Additional Shoe Mount for FX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old November 4th, 2006, 06:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Additional Shoe Mount for FX1

I have been trying to find a satisfactory solution for my FX1 when using an on camera light and Rode VideoMic. Of course, the FX1 only has one shoe mount, and in order to use both a light and shotgun mic, a special tool must be used such as the Rycote Hot Shoe Extension bar that I got from B&H.

Now, it gets the job done, but there are a few things I don't like about that mount (or others like it on the market):

1. It sets your accessories about a full inch higher, which makes handling the camera awkward and more difficult due to weight distribution.
2. The added height also makes the entire setup loose it's aesthetic appeal (I know, I know, that's not really important, but I'm just particular on how things look and how they're presented).
3. It can shift its rotation easy which would make your light beam off-center from where you're aiming.

Now, what I would love to see is an additional shoe mount adapter that can just attach itself to the location on the FX1 on the side of the VCR controls (where the mic mount is for the Z1U). That would definitely solve the problem I'm experiencing with my VideoMic because I could just slide the mic onto the additional shoe mount on the side of the LCD/VCR panel. Now, this would also be beneficial because you wouldn't just be limited by just adding a shotgun mic, but you could also attach a wireless audio receiver, a larger LCD screen, or any other accessory you choose that is compatible with a standard shoe mount.

Has anyone seen anything like this being sold anywhere?
John M. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 11:48 PM   #2
Major Player

Have you seen the J Rod? - http://thej-rod.com/

I know it doesn't solve your problem completely as you have the FX1 however if you probably could buy it and attach it to the same place the mic mount usually attaches too on the Z1.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the suggestion Joe. That may work out for me, but I need to get the Z1U mic mount first... I used to be able to find it on eBay, but not anymore...

Has anyone seen it floating around online somewhere?
Old November 8th, 2006, 05:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M. Graham
Thanks for the suggestion Joe. That may work out for me, but I need to get the Z1U mic mount first... I used to be able to find it on eBay, but not anymore...

Has anyone seen it floating around online somewhere?

Here is the last auction from September for that mount :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=290030172886

It looks like he is repackaging the sony parts, but is making the small plate and supplying the screws to attach it. According to the Sony parts diagram that little gem is not sold separately and the whole top assembly must be purchased for the Z1.

And the J-Rod will most definately help you out. Every person who has bought one has been happy with it.

Regards.

Jeff
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 06:09 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Mr. J Rod,

I will be ordering a j-rod today for my Z1U. I'd also like a shoe mount that doesn't sit quite as high for my FX1. Do you plan to put together a package ?
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #6
Major Player

This probably doesn't satisfy your need, but have you tried this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Yeah Dave, I've seen that weird looking thing before... I'm not too keen on how it raises everything by a few inches. I'd like to keep a low profile. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old November 9th, 2006, 02:39 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks, I hadn't seen that device. I'm also looking for something that keeps everything lower. I just want to mount two different types microphones on a single camcorder.
Old November 9th, 2006, 03:30 AM   #9
Inner Circle

At http://thej-rod.com/, the bottom of the page describes a custom version which adds more shoe mounts to the J-Rod. I think that is what I'm looking for.
Old November 9th, 2006, 03:42 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Gints,

I don't have anything for the FX unless you have the Z1 mic clamp attached already. Or you can grab one from the ebay link above.

Let me know if you have any questions and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Jeff
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 05:00 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Thanks, Jeff. Wow, that fellow's parts kit is much costlier than I expected.

That prompted me to do Google for more hot shoe parts. This product is really what I'm looking for once I rearrange the parts. It also solves the problem for both the Z1U and FX1, though it doesn't do the major feature of your design : mount the microphone further back. Also, the microphone can't be rotated to the side. Oh well. If I find that is also needed, I'll get the J-Rod.

http://www.dm-accessories.com/shop/i...products_id=16

It also serves as a decent bumper brace to protect the Z1U LCD display. I usually need one microphone off to the right side of the camcorder because my current microphone shockmount obscures the vision of the operator for my type of shooting.
Old November 10th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #12
Trustee

A different option

Why not consider something like this for your setup?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

The good things about it is that the accessories weight is not on the hot shoe and that the mic will be far away from the camera zoom and transport noise.

You can put a light on it too.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 10:39 AM   #13
Trustee

i ordered the cool lux one. seems like the best bet
Old November 15th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Carlos,

Yeah, I didn't notice that one. The one I ordered would be screwed into the hot-shot mount's screw on the Sony Z1/FX1, so the weight is handled by a screw. Though, the base plate is a much better idea. Oh well. If I get to loading up more accessories, then I'll get that bracket. Thanks for the tip.
Old November 16th, 2006, 05:49 AM   #15
Regular Crew

If you are looking to add a heavy accessory and want to keep it off the camera then the grip from Videosmith will work well too. They are very sturdy and have a shoe mount on top.

Jeff
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1