I'm a believer... Now where can I get a cup holder. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 21st, 2005, 01:01 AM   #1
Trustee

I'm a believer... Now where can I get a cup holder.

Well it's official I'm a believer and further, now I'm an early adopter. Got the go ahead today to purchase the camera and will be using it to shoot a feature "the signal" (working title) in Atlanta. The camera had everything I need except I've got to figure out where I can get a cup holder for those long shoots.

I'll try to keep as detailed notes as possible during the shoot (slated to begin on the 5th) and let you guys know what I find, of course by then everyone will be drooling over the panasonic camera so we'll see if anyone even remembers what the canon is...

Anyhow I think this is the first camera I've purchased in 3 years (ever since I swore I wouldn't buy cameras anymore) I was that impressed with it.
Old December 21st, 2005, 01:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen
Well it's official I'm a believer and further, now I'm an early adopter. Got the go ahead today to purchase the camera and will be using it to shoot a feature "the signal" (working title) in Atlanta. The camera had everything I need except I've got to figure out where I can get a cup holder for those long shoots.

I'll try to keep as detailed notes as possible during the shoot (slated to begin on the 5th) and let you guys know what I find, of course by then everyone will be drooling over the panasonic camera so we'll see if anyone even remembers what the canon is...

Anyhow I think this is the first camera I've purchased in 3 years (ever since I swore I wouldn't buy cameras anymore) I was that impressed with it.
Good luck, and looking forward to see something when you are done.

All the best

Carl
Carl Ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 09:38 AM   #3
Major Player

wow,

and this coming from an F900 user/technician/DP.

So you mean to tell me.....

*AND LISTEN UP PEOPLE*

You mean to tell me that after personally testing the XL-H1 in 24f mode at 1/250th & 1/48th shutter next to a $100,000.00 Sony F900 that you and the production company that you're working with (whom have previously shot on F900 and sold its movies that are probably now available in Blockbuster & Circuit City) has decided to use the new Canon XL-H1 HDV camera rather then using (a readily available and within the budget) Sony F900 for a y'alls next feature film?

Yes, I know you did super quick pans with the camera seemingly whipping yourself around and around at 2G-Force speeds.
Yes, I know you recorded fast moving subjects speeding past your field of view in various colors and skin tones at various focal lengths.
Yes, I know you tested the resolution capabilities of the camera to ensure the camera can record the best detail.
Yes, I know you witnessed fast moving subject recorded to tape in HDV and watched the output on both Component and HD-SDI on a Sony HD Reference monitor.
Yes, I know all this was done with all camera image settings on DEFAULT.

and after all that.... after the HDV codec testing. After the HDV camera movement testing. After the Subject motion testing....

YOU GAVE THE CANON XL-H1 A GREEN LIGHT?

WOW.....Who woulda thunk it? *smile*

- ShannonRawls.com

P.S.
As promised, I am mailing you the tape we shot on for you to keep. Thanks for the replacement. I still need to capture it though. My wife will mail it today.
Old December 21st, 2005, 09:47 AM   #4
Major Player

Interestingly enough....

now that I think about it.....If the Canon XL-H1 can do this with HDV format. Just think about what that sexy new Panasonic HVX-200 can probably do with DVCPRO-HD!!!

Reminds me of the Hatfields & McCoys.

- ShannonRawls.com
Old December 21st, 2005, 11:25 AM   #5
Trustee

After downloading some of the footage from the infamous thread that we shall not speak about, and seeing teh side by side of the hvx and the xl-h1 I think they're both amazing camera's. But there are two big reasons for me choosing the xl-h1. 1) The HD-SDI out, I'm probably one of a few people who really wnated this feature and I believe I'll be abel to use it. 2) the camera is out now, when I need it and have work for it. Which if you scroll through our search options you'll discover that is the best time to make a camera purchase.

And as a quick addendum to Shannon's original post, it's not entirely true that money was no object, by going with this camera we're able to spend a little more on production, I think it's a fair trade. But yeah other then that all of shannon's points are accurate. As soon as I have the camera in hand I'm hoping to get some "looks" up, If I can find a way to post them I will.
Old December 21st, 2005, 12:08 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Nick, I will make a way for you to post them.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 12:25 PM   #7
Major Player

Nick, are you guys shooting separate sound? I'm pretty sure the H1 doesn't do embedded audio through SDI. I think you can record to HDV tape simultaneously, but if you want uncompressed, sync audio, you'll need to go dual system.

btw, are you guys going to shoot with a mini35 and primes? Now THAT would be awesome to see.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 12:39 PM   #8
Regular Crew

"I'm pretty sure the H1 doesn't do embedded audio through SDI. I think you can record to HDV tape simultaneously, but if you want uncompressed, sync audio, you'll need to go dual system."

That is correct. I'm getting ready to shoot a sync job in mid January and I'm curious about solutions that people are considering.

Vince
Vince Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 02:21 PM   #9
Major Player

Might want to consider one of the new Flash memory portable audio recorders. This way your sound could be instantly retrieved and synced to picture, even on set.

I'm not a sound guy, but if I were shooting the movie and wanted to review dailies as quickly as possible, you gotta get the sound on the timeline as fast as possible.

Edit: Had a thought. You could record to DAT, but also attach a DTE Firestore to the H1 and retrieve the audio from the HDV clips. Wait, no HDV DTE's are 24F stream compatible yet, right?
Old December 21st, 2005, 02:39 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow Elton
Wait, no HDV DTE's are 24F stream compatible yet, right?
Yes, they all are. I called yesterday to both VideoGuys and Shining Tech.

They both support the XL-H1 in ALL modes. *smile* For me, this eliminates the need for a DECK and there's no wear on my camera, because..well...I don't need to play back the tapes at all. After shooting out a tape, I simply take it out the camera & store it in the closet for backup in the future never needing to touch it again.

I want to buy the CitiDISK. I think that's a better solution then the big firestore. My only hesitation.....is.......timecode. Citidisc doesn't record timecode in HDV mode yet. This means, if I ever need to refer back to my backup minidv tapes, I will have to match the timecode manually.

but that's no problem......all you gotta use is a clapboard at the head of the take and that problem is solved. (you actually have to CLAP the clapboard to make this work) I make it a habit of using a slate on all my shoots anyhow, but many times we just stick it in the frame, call it off, and pull it out. I will have to ensure the Loader actually claps the slate if I plan to use the CitiDISK DTE solution.

But now...what about script supervisor notes & sound mixer notes? They all become worthless if the timecode is not the same as the cameras minidv tape timecode (where those two people get their reference from). And this is my MAIN reason why I am hesitant to get the CitiDISK DTE right now.

now, the FIRESTORE FS-4 PRO HD does timecode in HDV. However, I have read so many damn problems with that thing (battery life, heat, loud fan, buggy software, etc...) that I am too scared to buy it. Especially when it costs 70% more then the CitiDISK HDV DTE recorder.

I dunno. I'm still weighing my options.

This timecode support problem with HDV is getting out of hand. As if it's something these hardware & software companies "DON'T KNOW HOW" to do but won't admit it.

- ShannonRawls.com
Old December 21st, 2005, 02:44 PM   #11
Major Player

Well, that's interesting. You can review and edit dailies instantly with DTE, and then view the SDI acquired source (to HDCAM/DVCPROHD/Cineform Wafian/ or computer, most likely) when it's really needed.

But it sounds like it wouldn't really be necessary until post.
Old December 21st, 2005, 03:17 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I thought you can record uncompressed audio with the console ?
Pete Tomov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 03:29 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
Interestingly enough....

now that I think about it.....If the Canon XL-H1 can do this with HDV format. Just think about what that sexy new Panasonic HVX-200 can probably do with DVCPRO-HD!!!
- ShannonRawls.com

Well, Shannon I don't expect 800 lines and above with the HVX200. The varicam on it's best day will do 700 lines. Soooo, do you think there going to let the HVX200 pounce the varicam spec, NOPE. Respect the flagship product is what is going to happen. Jan showed res charts and said that they are on par with other HDV cams. She ment the Z1u, not the H1. She won't compare res of the 200 to a H1. I wish is would do 800 lines, I think the HVX200 is a good system. The good thing for canon is, the XLH1 is their flagship HD camera, no upper line to worry about because this is their upper line.

Shannon do you have an ETA on H1 footage?

>pappas
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 03:36 PM   #14
Trustee

Yeah the plan is to shoot with a mini 35 and zeiss super speed primes, the audio question is an interesting one, I was told we have a sound guy, but I'm not sure to what extent that means.

Chris I appreciate the offer to host the files, Now, assuming I can figure out how to get the saved files off of a memory stick (shouldn't be too hard) I'll have some looks ready asap.

Also for those that are interested IN bigboy f900 world The Evertz Fiber Channel Backs (for events and concerts) have an HD-SDI input that transfers over over fiber cable and a genlock out, now I'm just curious to see if it's just as easy connecting wires, more on that later.
Old December 21st, 2005, 03:37 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pappas
Well, Shannon I don't expect 800 lines and above with the HVX200.
Michael...but it might!

If you switch the HVX-200 to its 1080p24 mode....it MIGHT do 800 lines. Don't chaya think?

No ETA on the footage. I think imma just give the tape to Nick and let him do it with his sexy new Canon XL-H1.

- ShannonRawls.com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders