Wide Angle Adapter - Page 18 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old May 11th, 2004, 02:37 AM   #256
Inner Circle

At the price point the coating isn't too bad, though not the best - which is why I stress the importance of using an efficient hood.

Ony the front element of my Tecpro is coated, whereas with more expensive lenses all the elements will be coated. But the exit pupil is working 'in the dark' so its coating is far less important.

When you get it I'll be interested to hear what you think of the barrel distortion.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 02:54 AM   #257
Trustee

Yer makin' me nervous, Tom. But I will let you know.
I was told by the distributor that, if you were to
zoom in to the same angle of view as the
Century wide, that the distortion is similar
percetage-wise.
I think I can live with some distortion.
Basically all wides distort -- even the
"highly regarded" ones -- from what
I gather. With maybe one or two
exceptions, but there you're dealing
with other trade offs such as sharpness
and price.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 03:09 AM   #258
Inner Circle

Yes, that's probably about right. If you fit the Tecpro and zoom up to the 0.65 position so as to equal the field of view of the Century the distortions will look about the same I'd guess. It's not a test I've done.

My Bolex Aspheron 0.52x doesn't distort but you're right about the price tradeoff. How nice to be without the distortions though. Just last week I was tracking backwards through all these rooms of a grand hotel as the bride and groom followed me. The door frames, the hanging pictures, the walls and windows were all composed of straight lines - just as they are in real life.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:57 AM   #259
New Boot

Tom, you are correct, It was not the lens cousing the softness at max zoom it was the combination with the filter I had on. I was curious after your post as the TecPro did not show that on my other 2000 or my DSR 250 - I have one on each cam. I changed the filter and it is verry sharp allthe way zommed in. My Bad! And I sell these lenses - I was thinking I was being 100% honest but instead I was just dumb! Oh well!
Bob Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2004, 01:58 PM   #260
Regular Crew

Wide Angle View

I have researched many forums for an answer or at least a clue as to what kind of 58mm wide angle lens I should buy for my VX2100 and I am confused. The battle rages between the:

Sony VCL-HG0758 for $269 at http://tinyurl.com/3x2u4

and the

Century Precision Optics DS-65CV-58 0.65x for $399.00 at http://tinyurl.com/3bxwp

From what I can piece together the Century is the best of the two. But by how much. I am just an amatuer videographer and do a couple of jobs here and there. Has anyone used either and had good or bad results? I am worried mainly about the amount of viginetting both in unzooomed mode and full zoom. I just want to get a feel for what people are using. I am leaning toward the Sony because of cost but do not want to make a $300 mistake. Any input is welcomed. Thank You
Gabriel Selmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2004, 03:04 PM   #261
Wrangler

I got that Sony lens about 3 years ago for my VX-2000 and have been very happy with it. Seems to zoom through fine and I don't see much if any distortion. I believe I read that it's manufactured by someone else (Kenko?) and branded by Sony. This makes sense, because I discovered the band that says "Sony" and the model number is actually sort of a thin rubber band in a groove which comes off. The only downside is that it doesn't have filter threads.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2004, 05:32 PM   #262
Major Player

For the money the Canon WD-58 works well. I have had no problems with full zoom thru at least with my eyes and little to no distortion. The only downside is its .7 and is screw on with no filter threads. You may also want to look at the Optex .65 bayonet mount. $299 from ZGC.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2004, 08:05 PM   #263
Regular Crew

That's very interesting that the Sony lens is not done by Sony. Could that mean there is an equivilant that's cheaper in price?

I have heard alot about the Canon and did not even consider it until now. For now I think I will go with the Sony.

The closest thing I can come to to protecting the lens is this item:

http://tinyurl.com/3d6cl

But the $$$$$ are tooooo high. Thanks for the input
Gabriel Selmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2004, 08:52 PM   #264
Wrangler

I think these are probably a lot less expensive...
Old June 24th, 2004, 02:51 PM   #265
Regular Crew

the kenko pro .65x WA is supposed to be the same thing as the sony WA. what's nice about the kenko is the front filter threads. i tried to buy this a month ago but apparantly is discontinued. you can still find the bayonet mount version on B & H.

i ended up getting the canon wa for my vx2100 and it works great...plus it comes with a lense hood.
Greg Wolfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 01:07 PM   #266
Regular Crew

Do know how much this lens costs retail?
Michael Bendixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 01:14 PM   #267
Regular Crew

wide angle price

Does anyone know how much the included wide angle for the PD170 costs by itself. Thanks.
Michael Bendixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 02:48 PM   #268
Major Player

The lens costs about $270.00 at B&H Look on their site for the VCL HGO758
You can see it on my camera with a Cavision lens shade at http://www.digitalprods.com/flare.htm
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 03:48 PM   #269
Wrangler

I'd second Wayne's impressions. I have this lens for my VX-2000 and it is quite nice.
Old July 13th, 2004, 06:01 PM   #270
Trustee

agree with wayne - have it on a 170 (came bundled). very nice, but never use it full wide, just slightly off....
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion