Air Travel X-ray? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old December 7th, 2006, 04:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Air Travel X-ray?

so I am going home for Christmas and I'm flying, what might happen if I try to carry on a GL1 and XL2 along with my still camera?
Can the cameras go through the x-ray machine?
do I need to take out my cards, should i remove any tapes.
I also have two Firestore FS-4 drives, can those go through the machines?
Chris Fritsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Well everytime I fly with any of my cameras they go thru the machine as do my tapes, batteries, audio gear anything other gear I can stuff into a carry on bag (even my lunch) and I've never had a problem of any kind. The only I ever ask of them is that if they need to go thru the bag by hand to please let me take the stuff out and show them and then I'll repack it. Most of the TSA people are fine with that. (I don't think they really want to take a chance on breaking anything)
Anyway, as far as you firestore drive I would think you'd be OK but you might want to make sure there is nothing on the drives just in case. Also keep a battery handy to power them up just in case they need to see what it really is.
HTHs
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #3
Major Player

I agree with Don. I've done quite a bit of travelling (internationally as well) and never had a problem taking my XL2 (in a soft Portabrace) through security and the X-ray machines. Like Don, I ask TSA if they need me to take the camera out or not...and if so, that means taking out the dozens of other things that I have crammed in there. Oh well. Good luck.

Jonathan
Jonathan Kirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Yes to all, in fact, you should carry them on with you if you want them to arrive with you. DO NOT CHECK THEM. OTHERWISE THEY WILL BE UNDER SOMEONE ELSES TREE. We travel with gear all the time, you'll have to take the cameras out of the bag, put them in a tray and send them thru the x-ray. Your gear will be fine. It's a hassle, but better to have your cameras with you at all times.
Old December 7th, 2006, 09:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I agree with everyone here especially Mark. Do not check them. I recently worked with a crew that flew in from L.A and they checked all their lenses in reasonably padded cases and flew with the bodies of the cameras as carry on. Well upon arriving and doing an equipment check the 2 SLR lenses and 2 XL2 lenses had serious focus problems.

There are 2 cases that B&H sells that are regulation carry on size for the XL2. One is made by Portabrace and the other is by Petrol I believe. I think TSA in most major airports are used to seing alot of this equipment come through so its no big deal.
Mike Andrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #6
Inner Circle

One small word of caution about any manufacturers camera bags and flying. Make 100% absolutley sure of the size bag you are getting or using and the carryon size restrictions of airlines. in other words make sure the bag fits the approved height width and length that is prescribed by airlines. I know they say not more than 50 or 51 inches overall (H+W+L) BUT in many cases if it doesn't fit in the little bag "cage" they have at the gate (the one that determines if your bag will go on or not) you'll have a problem as I almost had last summer on a trip to Hawaii.
BTW, they seem to be getting more and more strict and anal about the size of the carryons. However, IIRC you can carry 2 bags on-1 suitcase type and 1 briefcase or laptop type case so that might work. Check with your local friendly neighborhood airline BEFORE assuming you're good to go.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 08:42 AM   #7
Major Player

Kata makes a bag specifically designed to fit in the overhead. It fit our sony 570 with the lens attached, and we are able to put that in the overhead compartment with no problems. So it would easily fit an xl-2. Check with the dv info site vendors who sell Kata and they can help you with the correct size bag if you need one.
Old December 8th, 2006, 09:35 AM   #8
Major Player

I have the Portabrace CTC3 (softcase) for my XL2. It is just a bit longer than the XL2 (which means I can put the camera in it without having to take off the battery/mic attachment on the back!) and about 1/2 in. over what British Airways says is legal for carry-on...but they haven't said anything yet. There's also enough room in there to throw my tapes/batteries/chargers as well (not in any pockets...just packed around the camera...nothing damaged yet.) Only hassle is TSA likes to have the camera taken outside of the bag and run through X-ray separately...so I have to repack everything afterward. Small price to pay.

For my next (international) trip, I'm thinking of FedEx-ing my tripod and any equipment I can't fit into my bag straight to my hotel. Two different airlines "lost" my tripod on separate trips and I didn't have it for three days of my trip. The most recent time it came back damaged and I'm in talks with them to get it fixed...they want me to mail them repair bills.

Good luck.

Jonathan
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #9
Major Player

I have flown several times with my XL2 kit in my Kata case. I diassemble the camera (lens and viewfinder removed) so that there is more flexibility in how I pack the case. But I've fit my XL2 with 20X and 3X lenses, a 7" LCD, a 120GB firewire drive, and wireless mics in the Kata.

AND I sometimes carry my SLR kit in a separate backpack at the same time. Never had a problem.
Old December 8th, 2006, 11:56 AM   #10
Major Player

Also remember that not all airline overhead compartments are equal. I have the CTC-3 bag for my XL-2, and while it fits nicely in the overhead on planes like the A319 and A320, 767, 757, etc., it DOES NOT fit in the overheads on the smaller Regional Jets that many commuter airlines use. I finally bought a 1510 Pelican case that just barely fits the XL-2 (disassembled). It fits in the smaller overheads, but also I feel better that if I end up having to gate check it somewhere along the line, that it will have some protection.
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 09:11 PM   #11
Major Player

Also ask the screener to hold your camera in the XRAY machine or don't put it on the belt till you are ready. You don't want your camera sitting there on the other side of the machine waiting to get stolen while you get held up in security.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #12
Major Player

Rob, I also purchased the 1510 a few months ago, although I didn't know until I got it that it was too small. Thanks for the heads up...I'll keep that in mind if I do small trips...but it's such a hassle to disassemble and reassemble between shoots (I usually have to pack up, drive about 10 minutes, and start shooting again on my trips.) Also, is it the CTC-3 that's too big or do you have any attachments on the camera (light, etc.) that make it too big? Just wondering, because I can usually scrunch the bag down to fit the camera in some overheads without damaging the camera. That way it also stays secure in the smaller compartments cuz it can't move. You obviously know more about the problem since you've encountered it and I don't know what you have in the case.

Jonathan
Old December 13th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #13
Major Player

Jonathan,

It's the CTC-3 bag itself. It fits fine in the larger planes' overheads. But on the Canadair Regional Jets flown by many commuter airlines, it won't fit at all. At least with the extra lens, headphones, and I think a wireless mic bag I usually have tucked in there. I have placed it under the seats in those little Regional Jets, but it takes up about half of the "under the seat" space of the person next to you as well. On a couple of flights that hasn't been a problem, but on a couple of others, passengers and flight attendants haven't been so accomodating.

I'm like you - I don't really like having to disassemble to camera either. That's what I like about the CTC-3 bag when I'm at home shooting. I can put the camera in completely assembled and pull it out and be instantly ready to shoot. The 1510 Pelican is nice for travel on those smaller planes, though.

Have fun!

Rob
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 11:45 AM   #14
Major Player

Guess I'll stay away from Canadair if I can then! Just kidding...no offense to Canadair.

I think for my next international trips I'll take the camera in the 1510 and throw the CTC-3 (empty) in baggage so that I can just keep the camera in the CTC-3 during down time on the trips...then put it back in the 1510 for air travel. Hopefully they won't "lose" the CTC-3 like they have with some of my other baggage before! (do a search for previous threads...I've explained it before.)
Old January 7th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #15
Tourist

I just got a Kata CCC-10 last week. Do any of you know if that will fit the overhead compartments or do any of you know the maximum size what overhead comparment carryons should be? Thanks.
Christian Lagera is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home