JVC DR-HD100 vs FE FS-4Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 1st, 2006, 06:44 AM   #1
Major Player

JVC DR-HD100 vs FE FS-4Pro

Does anyone know if the new Focus Enhancements harddrives are the same thing as the rebranded DR-HD100? The specs look very similar with the exception of a 100GB version.

supports Quicktime HDV 720p30

We are purchasing one of these units and it seems like they would work.

Thanks

Dave Beaty
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 06:55 AM   #2
Wrangler

The only difference I know of is that the DR-HD100 has "J" control for JVC specific control and talk-back features.

Basically, you can see in the viewfinder the status of the DR-HD100 and how many minutes of recording are left.

Cosmetically, the DR-HD100 says "ProHD" on it.
Old November 1st, 2006, 11:14 AM   #3
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
The only difference I know of is that the DR-HD100 has "J" control for JVC specific control and talk-back features.

Basically, you can see in the viewfinder the status of the DR-HD100 and how many minutes of recording are left.

Cosmetically, the DR-HD100 says "ProHD" on it.
The DR-HD100 has the following advantages over the FS-4:

1. Status in the viewfinder/LCD monitor - you can see in the viewfinder how many minutes are available on the drive, and you can see what mode it is in. This assures you that the drive is getting a good signal, and that it is rolling when it's supposed to.

2. Power Management - when you turn the camera off, the drive will shut off as well

3. Split Record - allows you to program the camera so that one start button will roll only the tape, and another start button will roll only the drive.

Some nice features that are worth the small difference in price.

Regards,
Old November 1st, 2006, 11:34 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hicks

1. Status in the viewfinder/LCD monitor - you can see in the viewfinder how many minutes are available on the drive, and you can see what mode it is in. This assures you that the drive is getting a good signal, and that it is rolling when it's supposed to.

2. Power Management - when you turn the camera off, the drive will shut off as well

3. Split Record - allows you to program the camera so that one start button will roll only the tape, and another start button will roll only the drive.

Regards,
I have the FS4HD Pro and purchased it over the DR-HD100 for only one reason: I didn't want one more thing on the camera when I do handheld which has been 80% of my filming so far. The extra cable is rarely a nuisance and the weight on my belt isn't noticable at all. Once the drive is set to record with the tape it's pretty much foolproof, just an occasional look down to see the battery status.

Otherwise the DR-HD100 is probably a better way to go especially for the integration that Carl mentions.
Old November 1st, 2006, 11:45 AM   #5
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser
I have the FS4HD Pro and purchased it over the DR-HD100 for only one reason: I didn't want one more thing on the camera when I do handheld which has been 80% of my filming so far. The extra cable is rarely a nuisance and the weight on my belt isn't noticable at all. Once the drive is set to record with the tape it's pretty much foolproof, just an occasional look down to see the battery status.

Otherwise the DR-HD100 is probably a better way to go especially for the integration that Carl mentions.
The DR-HD100 does come with a belt clip as well. Or, you can mount it on-camera with various brackets.
Old November 1st, 2006, 02:36 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Does the DR HD100 support 24p?
Scott Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 06:47 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Harper
Does the DR HD100 support 24p?
Yes and no.

It will capture m2t files exactly the way a program like DVHSCap would. Therefore, any frame rate, inlcuding 720P24 will record as m2t. I haven't actually tested 480P60 or 576P50 yet, but will get around to that.

If you are referring to the real-time quicktime encapsulation for FCP 5, then only 720P30 will work. However, Focus says they are working on 720P24 QT support.
Old November 1st, 2006, 08:29 PM   #8
Regular Crew

That sucks. I guess I'm going to wait on that purchase then.
Scott Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:52 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks for the info Carl and Tim.

Rolling the DTE and tape simultaneously is huge...as is seeing the DTE status in the viewfinder.

Does anyone know if the current JVC DR-HD100's out there have the firmware to record Quicktime 720p30 or will we have to order that sperate software I read here about.

IOW, Has JVC/FE integrated this patch into the current model?

Dave Beaty
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 11:29 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beaty
Does anyone know if the current JVC DR-HD100's out there have the firmware to record Quicktime 720p30 or will we have to order that sperate software I read here about.

Dave Beaty
That's a question Carl Hicks can answer best. If JVC supplies the support for the DR-HD100 then all is well as long as they don't imitate the upgrade policies of Focus Enhancements.

If I get another HD series camera in the near future (and I might, fingers crossed), I will purchase the DR-HD100 instead of the standalone FS4HD Pro, although I know I can use the FS4HD I have now with other HD cameras if those come into my possession.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:29 PM   #11
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beaty
Thanks for the info Carl and Tim.

Rolling the DTE and tape simultaneously is huge...as is seeing the DTE status in the viewfinder.

Dave Beaty
The HDV 30p Quicktime file format is now included standard in new shipments of the DRHD100 units.

Regards,
Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:31 PM   #12
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Yes and no.

It will capture m2t files exactly the way a program like DVHSCap would. Therefore, any frame rate, inlcuding 720P24 will record as m2t. I haven't actually tested 480P60 or 576P50 yet, but will get around to that.

If you are referring to the real-time quicktime encapsulation for FCP 5, then only 720P30 will work. However, Focus says they are working on 720P24 QT support.
Focus knows there is high demand for 24p quicktime HDV support on the DRHD100. They are working hard to finalize it.
Old November 21st, 2006, 09:07 PM   #13
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hicks

Regards,

Carl - I'm not getting ANY of these things (just purchased a DR-HD100). Is there some trick to making it work with the GY-HD101E? We are selecting JVC mode on the DR-HD100 and at the moment all our tests have been run in DV format using Avid OMF. It seems to roll fine, but no feedback in viewfinder, no powering up with camera (haven't tested the split recording mode). All I see in the viewfinder is the normal tape remaining time.

Firmware revison for my camera:

SYS CPU - C1590 - VO401
CAM CPU - C1591 - VO202
VTR CPU - C1594 - VO114
ENG CPU - L1187 - VO205

PS any tips on how to use in tapeless mode? do you have to set timecode on the DR-HD100 to int or is there still timecode on the firewire from camera?

Thanks

John
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 10:53 PM   #14
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mitchell
Carl - I'm not getting ANY of these things (just purchased a DR-HD100). Is there some trick to making it work with the GY-HD101E?
There are a few menus in the "Others" menu of the camera to take a look at.

Quote:
We are selecting JVC mode on the DR-HD100 and at the moment all our tests have been run in DV format using Avid OMF. It seems to roll fine, but no feedback in viewfinder, no powering up with camera (haven't tested the split recording mode). All I see in the viewfinder is the normal tape remaining time.
Viewfinder feedback should be there. The power feature is power down, not up.

Quote:
PS any tips on how to use in tapeless mode?
set mode in camera "others" menu to split slave or syncro slave.

Quote:
do you have to set timecode on the DR-HD100 to int or is there still timecode on the firewire from camera?
Timecode comes in thru firewire from the camera.

I'm not a service person, so I can't check your firmware versions. What I can tell you is my personal experience, which is that when the GY-HD100U camera and DRHD100 have current firmware versions, all of the features I described in my post above do indeed work. I don't know if the HD101E is different in that regard.

You should consult with JVC tech support in your country to get assistance with the proper set-up.

Regards,
Old November 21st, 2006, 10:58 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Can you mount the FS-4 on the camera like the DR-100?
Hayk Paul is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems