Wide Angle Adapter - Page 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old September 24th, 2004, 03:30 AM   #286
Trustee

"I had canon xm2 with canon 0,7x wide lens and didn't notice EVER lose of sharpness and resolutino on any disortion using wide lens attached"

Jakub,
I use the same setup and agree with you 100%.
In fact, the Canon wide adapter stays on the camera full-time (unless I should really need the tight end of the standard lens.)

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2004, 10:52 AM   #287
Regular Crew

<<<-- Saying that: "You've got wide conversion lens to do wide shots" is really stupid - imagine taking it off every single time when you want do do some details close ups to achieve good quality picture. :) -->>>

Well that's what I have to do. It's inconvenient but do-able.
Nick Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 05:33 AM   #288
Major Player

My Telesor .5X wideangle lens, with a 58mm thread, gives sharp, undistorted images on any camcorder I have. There's no vignetting at any zoom setting. Although I bought it 17 years ago for
$160., it's as though it was made to order for my VX2100. I'd recommend it as
an excellent performer and great buy for the VX and PD-series cameras. If you have good luck and find someplace you can buy them nowadays, let me know, as I'd like to pick up another as a spare.

Steve McDonald
Steve McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 07:42 AM   #289
Inner Circle

You claim to have a 0.5x zoom through wide-angle converter that doesn't suffer from distortion Steve? Sorry, but I simply don't believe you - much as I'd like to.

If you set up your camera + converter perpendicular to the side of a building, are you claiming that there's no distortion of any of the straight lines (windows, doors, brickwork)?

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2004, 05:58 PM   #290
Trustee

filters for 170 wide angle lens...

anyone know of any - mainly uv to protect lens....

leslie
Old October 31st, 2004, 07:34 PM   #291
Wrangler

There is always a way although I don't use one on the WA I use for my 150 since there is no filter thread on the beast.

An email to B&H Photovideo should get you an answer.
Old November 1st, 2004, 04:06 AM   #292
Trustee

thanks mike,

neither does the sony supplied w/a with the 170 have any thread. my main concern is obviously protection rather than filtering.

was even thinking about a piece of optical perspex on the lends hood?

all the best,

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 08:15 AM   #293
Inner Circle

I know you mean well Leslie, but unless you're going to (rough) sea in a sailing boat or photographing children's boisterous parties I'd not bother with a UV over the w/angle converter. And this from a man who advocates that you wear one at all times in front of your standard zoom lens, simply as mechanical insurance protection.

The Sony w/angle will be a three element converter and this adds to the flare on your film of course. Making it intop a 4 elemet only adds to the problem. On top of that the increased DOF means that added filters have to be kept spotlessly clean - a near impossibility - or the marks show up on film.

I use a good rubber hood from Cavision, and at least this keeps some of the rain and sticky fingers away.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 10:24 AM   #294
Wrangler

I too use a rubber hood. The lens hood from my RB-67 6 by7 cm film camera fits perfectly.
Old November 14th, 2004, 10:49 AM   #295
Major Player

Wide Angle?

Can anyone recommend the Century Precision Optics 0.65x converter lens for the PD-170 versus the Canon WD-58?
Is the bayonnet version preferable to the screw on?
Thanks for any advice.
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 03:22 PM   #296
Wrangler

Bob, there has been a ton of information on those WA adapters. Do a search on the term 'wide angle adapter,' and you will get 19 threads on the subject.

Bayonet mount is much stronger than filter-thread mount.
Old February 6th, 2005, 05:30 AM   #297
New Boot

Simple Question: do I need the Sony sunshade with the VCL58 wide angle?

I've read and read, but I don't know if I need the Sony LSFS58 hood with the Sony VCLHG0758 wide angle lens.

It sounds like the hood is a replacement...

Do I need it?
Jack Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 04:28 PM   #298
Go Cycle

Yes......to prevent flaring.
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:40 PM   #299
Still Motion

I'm not sure, I'm checking out that one and it sures looks like a replacement. I'm wondering if Lou just answered without actually checking that model out, it would be good to know as i could use on myself..
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 06:04 AM   #300
Inner Circle

Not sure what hood the Sony LSFS58 hood is, but in purely photographic terms YES - you do need a lens hood, and doubly so when you're using a wide-angle. Your focal length has been reduced to 4.5 mm and if you focus close and use f8 or so, the depth of field can come inside the front element of the converter. Any dust or dirt - however slight - will come into sharp focus and become horribly apparent if direct (sun)light hits the front element.

Hooding the glass and shadowing it from the sun can dramatically improve your shots. It's very easy to prove - all you need is a sunny day, a TV as a monitor and a hood. Take it on and off and see what I mean.

The lens hood is the cheapest, lightest (here he goes again) best accessory you can buy for the money. Don't leave home without one. Remember too that the hood that came with your VX/PD is only efficient at the max wide-angle end of the zoom - for all other focal lengths it 'sort-of-helps', no more.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion