Good free 24p FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old June 7th, 2006, 03:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Good free 24p FCP

Use mpeg stream clip to deinterlace 1/60th NTSC to 59.94 quicktime, drop it into a 24p timeline. Volia. it uses a motion adaptive deintelacer, also check out nattress standards to do the 60p to 24p conversion, nice and pretty (adds cost to workflow)
Riley Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 08:33 PM   #2
Major Player

Riley is that 59.94 interlaced or progressiver, also when do you recommend doing this? after the edit is complete, with the raw footage...?
Old June 7th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #3
Major Player

59.94 FRAMES PER SECOND PROGRESSIVE

I would say probably best for the raw footage. But you could always edit and then do a final 24p out. I'm not sure if you'll get edit blends. Try it and let me know. Be aware when you export from mpeg stream clip of which compressor you use. You don't want to recompress DV unless you're just going to DVD. I would use an uncompressed or lossless compression when exporting. I tried doing a straight to 24p from mpeg streamclip, but it was way too strobey. 60p is ALOT smoother of course. Use this method also for doing slow mo stuff shot on high shutter speed.

Also this is not just limited to FCP and Mac, as I just found out they just released mpeg stream clip for Xp as well. Just drop into after effects 23.976 timeline and boom.
Old June 7th, 2006, 10:51 PM   #4
Major Player

shot with a vx2000 @ 1/60th. okay so i just did a comparison of mpeg stream clip and dvfilm. results are too close. mpegstreamclip deinterlace to 60p, clip dropped straight into 23.976 timeline in after effects, dvfilm deinterlaced to 23.976p and dropped directly into same timeline. almost perfect match, dvfilm is a little softer since I checked the "blur on horizontal lines=1." the clip i shot is a little soft to begin with, crap was all over the lens, I will shoot another clip tomorrow for better comparison. I will also do a slow mo shot with 1/120th shutter.

here is a link to side by side comparison
www.rileyharmon.com/temp/comparison.mov 30MB Quicktime, Please download and not stream
Old June 10th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #5
Major Player

Okay people. Ive done some more tests with the method described above. I deinterlaced the footage to 60p (59.94 progressive) and then dropped directly into an after effects timeline. I tried using twixtor to make a motion weighted frame interpolation to change from 24p to 60p. The reason I tested this is because it allows me to vary the amount of motion blur to moving objects in the scene. Hence, motion weighted. I found that it did not make much different when using a 1/60th NTSC deinterlaced to 60p file. Therefore, you should be able to take any 1/60th NTSC, deinterlace it to 60p, then drop that 60p file into any 24p timeline, using After Effects, Final Cut, or Premiere without having to use a motion weighted bluring frame interpolation. I have tried both After Effects and Final Cut and both work great. I also did some tests using a 1/100th shot NTSC deinterlaced to 60p using twixtor to change the motion blur as an example of a situation where someone forgot to use 1/60th. I was able to match the footage look. So both using twixtor, and without it look great. SO... with all that mouth full, here is a short 2sec test. If you have any specific footage requests to be tested just ask me to try the method yourself. Let's hear what you think! Peace.

www.rileyharmon.com/temp/1-60-notwix.mov
Old June 11th, 2006, 03:49 PM   #6
Major Player

Sweet, Thanks Riley
Old June 11th, 2006, 10:37 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Sounds great. In what way should I lose less quality while doing this? Is it OK if I deinterlace de finished project and reopen in with Final Cut in the new 24p timeline? Also, which settings in mpegstreamclip are best?
(I'm a noobie regarding 24p and mpeg streamclip)

Thanks.
Mike Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 10:48 PM   #8
Major Player

if you are going to export a final project to be deinterlaced and then brough back into a 24p timeline, you need to export the video as uncompressed or don't recompress the DVNTSC. also I'm not sure how the audio will sync up and all that. I usually just do raw footage and then edit on a 24p timeline. in mpeg stream clip here are the settings to choose:

File> export to quicktime (or whatever format you want)

Compression: Choose something uncompressed like None or Component for the highest quality (warning! large file sizes)

Sound: Uncompressed or None

Frame Size: Whatever format you are using 720x480 for NTSC

Field Dominance: Whatever format you are using Lower field first for NTSC

Set frame-rate to 59.94

DO NOT CHECK FRAME BLENDING

CHECK DEINTERLACING

No Scaling or cropping

Then render and drop into your 24p timeline. Also be warned, you are exporting a HIGH framerate and uncompressed, therefore the video will take a lot of space and might not playback well in quicktime due to drive read speeds. When you drop it into you 24p timeline, final cut or whatever you use will make you render it to dv standards. You could edit natively do EVERYTHING before the 24p, then export to 60p using mpeg stream clip, drop into 24p timeline and render out 24p DV.
Old June 15th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot for the help, I'll try it ASAP. :)
Mike Kim is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production