Wide Angle Adapter - Page 23 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old May 18th, 2005, 03:39 PM   #331
Wrangler

That makes no sense (the action, not you). The same lens is being operated by the same signals. What you describe is controlled by the Back focus adjustment on the camera, an adjustment that is not accessible to the user.

If you set the focus at the full zoomed out position (the only position at which you should focus in this case), the lens should stay in focus across the zoom range. The only effect the WA adapter will make, regardless of brand, is to slightly soften the focus across the entire range of zoom positions.
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:36 PM   #332
New Boot

Hi Mike,

First of all ...amature alert here...that would be me, so all I can do is describe what happens when I zoom. Up until reading these posts I had no idea the lens should stay focused all the way across the zoom. Since reading this thread and your recent post I have been experimenting with zooming on a tripod...no difference....and cleaning the WA and the built in lens. Still the same. Loss of focus about mid way through the zoom.

What seems odd and I can't confirm that this is absolute, but after zooming all the way in...when I zoom back out it seems to stay in focus ....or at least looks better.

BTW this is with both the WA and the built in. You think it's possible I got some bad glass? Wouldn't make a difference now as I'm out of warranty. Like I say I thought this was normal behaviour. Who knew it was supposed to stay focused? (Just now getting the time to get to know this camera after little over a year of owning it.)

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Jim Hines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:57 PM   #333
Wrangler

OK, terminology mixup here.

You focus the lens at maximum zoom (narrowest field of view). It will then stay in focus as you zom towards the minimum zoom, (widest field of view).

All lens designs 'breath' to some extent. That is, their focus does shift a little bit as you zoom the lens. But not to a great extent.
Old July 18th, 2005, 04:45 PM   #334
Regular Crew

Wide Angle Adapter for PD-170

I am almost ready to purchase my 170, when they are back in stock at B&H. I am interested in the wide angle adapter. Is this for adding a wide angle lens? Or will it adjust the 12X lens that is incorporated to a wide spec? Any ideas, none of the information I can find is that forth coming.
Devin Eskew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #335
Wrangler

Hi Devin. On B&H's website, click on the "Item Includes" tab on the PD-170 page and you'll see it lists the VCL-HG0758 Wide Angle Adapter. This is a screw-in wide angle adaptor which is added to the front of the builtin lens. It's a .7x adaptor, so that means it makes the lens' existing focal length 70% of what it would be normally. So, for an easy example, if you zoomed the lens to its full-wide position of 6mm the adaptor would make it behave like a 4.2mm lens (6.0mm x 0.70 = 4.2mm).

I have one of these lenses for my VX-2000 and it produces a very nice image with little noticeable distortion or softness. The only downside is that it doesn't have filter threads on the front.

Here's some more info on the adaptor lens from B&H's website:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 08:30 AM   #336
Major Player

If you want a good wide angle buy yourself the bayonet mount Century Optics .65 lens.. I have one and it's great, if you want bigger, I own a Extreme Fish Eye from Century and that lens is just crazy..
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #337
Inner Circle

I can vouch for the Century 0.65x wide-angle converter, and once you've used a bayonet, who would go back to screw threads? Pentax realised this back in 1974, and here we are, still faffing about with plastic threads.

The Century is beautifully made, heavy, expensive, doesn't vignette the image and has excellent anti-reflection coating. The only thing I'd say is that for the price (and the power) I think it should barrel distort less.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 06:43 AM   #338
Major Player

So would you say the Century 0.65X is better or at least as good (optically) as the Sony Wide Angle lens?
I really really hate the screw on design of this lens and I am always afraid I am going to strip the threads especially when I am trying to get it on in a hurry.
Old August 18th, 2005, 07:21 AM   #339
Inner Circle

Optically (apart from the barrel distortion as I've said) the Century 0.65x lens was the best of a group test of wide-angle converters that I carried out. The Sony wasn't included in the test, but my guess is that although the Century has a bayonet that enables rapid fit and removal, the optical qualities are such that you would be happy to leave it in place all the time.

I really really hate the screw thread as well. Never sure when it's going to drop off as you unscrew it, the 4:3 hood is never perfectly aligned (depends how tightly you screw the lens in place) and of course there's always the fear of cross-threading. The latter means you take more time, and very often when you suddenly need a wider view, that's exactly what you don't have.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 08:10 AM   #340
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Toogood
So would you say the Century 0.65X is better or at least as good (optically) as the Sony Wide Angle lens?
I really really hate the screw on design of this lens and I am always afraid I am going to strip the threads especially when I am trying to get it on in a hurry.
Comparing the two just makes me gasp! Seriously though, hands down the quality of the Century Lens .65 or any of there lenses are amazing. I own 4 Century lens for my PD150. I also couple that with a sunshade with 4x4 glass filter holder for those lenses since the stock sunhood won't fit..

Extreme Fish Eye
.65 Wide Angle
2x Tele-Photo Convertor
16:9 Ratio Convertor which I will probably sell since I don't really do anything in widescreen..
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 09:07 AM   #341
Regular Crew

Sony .7X "High Grade" wide. ???

Greeting from a new member

Hope I have this posted in the right place.

I'm interested in comments on the Sony "High Grade" .7X adapter for use on an HC90.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=250110

I might "need" this adapter when I do walking tours on trails. I like the idea of Ron Dexters low POV mount and thought that maybe a 'wide' would help with the overall effect. I.e. I want to get a dog's eye view of a trail:
http://www.rondexter.com/stop_motion...ow_pov_rig.htm

Thanks for any help (and or re-direction to the correct post forum).

JohnG
John Godden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 08:00 PM   #342
Major Player

Well the screw on design of the Sony wide angle lense is inconvenient if you take it off. I never do though. Sony also makes a hood just like the factory one only larger called the LSF-S58 for about $50 that fits right over the screw in Sony lense using the bayonet mount. If you're like me and leave the wide angle lense on constantly, it's really a convenient setup.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 08:09 PM   #343
Wrangler

Getting back to the original question... regardless of the optical quality, the standard version of the PD-170 includes the Sony wide angle lens, so if you're buying one just be aware of this:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...sp=11&id=71949
Quote:
Wide conversion lens included as standard
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Quote:
Item includes
DSR-PD170 3-CCD Mini DVCAM Camcorder
VCL-HG0758 Wide Angle Adapter
BTW, just looking on B&H's website I see that all their PD-170 packages are listed as out of stock. Hmm.....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 02:11 PM   #344
Regular Crew

Wide Angle Lense for Sony VX2000

Hey Folks,

I need some advice on a good wide angle lense for a good price. I will be using it to shoot various things but especially working accident scenes for training and development purposes. Thanks for your help.

Joe
Joe Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 02:26 PM   #345
Wrangler

This has been pretty thoroughly covered here, as well as other threads if you do a search

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=47930

Anything which works on the PD-170 will also work on the VX-2000
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion