Cmos Vs 3ccd at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old January 14th, 2006, 10:49 PM   #1
New Boot

Cmos Vs 3ccd

Can't Make Final Decision Between Sony Hvr-a1u Or Panasonic Ag 100a
Any Idea?
Leon Bruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 01:07 AM   #2
Major Player

Sony HDR-FX1 vs. the Sony DVW-709, the Sony DSR-570, and the Panasonic AG-DVX100a

http://www.filmguideseattle.com/hdr-fx1.htm
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 05:10 AM   #3
Major Player

If you just want to use SD then the DVX100 is probably better but if you want HDV then the DVX100 is out since it's only SD. What kind of stuff are you going to shoot?
Old January 15th, 2006, 09:14 AM   #4
Regular Crew

You are comparing apples and oranges. Are you going to use the superior resolution of HDV? Or are you mainly using SD? If the latter is your case, stick to the Pana. Not because it has 3CCDs, but because you'll get more manual controls with it. The performance of the CMOS and the 3CCD chip will be unoticeable really. Having more manual control will lead to superior footage.
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 10:53 PM   #5
New Boot

Cmos Vs 3ccd

I Want To Shoot Concerts And Some Music Performers In My Home
I Need Good Sharp Picture And A Good Sound
I Think Hvr A1u Is Good For Me But What About Panasonic Ag Dvx200?
Leon Bruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Lol, you're again comparing apples and oranges. If sharpness of pictures are your main concern, then the A1U will definetely be your best option. HDV has four times the resolution of SD.
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 03:10 AM   #7
Major Player

A1U Your Choice

The A1U has some pretty nice XLR inputs for mixer line feeds. Also it has a pretty good picture over any SD camera. This thing beats out my Betacam I sold this last fall. Plus if you plan on viewing in the future HD format is the future. 16 by 9 will be standard soon enough... You might regret the 4 by 3 image later.

Good Luck!
Old January 23rd, 2006, 04:56 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Zimmerman
The A1U has some pretty nice XLR inputs for mixer line feeds. Also it has a pretty good picture over any SD camera. This thing beats out my Betacam I sold this last fall. Plus if you plan on viewing in the future HD format is the future. 16 by 9 will be standard soon enough... You might regret the 4 by 3 image later.

Good Luck!
Hi Jeff,,,are any of the video's on your website shot with the A1? Nice work.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 11:46 PM   #9

I am a little confused, and would appreciate any clarification regarding whether the Sony HDR-HC1 and the Sony HVR-A1 shoot in true 16:9?

I read the following on the web:

FX1 has 16:9 CCDs (960x1080 pixels each)
HC1 has a 4:3 sensor, 2.9MegaPixel gross

Are the HC1 and the A1 only 4:3?

Thanks in advance.
Old January 27th, 2006, 01:14 AM   #10
Major Player

The HC1 has a 4:3 sensor, but it only shoots HDV in true 16:9. The extra pixels are used for the still camera function which is about a 3 megapixel 4:3 image. The extra pixels are also used for the EIS (electronic image stabilization).
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 01:34 AM   #11

Laurence,
from everything I had read including HC1 manual I had thought it was a true 16:9 aspect ratio camera, but then a well known Digital Transfer Owner made the following remark in an email to me:

Since these cameras [HC1-A1U]are not widescreen we don't recommend them for movie work.

Which also had lead to my confusion.

Thanks for clearing this up for me.
Old January 30th, 2006, 10:02 PM   #12
Major Player

What I've been wondering about is - how do the dvx100a and the hc1 compare to each other?

Has anybody shot them both side by side. I'm just curious what the actual quality of the image is like - or not alike.

Yes, I know it's 2 totally different things - but really - I would love to have an idea of how the 2 looked, so I could make a choice about a second camera.

Thanks,
Milt Lee
Old January 30th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Bersoza
Laurence,
from everything I had read including HC1 manual I had thought it was a true 16:9 aspect ratio camera, but then a well known Digital Transfer Owner made the following remark in an email to me:

Since these cameras [HC1-A1U]are not widescreen we don't recommend them for movie work.

Which also had lead to my confusion.

Thanks for clearing this up for me.
If a camera is HDV is it 16:9?
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 10:38 PM   #14
Major Player

My friend, Chuck Olson of Minnesota Stories - http://mnstories.com just got one of these cameras and it was soooo much fun. and it has a really long flip out window - so my impression was that it is wide screen. I could be wrong.
M.
Old January 30th, 2006, 11:43 PM   #15
Trustee

Yes the HC1 and A1 both record true widescreen HDV!

To re-paraphrase Lawrence: The HC1 has a 4:3 sensor, but it shoots HDV using a wide-screen shaped subset of those pixels.

The extra pixels (i.e., above and below the area used for video) are used for the still camera function, which produces a 4:3 image.

Bob, the recorded HDV has a resolution of 1440x1080 resolution, so the 16:9 final image is achieved in part by using non-square pixels. In contrast, the JVC HD1 records 1280x720, which is 16:9 with square pixels. This MAY be what your guys was referring to?

As far as I know HDV footage is always 16:9. (The Sony cameras' 1080i, and the JVC's 720p30 and 480p60 modes, are all 16:9).
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series