Wide Angle Adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old October 24th, 2001, 10:14 AM   #1
jbvoptical

Wide Angle Adapter

NEW WIDE ANGLE UNDERWATER ADAPTER
FROM
FATHOM IMAGING

WA-906

The new wide-angle adapter delivers a 92-degree field of view, ( PAL diagonal ), with minimal distortion. Full zoom capability of the camcorder is actually enhanced, instead of limited. High resolution “close-ups”, at full zoom, can be recorded in air when the object is only 6 ˝ inches from the port vertex in air and 28 inches from the port vertex in seawater. This enhanced zoom performance eliminates the need for a macro lens.

COMPATIBILITY

1/3 inch CCD, operating in NTSC or PAL format
zoom lens - Min fl > 6.0 mm; @ f/# = 1.6
Max fl < 72 mm; @ f/# = 2.4

Optimized for Sony PD 150 and VX 2000 aspheric camcorder lens.

OPTICAL FEATURES

FULL ZOOM CAPABILITY
Objects as close as 167 mm from the port vertex, (700 mm from port vertex in seawater), can be brought into clear focus while operating the camcorder at full aperture, (f / 2.4), and full-zoom, (fl = 72 mm). Minimum object distances can be reduced significantly when operating at higher f / #.

MINIMUM DISTORTION
Distortion in the extreme corners of the underwater image is limited to less than 4.5 %. The small amount of residual distortion linearly increases with field angle, making any distortion barely perceptible. See attached distortion “Grid Plot”.

COLOR CORRECTION
Low dispersion optical glasses are used in an achromatized optical design to provide excellent color correction at all object distances and zoom settings.

USE IN AIR OR WATER
Nearly constant angular magnification in air and water is a feature of the proprietary port design. During wide-angle operation, the angular magnification difference “in air” versus “in water” is about 2 % for distant objects and about 5% for near objects.
DURABLE OPTICAL COATINGS
All optical surfaces are (H)igh (E)fficiency (B)road (B)and (A)nti-(R)eflection, (HEBBAR), coated. The external surface of the BK7 glass port has a proprietary, seawater resistant, “hard-coat”, which resists scratches and allows aggressive cleaning to remove seawater residue.

HIGH RESOLUTION
Meticulous assembly of precision grade optical components preserves high polychromatic MTF of the optical design. Every Fathom optical component and assembled lens undergoes interferometric testing to ensure consistent optical performance.

WA-906
Old January 24th, 2002, 09:55 AM   #2
sathishrao

Whats a good and economical wide angle lens

I just bought a VX2000. I am an ametuer, and would like to learn more about Digital videography. I would like to get a wide angle lens for the camera, but there are so many of them out there. Is it a safe bet to stay with the Sony's VCL-HG0758 which gives only 0.7X or go with something thats better. I am confused. Please help. I am also looking for the tele lens (VCL-HG1758).Is there any video or book to follow to learn all there is to know about using this camera, other than the manual itself. Thanks for your replies in advance.
Old January 24th, 2002, 10:07 AM   #3
sathishrao

Lighting

One more question. I am planning to get the video light. Which one of the Sony's video lights are good. There is one that has a switchable 10/20Watts light. Does it really help. I noticed that the VX2000 is pretty good in low light conditions. But, will the picture be grainy in low light ? Please help.
Old January 25th, 2002, 03:22 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Re: nwide angle adapters, the Canon 58mm fits the Sony VX2000 just fine and is a superb value for the money... less than $200.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2002, 03:29 PM   #5
New Boot

The Sony .7 may not be wide enough for your taste. The .58 that Chris mentioned might have too much distortion for your taste, but seems like a good value, the century optics.65 is somewhere in between, and is reported to not bend to much at the perimeters and got a good review in DV magazine, down side is it is $400. street price.
Jeff J. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2002, 04:00 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

The Canon is not a .58x -- it has a 58mm thread which means it'll screw onto the front of the Sony. It's about a .7x and has absolutely zero distortion. A superb value for the money at about $180. I read Adam's review in DV Magazine and agree with the faults he found in the Century adapter. Knowing him personally, it bothers me a little that Adam says it's the best he's tried. In my experience, the Canon is much better than the Century. Hope this helps,

Old January 29th, 2002, 04:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hey - We're all amatures at some point... (some of us longer than others...ha!)

I have a Vx2000 and used both the Kenko .65 and the Canon - Go with the Canon, you won't be the least bit sorry.
Wayde Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2002, 05:16 PM   #8
New Boot

"The Canon is not a .58x -- it has a 58mm thread "

...oops, might help to read.

How noticable is the difference between .65 and .7? I have read posts of people disappointed that a .7 not wide enough. I have a century optics .6 (for sale by the way). for a JVC DV500(sold). It does have a bit of distortion, but I still like it.

I had a few Kenkos for a PC-1 and an old hi-8, I would not buy Kenko again.

I also have the century optics fisheye for a PC100, that is a gas, highly recommend it.
Jeff J. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2002, 11:11 AM   #9
sd-diver

Is the canon that everyone recommends the Wide Converter WD-58?

Thanks!
Old February 19th, 2002, 01:02 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Canon WD-58. Yes, that's the one.

Old March 24th, 2002, 11:53 PM   #11
smartydraaws

OpTex .65 wide angle converter

saw that zgc had the optex wide angle for $299 and was wondering if anyone out there had used it???

any other experiences with vx2000 compatable wide angle lenses greatly appreciated as well...

thanks in advance for all replies,

willaim
Old March 25th, 2002, 10:07 AM   #12
Incomplete registration -- contact Admin

Although I have read that people prefer the Canon lense - I love the Sony -
VCL-0752H wide conversion lense - It rarely comes off of my VX 2000. The price is in the same range - and there is a slight 'vignette-ing' on the corners when it is fully wide (outside the 'safe' area) but I think it vastly improves the 'look' of the camera - it is my most used camera accessory.
kgertler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2002, 11:12 AM   #13
combatvideo

VX2000 58mm threads plastic?

Chris,

Here is a question that I could not find a definitive answer to.

1. Is it true that the 58 mm threads on the VX2000 are plastic?

I just can not tell the difference by feel, and I do not want to find out by using a magnet. I saw the other posting regarding this topic by electricweasel, but I am not sure if century is correct in saying that the threads are plastic. It would be amazing to me if sony used plastic threads on a $2800 camera.

If the 58mm threads are plastic, I do not like the idea of having to screw different filters on and off the lens, due to possible wear and tear over time. Due to this, I have been pondering purchasing Century's Rectangular Sunshade/Glass Filterholder (DS-FH44-00), and Schneider 4x4 filters. You can see these at:

http://www.centuryoptics.com/products/video/digital/digsunfiltr.html

What are your thoughts on this? I am inclinded to purchase one for the convenience of not having to screw filters on and off my VX2000, and because Schneider filters are so good. Thanks.
Old April 14th, 2002, 03:36 AM   #14
marina***

bayonet or screw mount on PD150/VX2000?

Could someone please advise on what should the mount type be on the wide angle adapter for the PD150? It is not clear to me whether it should be the screw mount (58mm), or the bayonet mount (58mm)? The different wide angle adapters listed on the B&H site sometimes are described as screw mount/58mm, but others are described as bayonet mount/for Sony PD150 and VX2000.

Also, is the mount on VX2000 and PD150 different? Does one have the bayonet mount, and the other regular screw mount?

Does the Sony .7 wide adapter fit onto the PD150? (it is the screw mount type).

Thanks very much!

Last edited by marina***; April 14th, 2002 at 03:47 AM.
Old April 16th, 2002, 08:45 AM   #15
marina***

Found a reply to my question in one of the earlier threads (by electricweasel). Thanks!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion