An affordable & effective portable light for the Z1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old November 9th, 2006, 06:12 AM   #1
Trustee

An affordable & effective portable light for the Z1

As you can see on other threads, I am looking for practical accessories for the Z1.

A battery powered light is one of them.

Mostly to be used as eye-light/obie-light, but also reasonably effective as a fill light on close-up situations.

Small battery powering is also a must, so power may not be that big.

Some apparently rasonable options might be these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=304517&is=REG

But I am still looking, so others will come up. In any case you may get the idea on what might do it.

It's interesting that LED light units have not yet gone down in price as they should. The lowest-pricee pro product I could find was this:

Probably many will disagree with me, but it's not too much for all that money. Perhaps we should need some China enterpreneurs that may get us a 50w comparable output for around $100? LED technology is very cheap and can be powered with so little!

The high-priced path started by Litepanels looks like a step in the wrong direction for LED applications. :(
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 08:14 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Depending on your application 10W is not going to do a whole lot. You get what you pay for...I purchased the Bescor KLK-20 about a year ago, used it for 5 minutes then put it away for 91 day unitl the warranty was up, pulled it out and it has not worked since. The higher end Bescor lights are nice but this thing is junk. I will give you a good deal if you are interested.
Dave Pecunies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 11:43 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pecunies
Depending on your application 10W is not going to do a whole lot. You get what you pay for...I purchased the Bescor KLK-20 about a year ago, used it for 5 minutes then put it away for 91 day unitl the warranty was up, pulled it out and it has not worked since. The higher end Bescor lights are nice but this thing is junk. I will give you a good deal if you are interested.

I am sure you are right about this particular product. In fact I think there's only one Bascor light that would do a good job on serious pro use:

I think this would be up to my requirements.

But there should be a LED head with similar output for about the same money. Which there is not.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 10:45 AM   #4
Trustee

the new sony light (dont know the model number) which is powered off of npf batteries looks the biz
Old November 15th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom
the new sony light (dont know the model number) which is powered off of npf batteries looks the biz
That'll be HVL-LBP i think.

Out in January, 16watt power consumption, 10ultra-bright LED's, built-in diffuser screen, rotary dimmer control.
Might provide equivalent light o a tungsten light of about 30-50watts-ish, but i admit this is just an educated guess based on a couple of calculations.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 03:58 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
That'll be HVL-LBP i think.

Out in January, 16watt power consumption, 10ultra-bright LED's, built-in diffuser screen, rotary dimmer control.
Might provide equivalent light o a tungsten light of about 30-50watts-ish, but i admit this is just an educated guess based on a couple of calculations.

Does anyone know which LED types they use? I am trying fo find that out through some other sources, but got nowhere yet.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1