Wide Angle Adapter - Page 25 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old September 3rd, 2005, 08:01 AM   #361
New Boot

PD150= Wide Angle to use with Cokin P Holder, possible?

Hi, this is my first post here.
Just bought a sec-hand PD150P from a friend, i bought it because i know how much he cared about the cam n the cam is as good as new in and out(only 200 hrs usage).

Okay, the PD comes with a set of Cokin filters and a holder, P series. I love using the Cokins. However, im planning to add a wide angle converter (Canon WD68H or Sony VCL-HG0758, both with their hood) and the problem is, i was told by some friends that i would no longer be able to use the Cokin holder if i add the wide angle converter.

I checked on Cokin's website and found out tht they have a converter n holder for wide angle, but theres no thread in front of the wide angle converters to screw in the holder.

Is there a possible way to still use the Cokin P series set with the mentioned wide angle converters, or is there another wide angle cnvter tht can be used with the COkins?

Thanks for any input..
Old September 3rd, 2005, 10:56 AM   #362
Wrangler

Please do not hijack threads. Start a new one for a new topic.
Old September 4th, 2005, 01:00 AM   #363
Inner Circle

I think you're going to have trouble using the Cokins with the very large front elements of the w'angle converters Nabil. They'll also introduce flare (the Cokin hood is not very good) and you might be better off filtering in post.

Great camera BTW. Enjoy! But it sure does need more wide-angle straight out of the box.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2005, 03:32 AM   #364
New Boot

thanks tom and sorry mike, didnt mean to hijack threads. as far as i can remember, tht was my first post in here.

well, ive done some research, and asked some friends, its impossible to use the Cokin holder in front of the wide angle converters. but nvm, i need to shoot wide angle more than i need the Cokins now.

Im from malaysia, btw.
Old September 4th, 2005, 12:06 PM   #365
Wrangler

The Cokin product, in my estimation, have never been of the highest quality but they may work for specific applications without having to spend the money for the 'big' systems.

Try to do the work in post and see if that meets your needs, as has already been suggested.

For temporary needs, consider cardboard, tin cans and other materials that can be adapted for a one-time use at little or no cost. It is amazing to see what professionals use to solve problems. Many times those solutions are made into products that we then can buy in the market.
Old April 25th, 2006, 03:22 AM   #366
Major Player

Sony Wide Conversion and Tele Conversion Lenses

Hi,

I just bought a Sony VCL-HG0758 Wide Conversion Lens and a Sony VCL-HG1758 Tele Conversion Lens to try on my VX2100E.

I'm not sure whether to be dissapointed or not!

Wide Conversion:

Is it normal to have (I think it is called) 'barrel distortion' with a wide angle lens. I have noticed that when fully zoomed out with the wide angle lens there is a definite but slight 'curving' or distortion of straight lines or objects in the middle of the image (top and bottom). Is this normal?

Tele Conversion:

Seems like a hell of a price to pay for a very 'slight' magnification!

Also - with both lenses - the images do not appear to be as sharp as usual i.e. without the lenses.

Are there any tips / tricks / traps to using these lenses - specifically things like aperture setting, shutter speed, ND filters, steadyshot, 'do's and dont's', etc. etc?

Regards,

Dale.
Dale Paterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 09:42 AM   #367
Wrangler

Any auxiliary lens used on a large aperature prime lens is going to affect the sharpness and distortion of the image. I have a Century WA that causes barrel distortion and softens the image. Part of the problem, I suspect, is caused by the large aperature of the prime lens.

I say this because the Century WA on my PC-110 causes no distortion and no measurable softening of the image. Fast lens systems almost always suffer from more optical distortions than those of smaller aperatures.

I thought the WA I use on my PD-150 was defective and sent it to Century. They charge me to verify that is was a good example of their product.

I had previously purchased a Canon WA and returned it for barrel distortion. The Century has very slightly better performance than the Canon at least on the two samples I've tried.

One other thing you've not yet discovered. Aux lens suck up a bit of light so your camera isn't quite as 'fast' as it is without them.

Try to stay away from the extremes of the zoom and aperature ranges.
Old April 25th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #368
Inner Circle

With convertors, rule is shoot them only if you need them. I have both of same lenses for my VX2K. The gives a very nice image, and in tight places you absolutely need it. It does soften things up a bit. I've used telephoto only on a limited basis. I did use it to shoot "kite surfing", and it worked well on tripod. If it the same lense I have, you get vignetting right at about half zoom, so the lower end of the zoom range is usless.
Old April 26th, 2006, 02:57 AM   #369
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
With convertors, rule is shoot them only if you need them. I have both of same lenses for my VX2K. The gives a very nice image, and in tight places you absolutely need it. It does soften things up a bit. I've used telephoto only on a limited basis. I did use it to shoot "kite surfing", and it worked well on tripod. If it the same lense I have, you get vignetting right at about half zoom, so the lower end of the zoom range is usless.
I use the Sony VCL-HG1758 almost all the time on my VX2100. I have made several tests with and without it and can detect no loss of resolution and no softening when it's used. I have a 58mm Telesor .5X wide-angle lens I bought in 1988. I works great on the VX2100 and causes no distortion anywhere at any zoom point. Its resolution is very high. If either of these add-on lenses was lowering resolution, I'd see it on my monitor, which is rated at 700 horiz. lines for SD.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:14 PM   #370
New Boot

Wide Angle Lens for the VX2100...

I got a Vision Optics High Definition Pro-Digital Lens with Macro 0.5 XAF 58mm Wide Angle Lens.

I really like it but notice when I maximize the wide angle feature, I get a circle...not the fisheye type. How can I get a maximized wide angle feature.

Truth is, without the wide angle lens, I get a wider shot with the standard Sony Lens cause when you add the wide angle lens it adds the corners and you don't get a full picture...

Whats up? Is it the lens, or is it a setting? Do all wide angle lens do this or is this just a cheap lens?
Michael Littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 04:35 AM   #371
Inner Circle

I've never heard of the Vision Optics make Michael, and generally that doesn't bode well. Does the lens come with a 58 mm screw fitting right out the box, or are you using a step-up ring, maybe from 43 mm to 58 mm, something like that?

What you're seeing is vignetting of the image, and generally it means the wide-angle's entry and exit pupils are too small in diameter, or that you're using filters between the lens and your camera's zoom. Take them off.

0.5x is not madly wide on the VX/PD and you certainly should choose a lens that doesn't vignette. Beware - some vignette the full frame but the v'finder masking doesn't alert you to this.

I think it's time to swap it out for a proper 0.5x that allows you full use of the lens. Have a look at Raynox, Kenko, Tecpro, Century, Tokina.

tom.
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:37 AM   #372
New Boot

Tom....thanks! A lot! I'm assuming that at a true .5x you get some distortion kinda like a fish-eye effect...which is good. Is there a such thing as a wider angle lens vs. a .5x?

This forum has been so helpful.
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #373
Inner Circle

You didn't answer my questions Michael, so why should I answer yours?

:-)

Generally yes, a 0.5x wide-angle converter will give you very noticeable barrel distortion, where door frames bow outwards as you track room to room. Some don't (mine don't) but then I use expensive aspherical elements.

There are indeed wider lenses than the 0.5X, but generally these come with intentional vignetting, lots of barrel distortion and are not good for brides and grooms and buildings.

tom.
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #374
New Boot

Tom,

I got the UV filter off and lost the barrell distortion - completely. Picture looks great. I'm looking for a little more field of view...anyone know of a reputable wider angle lens that has a bit of fish-eye relevance?
Old June 14th, 2006, 01:13 AM   #375
Inner Circle

Have a look here Michael - Raynox have a good demo site.
http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/egindex.htm
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion