Wide Angle Adapter - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 18th, 2003, 03:29 PM   #106
Regular Crew

Do you guys leave your wide angle lense on most of the time? I know zilch but am trying to learn. What is the advantages or disadvantages of leaving lense on?
Charles French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 04:00 PM   #107
Trustee

Do you have any reason to take it off? seems like a sound criteria to me. If I'm using the wide to short telephoto, i'd leave it on. There's rarely an instance that I would use the long telephoto, so it's going to stay on.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 07:01 PM   #108
Trustee

Playing around with the optex I've noticed that a thin stepping ring or a thin protective filter would be in order. That front end is all glass
Old April 18th, 2003, 10:35 PM   #109
Major Player

I hardly ever remove my WA lens from the VX2k.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 06:07 AM   #110
Inner Circle

Charles - advantages of leaving the wide-angle converter on all the time (and we'll assume a zoom through optic here, ok?)

1) Much more useful range of focal lengths in my view.
2) Easier to get in close and get even better sound tracks.
3) Less visible camera shake, easier tracking movements etc.
4) Less focusing worries. Can be locked down more often with less mistakes.
5) Wide-angle perspective control offered.
6) Less hose-pipeing of the scenery, and one shot gets-it-all-in.

And the disadvantages?

1) Probably three extra elements added to the lens line up. That's six extra surfaces all of which are not centred correctly as they rely on the thread or the bayonet. This means more flare, more distortion, less sharpness.

2). Added weight on the front of the camera.

3) Loss of differential focus because max tele is so reduced.

4) Inability to add filters for fear of vignetting.

Me? I use mine nearly all the time. Panasonic know this and their DVX100 has a much more wide-angle zoom fitted as standard - the same as having the VX2k with a 0.7x widie fitted.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 07:14 AM   #111
Wrangler

I leave mine on almost all the time as well. However, I noticed that, on my VX2000, optical steady shot seems less effective with the lens on than off.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 08:19 AM   #112
Inner Circle

Paul - are you serious? You say optical steady shot seems less effective with the lens on than off. Oh - I've re-read it - you think the SSSS is still effective with a wide-angle in place but not as effective as when used on the standard zoom, is that it?

Well, try this test. Zoom to wide angle with SSSS turned on. Gently wave the camera about and note the steadying effect. Now attach the wide-angle converter and zoom up to the same focal length, so the viewfinder shows the same image as before. Gently shake the camera. Do you see any difference in the power or effectiveness of the SSSS? I don't.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 11:06 AM   #113
Wrangler

Quote:
Paul - are you serious? You say optical steady shot seems less effective with the lens on than off. Oh - I've re-read it - you think the SSSS is still effective with a wide-angle in place but not as effective as when used on the standard zoom, is that it?
I know it doesn't sound right, but that's been my experience. Both at full-wide, and at tele, steady shot seems more effective without the wide angle lens in place. I can't think of any reason why this should be so, but it was quite apparent in the video. My shots were steadier without the wide angle lens, than with.

I was doing shots in which I would follow my subjects along, walking behind and hand-holding the camera. Steady shot was more effective at full-wide without the wide angle lens that with it.

The other thing I did was shot at fairly extreme tele, from a seated position with my arms braced. My tele shots without the wide angle lens were much steadier than with.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 01:30 PM   #114
Trustee

Paul
With the optex on the VX2K is a hefty pig.
What kind of brace if any do you use and what do you use as a filter holder.

I also wondered how far you cinch up on the bayonet mount when tightening it.
Thanks
Bryan
Old April 19th, 2003, 02:09 PM   #115
Major Player

I believe the owners manual to VX2k states that a WA lens attachment may reduce the steadyshot effectiveness.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 05:25 PM   #116
Regular Crew

I am thinking of the Optex for my PD150. Has anyone tried both the Optex and Century side-by-side? Is one shaper than the other or is there no real difference other than $100?

Will Boggs
Will Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 07:15 PM   #117
Trustee

I really doubt that by doing a simple A/B test anyone could see any difference. If there is a difference it will be something subtle that'll be noticed in time. The front and rear elements are very well coated and the lens construction is excellent. (I'm picky)
Old April 20th, 2003, 07:50 AM   #118
Regular Crew

I am picky too. I have bought a few Optex gizmos over the years and like their work. The machining is always top notch. But, Century has become the "d'facto standard" in the relm of lens adaptors. I guess I can always get the Optex .65 and run a few tests and keep it if it is what works.

Will Boggs
Will Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2003, 09:09 AM   #119
Regular Crew

VX9000

I do have Sony VX9000 Camcorder DV with 52mm lens. Can somebody help me with wide lens I need to by? I found one on E-bay for aprox. USD 60. Model SONY VCL-R0752. Do you think it will fit and work on my camcorder?
Have about dark corners and focus?
Thanks
Peter Kulka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2003, 06:25 AM   #120
Regular Crew

Ok I'm buying the optex today. Does anyone have suggestion on a uv or polorizer I should get. I read something about vignetting occurring using a polorizer. Also whats the cost on the cavision sunshade.
Charles French is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion