Wide Angle Adapter - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old October 13th, 2003, 02:24 PM   #211
Trustee

Tom
I didn't even bother with the cavision lens. (mainly because of your review). Their accessory line is well thought out and they are constantly improving it. Optics are something i don't take chances with.

I'd stay with century, optex or canon. that's just my opinion.

So far as their matte boxes and lens shades, they're a great bang for the buck . So is their line of audio accessories (boom poles and wind shields). I wouldn't touch their generic filters, but they do rep for Formatt filters. Formatt is fine stuff.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 10:12 AM   #212
Trustee

Not Much Discussed: PD170 Included Wide Angle

I notice there's no mention of it on the Sony America site. And the impression I get is that it won't be included with the VX2100.
From what I gather not many people use this lens now. I looked into getting it at one time. I know it's suppose to be pretty good- sized. [Heard a suggestion that it gives that "pro look" when combined with a matte box ;-)] I heard it goes soft at the long end. I'd rather have a Century Optics, but if it really will be included at no extra charge ...
Anyone here using this lens?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 06:01 PM   #213
Major Player

I guess none of the regulars here use this lens, Dave, so I'll give you my impressions of it, which I use on a regular basis with my PD150. This is a very good piece of glass, but somewhat expensive if you pay list for it. It is also physically quite large, and therefore heavy. The front element is almost four inches in diameter, which means four inch filters, if you want to use filters. There are no threads for filters, so you will have to use a matte box, or a more inexpensive lens shade with filter holder. Check with Cavision.

This lens is not an extreme wide angle; it will turn the standard lens into the 35mm equivalent of a 30.24mm-363mm lens. But since it is not extreme wide, it also does not distort as much as some other lenses. It is a complete zoom through lens, and remains sharp all the way to the end, contrary to what you remarked. Definitely much sharper than the less expensive Canon.

This is a great lens for doing "talking head" type interviews, where you approach your subject and do your own interviews. Tighten in just a few millimeters and you will have a nice size subject with no wide angle distortion. Add a good shotgun mic, and you will get excellent results with your subjects about three feet from the lens.

Would I buy this lens again? Tough call. I got a real good price on it, versus what the Century would have cost me. And it has been a great performer. But I do like the Century with the bayonet mount, and the smaller size. I bought the Cavision lens shade for mine, and it does make for a very pro looking package. But I also have my "flarebuster" handy, as these lenses will find flares inside a closet with the light turned out.

You pays your money, and you takes your choice.

Wayne Orr, SOC
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2003, 04:14 PM   #214
New Boot

PD-150 Fish Eye and Wide Angle Lenses

I am looking for a fish eye and/or wide angle lense for my sony pd150 - do i need an adapter to mount these lenses and any suggestions on where i can find the lenses?? Thanks in advance for your help
Chad Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2003, 07:16 PM   #215
Inner Circle

You want a 58mm lens attachment. I prefer bayonet mount but some folks like screw mount, so you choose.
There are lots of brand names in WA not so many in fish eye. Try bhphoto.com to at least look around for the various lenses.

For my own use I have both a Century Optics and a Kenko Pro WA lens for my 150's and althought the Century is a bit sharper than the Kenko Pro, I use the Kenko more than the Century. Mainly because if anything happens to it, it's alot less expensive than the Kenko. But that's me. My brides don't see any difference as they are both zoom thru, don't vignette the corners and only hurt the iris about a stop.

Go to bhphoto and see whats out there. They're also a great place to buy from.

Good Luck,
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2003, 09:01 PM   #216
Regular Crew

w/a fisheye

you might try centurys web page they have a 58 mm wa/ reversible to a fish eye which could get you both and I think its only around 350 at bh

m
Old December 3rd, 2003, 10:23 AM   #217
New Boot

Thanks guys - so the screw mount just simply screws on to the already existing lens?? And the Bayonet mount does what?? -- I guess i am asking what is the difference?? -- thanks again for your help!!!
Chad Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2003, 12:06 PM   #218
Inner Circle

The bayonet mount turns and locks onto the exsisting lens. I prefer it because IMHO its faster to put on and take off and less chance of cross threading. But thats me.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 09:42 PM   #219
Major Player

But how do you bayonet mount on a PD-150? Is there an adapter for it?

So I take it if you can mount a bayonet adapter on a PD-150, the advantage, other then speed change, would be to pickup any lens types from any photo shops?
Frederic Segard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 01:42 AM   #220
Trustee

The bayonet mount attaches to the lens shade mounting lugs. The benifit is a more secure mount. I don't really trust a 1 lb lens on those cheezi threads. it's really easy to cross thread if you're in a hurry.

The mount is proprietory and the lens is an auxilary adapter so, no you can't use any old lens from a camera store.

I use an Optex bayonet mount. I think it's an excellent value for $300 US and it's available from one of our sponsors. It can be bought from Kingsway motion picture in Canada (Toronto) for about the same as the US price.

Optex UK isn't that cheezi camera accessory line that we see in canadian photo shops (Gentec). Optex are pretty big in Video lenses and originate in the UK.

http://www.zgc.com/zgc.nsf/active/8AC99EF37C80586885256D3A00736F01
Old December 15th, 2003, 05:49 AM   #221
Major Player

PD170 Wide angle/hood.

Howdy.

(I had my first case of lens flare over the weekend with me
Canon WD58)

Has anyone bought/used the bundled wide angle adaptor and
hood that is bundled with the new PD170? Is the hood an effective
shade and is it available for purchase on its own?

Rgds
Lee
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 07:29 AM   #222
Trustee

Look at the cavision lens shade.

http://www.cavision.com/LensHood/LH100S.htm

It's a clamp on and it works well. The shade is $60 US and the final fit to the lens barrel uses a split ring adapter ($5). It has a soft rubber shield on a plastic or metal back plate. The ABS backplate works just fine. It also has a 105mm filter thread.
Old December 15th, 2003, 07:56 AM   #223
Major Player

Just had a look. $60US seems affordable but i'm wondering if that shade is deep enough to make a difference to what i already have (the CanonWD58 hood - too shallow). Anything deeper available? The cavision 3x3 mattebox looks like it'd do the trick but i'm afraid to ask how much that costs... (?)

Anything else affordable & effective out there, cavision or otherwise??

new PD170 lens/hood??
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 12:34 PM   #224
Wrangler

Sometimes you cannot shield the light source from the lens. If the light is in the scene, the shield is useless (as I"m certain you know). No shade will help in this case.

If it is a reflection from the interior of the shade and back to the lens you might try a flag. Flare Buster is a good tool as long as the camera is stationary (as it must for most flags to function correctly). About $30 US
Old December 16th, 2003, 05:52 AM   #225
New Boot

The hood that's bundled with the PD170 doesn't fit the wide - which i'd been led to believe it did. The lens is a 0.7 - would have been nice if it had been a bit wider.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion