Air Travel X-ray? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old April 10th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #16
Major Player

Anybody know the difference between the CTC-2, CTC-3, and the CTC-4?
Matt Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 04:45 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Yeah I literally just got done traveling with my XL2. I carried it on board with me, and other than having a police officer approach me about the camera, I had no problems. (It was a 2 hour layover and I was trying to get a shot of an airplane taking off... OH MY GOD SECURITY BREACH!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Newcomb View Post
Anybody know the difference between the CTC-2, CTC-3, and the CTC-4?
That's a whole other discussion.
Chris C. Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Lagera View Post
I just got a Kata CCC-10 last week. Do any of you know if that will fit the overhead compartments or do any of you know the maximum size what overhead comparment carryons should be? Thanks.
I have a CCC-10 and used it to take my XL2 to Hawaii. It fit fine in the overhead. I bought it specifically because it's supposed to be "overhead safe". As mentioned you might have problems on some of the smaller regional flights though.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C. Collins View Post
(It was a 2 hour layover and I was trying to get a shot of an airplane taking off... OH MY GOD SECURITY BREACH!!)
Can you record in airports and planes if you have the XL2 in the carry on?
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:54 PM   #20
Major Player

I would say no for a couple reasons.

1. I don't think it's public property, really. That's why airports have PR people to handle media, videotaping, etc. Even news crews have to notify airport PR to let them know they're going to be shooting there and someone always accompanies them.

2. Security. Goes back to #1 with the PR people. They want to make sure you're not doing something negative about the airport, etc. Also, after 9/11, many airports have "sterile zones" (anywhere past security: gates, terminals, trains, etc.) where you need a boarding pass (or ID) to get to. I don't think they'd want to have any "potential terrorists" shooting areas so they can study where exits are, security, etc.

Best thing to do: Ask for permission. Worst they'll say is no. Make sure you ask airport PR, not the police/TSA. Airport PR has precedence. Learned that from my reporting days.

Jonathan
Jonathan Kirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:21 PM   #21
Inner Circle

a good one

Good evening,

I travel with the porta brace and last trip to California one of the connections was an air bus. My case was under my feet and seat. I always pick an isle seat. I can stretch my legs out to the side and get up Quickly to get camera equipment down before someone else bashes it or such.

Last summer I was out at our nearest international airport, parked outside the air runway fence. Tripod in the bed of my half ton, on a big tripod to shoot some video of my wife's landings and take offs.

In less than three minutes I had airport security saying hello. I guess from a distance it could look like a tripod mounted launcher. Never occured to me until then.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home