Wide Angle Adapter - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old February 17th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #301
Major Player

What hood would you suggest when using the sony wide angle lens?

Thanks,
Scott
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2005, 03:58 PM   #302
Inner Circle

The best hoods are aspect-ratio hoods (rather than cilindrical ones) If you shoot in 16:9, aim to get a 16:9 hood. Cavision sell some good ones that clamp onto the outside of the w'angle barrel.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 07:32 AM   #303
Major Player

I have the Sony LSFS58 hood with the Sony VCLHG0758 wide angle lens. The LSFS58 looks just like the stock VX2000 lense hood but it is bigger, comes apart, and lets you keep your wide angle lense on all the time. This is exactly what I wanted. It's kind of minimal as a lense hood, but it's so convenient that that's what I use all the time.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 07:38 AM   #304
Major Player

Is there any reason to get a sunshade over a cheap (ie Formatt) matte box ?
James Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2005, 02:06 AM   #305
Regular Crew

Sony wide angle adapter clips upper left and right corners?

Hello there -- another question from a relative newcomer.

I have a pd 150 and a Sony vcl-mhg07 wide-end conversion lens. 0.7.

For some reason, when I put on the conversion lens, the upper left and upper right corners of the picture seem to be clipped -- at least when I am fully zoomed out.

If I zoom in a bit, the clipping goes away (or falls off the edge of what is viewable on the screen).

But why does it clip in the first place? And is there any way to eliminate this problem?

Thanks!

Albert Wong

PS. This is what I have on the camera:
UV protector 58 mm
58 to 52 mm adapter ring
Sony vcl-mhg07 wide-end conversion lens X0.7.
Albert Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2005, 09:28 AM   #306
Wrangler

Re: Sony wide angle adapter clips upper left and right corners?

PS. This is what I have on the camera:
UV protector 58 mm
58 to 52 mm adapter ring
Sony vcl-mhg07 wide-end conversion lens X0.7.

And that is exactly your problem. You have an undersize lens on the camera and it is bound to vignette at fully wide zoom. You will have to restrict your zoom which is hard to do or obtain a properly sized WA adapter lens for the camera.
Old March 11th, 2005, 09:32 AM   #307
Regular Crew

If I may add,

I had the exact same problem when using the Sony .7 wide angle lense WITH a UV protector. Once I removed the UV protector and attached the lense, no more vingetting / clipping!
Brian Vilevac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2005, 12:46 PM   #308
Regular Crew

Thanks again for the response!

Thanks for the response, Mike! -- maybe not the response I wanted to hear :-( but the truth is ultimately better, isn't it.

And, Brian I will definitely give it a shot without the UV filter -- if I can figure out how to twist it off! :-) it's on really tight!

Thanks again, guys.

Albert Wong
Old March 11th, 2005, 01:05 PM   #309
Wrangler

Put a rubber band around it first. The reason they don't come right off is that when you squeeze them to get a good grip, you distort the threads.
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #310
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tip :-) -- (and I thought I was going to have to start working out of the gym! :-) )
Old March 12th, 2005, 02:05 PM   #311
Inner Circle

Don't forget that if you vignette the image as seen in the viewfinder / side-screen, then the full frame (as seen on your pc monitor and as see on the wall if projected) will show far more vignetting.

Worse is to come. If you have Steadyshot turned on and move the camera at all the vignetting will increase. The answer is to use a 58 mm w'angle converter and remove all filters between converter and camera zoom.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 03:58 AM   #312
Regular Crew

Tom --

oh no :-(

(And I thought I was done with new purchases for a while... ooopf)

I guess I'm going to have to start making more money so I can get more toys! :-)

Albert
Old March 18th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #313
Regular Crew

Good news:

Just an update -- it turns out that without the 58 mm UV filter -- I get no "vignetting" at full wide! --

Thanks everyone.
Los Angeles, California
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:17 AM   #314
Regular Crew

Sony Wide Angle Lens quality?

Just wanted some input on how others feel about the included WA lens with the PD170. I know from some of the other posts in the past many people feel its inferior to some of the other $500 - $600 lenses on the market...but how inferior do you think it is compared to the others - if any at all? How many people even use a WA?

I would be using it mainly for weddings, and I've used mine a few times around the house (i've only had the cam for about 2 weeks). It really doesn't seem very sharp, especially the more I zoom; but I don't want to spend another 5 or 6 hundred if the others don't make a huge difference. The fuzziness may just be my imagination anyway after reading the other posts.
Brandon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #315
Inner Circle

First you have to understand that any of the WA attachment will go soft as you zoom in. You are far better off walking in to the subject than zooming.

I have both a Century Optics and a KenkoPRO for my 150s and I actually use the KenkoPRO more for a number of reasons (some are stupid) First on my monitor with my eye I have never seen a HUGH difference in the quality. Mind you I said a HUGH difference. Of course there is a difference but not enough for my clients to notice, heck, other video guys (and gals) I am friends with have a hard time seeing the difference. The Century is a tad sharper but they both have very littel fall off on the corners but again the Century has just slightly less.

As for the Sony lens, well, it's not bad. It's probably on par with the Kenko or Optix.

As for when you'll use it, I use it when I can't get the shot any other way. Especially during the reception when the dance floor is crowded. I have always liked walking the floor with the camera overhead. It can be a bit dangerous but hey thats why we get the big bucks right!?

I've used it on occassion for ceremonies-a very small chapel and sometimes outdoors depending on where I set up.
Use the right tool for the job and the job becomes a lot easier.
HTHs
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion