine has worked fine from day one.

Strangely, Sharp's official position is they don't support a firewire connection to a PC with this camera. Not that the pc connection is not supposed to work, but rather they don't want to deal with the myriad of support issues this could bring up. Anyway, I've been using this model for more than two years without a lick of trouble.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 07:51 PM   #13
Major Player

Yeah, seems that as companies grow they just don't worry about the consumer as much... oh well.

Glad to hear you have had such great luck... it isn't the best for shooting due to awkward style but the screen and loading style make a decent deck, which is why I bought it ;)
Old September 4th, 2005, 10:25 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Ebay !!!!. I got a Canon MV600i with DV in and out. Records and plays to Fierwire but lens doesn`t work, but who cares, its sitting plugged in to my computer and never leaves it. Cost.......£16 plus postage. Took me about 2 months to find one, but there out there if you`re willing to wait. search in title and description for "faulty" and "spares repairs" in the camcorder section.
Andrew Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2005, 12:54 PM   #15
Major Player

Awesome job... another way to find them is vague searches and hope to find one that has not been titled very well cause ebay's searches are VERY specific and can cause a lot of people to over look some ads :)
Kevin Richard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line