Apple upgrades MacBook Pro with Core 2 Duo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old October 24th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #1
Wrangler

Apple upgrades MacBook Pro with Core 2 Duo

http://biz.yahoo.com/cnnm/061024/102...book.html?.v=1

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006...acbookpro.html

Quote:
Apple MacBook Pro Notebooks Now with Intel Core 2 Duo Processors
Up to 39 Percent Faster

CUPERTINO, California—October 24, 2006—Apple® today announced that its entire MacBook™ Pro line of notebooks now includes the new Intel Core 2 Duo processor and delivers performance that is up to 39 percent faster than the previous generation. All MacBook Pro models now offer double the memory and greater storage capacity than the previous generation, as well as a FireWire® 800 port for connecting to high-speed peripherals. The new MacBook Pro’s stunning, lightweight, aluminum enclosure is just one-inch thin, available in 15- and 17-inch models, and features a built-in iSight® video camera for video conferencing on-the-go.

“With an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, greater storage capacity and FireWire 800 connectivity, the new MacBook Pro delivers unprecedented performance and mobility in an incredibly thin and light design,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. “We are thrilled that our notebook sales are growing twice as fast as the overall notebook market, and we hope these new MacBook Pro models continue that success.”

Every MacBook Pro features the new Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 4MB of shared L2 cache, which is up to 39 percent faster than the previous 2.16 GHz MacBook Pro and more than seven times faster than the 1.67 GHz PowerBook G4 running industry standard benchmarks.* Apple has enhanced Mac OS® X to take advantage of the technology advances from Intel’s Core 2 Duo processors, resulting in increased performance in professional applications like Aperture™ 1.5, Final Cut Pro® 5 and Logic Pro 7.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #2
Major Player

About freaking time too... Nice upgrade though. Faster DL DVD writers across the board, FW800 on the 15" 2GB RAM standard on 2.33GHz models. I felt compelled to order me a 15" 2.33GHz w/2GB 160GB HD. Should be here next week (est. Delivery of Nov 2). :)
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #3
Major Player

Just in time for Xmas. I wonder if they planned it that way.

I see why they changed the name to Macbook Pro. These are portable professional DV editing machines.

Just priced on there website: $4,066.00 you can get 15 inch lap top with 3gb ram, 200 GB hard-drive, 256MB SDRAM and final cut express preintalled. Get the full FCP Suite and you just come in at around 5 grand.

That's still not cheap, I can't say I'm that excited, but it's not bad deal for a complete starter's package.
Theodore McNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 03:17 AM   #4
Major Player

Don't ever go for that 200gb hd, it's only 4200rpm. The 160gb is the best value imo because it's higher density should make it almost as fast as the 100gb 7200rpm drive.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 07:03 AM   #5
Major Player

good catch. didn't notice 4200 rpm thing. 160 Gb is plenty. Just need enough space for a hour or two of video.
Theodore McNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 07:34 AM   #6
Major Player

Vram

If you're an Aperture or FCP user, you DEFINITELY want to get the machine with the higher VRAM (256mb vs 128mb). I have this on good authority from an Aperture engineer.

And I do not believe the Apple store offers a CTO option for only upgrading the video card in the new machines.
Old October 25th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan C. King
Don't ever go for that 200gb hd, it's only 4200rpm. The 160gb is the best value imo because it's higher density should make it almost as fast as the 100gb 7200rpm drive.
The 160GB with it's perpendicular recording and 60% higher density is actually faster than the 100GB 7200 drive for just about every operation and benchmark with the exception of randomized seek times and only in some cases. The drive totally rocks! Well worth the $90 upgrade and the extra couple days to get it in the Macbook Pro.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 09:56 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe
The 160GB with it's perpendicular recording and 60% higher density is actually faster than the 100GB 7200 drive for just about every operation and benchmark with the exception of randomized seek times and only in some cases.
Would that make the 200 gig hard drive faster than all of them?
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 10:48 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira
Would that make the 200 gig hard drive faster than all of them?
No the fujtisu 200s aren't perpendicular, they just use more platters.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...DIVqvwr/2.?p=0
What hard drive capacity is right for you?

Choose the standard 160GB 5400-rpm drive if you want to store and edit hours of videos, as well as thousands of songs and photos.
When performance is your top priority, upgrade to the 100GB 7200-rpm drive. The faster speed of the hard drive gives you faster data retrieval and increased performance.
When capacity is your top priority, max out your MacBook Pro with a 200GB 4200-rpm drive.
This is on Apple’s website. It claims that the 100 gig hard drive is the best for performance. I’m thinking about getting the 17inch Mac Book pro with the 100 gig 7200 RPM hard drive because of performance but you guys are confusing me.
Old October 26th, 2006, 10:33 PM   #11
Tourist

External drives ?

Hey guys..since we are discussing it...

I am worried that even with the faster drive some frame drops may occur when capturing/importing HDV to it...Does anyone have experience with say a Firewire 800 external drive and capturing HDV to it ?

comments..suggestions ?

Thanks in advance
Alexis Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 01:15 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I use the La Cie Little Big Disk. A bit expensive but it's RAID 0 in small package and bus powered at that. The fastest is the 200GB which is 2 7200 100GB RAID. Barefeats tested it up to 68 MB/s on FW800. The best portable solution.
Drew Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 07:32 PM   #13
Major Player

As far as I know, the data rate is exactly the same for HDV as it is for DV.

So if you can capture DV without dropping frames, you can capture HDV.

I've had no problems (i.e. no dropped frames) capturing HDV on an old eMac on Firewire 400 Lacie drives.
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #14
Trustee

Here is something that will make the new MacBook Pro’s complete: A LaCie external Blu-Ray drive. http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14197. To bad the price isn’t available yet.
Old October 28th, 2006, 12:02 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira
This is on Apple’s website. It claims that the 100 gig hard drive is the best for performance. I’m thinking about getting the 17inch Mac Book pro with the 100 gig 7200 RPM hard drive because of performance but you guys are confusing me.
That bit about the 100GB drive being the best performer has been there a while - they need to update it now the 160GB drives are available. Currently the 160GB drive is the best overall performer and highly recommended. The 100GB 7200 and the 120GB 5400 are pretty much equal with the 120GB doing better in large, data reads and continuous streaming, the 100GB drive does better with more randomized access and smaller reads/writes.

Anyway, I would recommend the 160GB drive... But if you don't want/need that much space, then either the 100 or 120 will serve you well. And which one to go with may depend on what you'll be doing. For video capture, streaming, editing, I'd take the 120 or just get the 160 - best choice there. For individual images or database work audio, or other operations that work with lots of relatively smaller files, the 100GB drive may serve a bit better. In the end, they'll all work just great for anything you throw at them and the real-world differences are very minor. If the 100 won't work, chances are the 160 won't work, which means you need an external drive system anyway.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News