will Linux give more power to ole PC? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 16th, 2007, 04:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

will Linux give more power to ole PC?

i am drooling over these hv20 video samples.. WOW!

i have one option.. either buy new computer or hv20? but if i buy hv20 i need a new computer?

i have a celeron M 1.6, 760RAM.. assuming this will choke on windows, will it run smoother under Linux Puppy?

i have recently splurged on a dslr and my current computer is sufficient for pictures..
do you think i can get by with this pc?
any solutions or ideas for the thrifty spender using old computers playing with HD video???

owen.
Owen Meek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 04:48 AM   #2
Major Player

Proabably not for real time full screen playback. As for Linux, I don't even know what support there is for HD video. I just installed Ubuntu Studio Linux here, a multimedia production version of Linux with loads of audio, music, 3d and graphics programs. All the included video apps seem to be DV only.

Of course I'm sure all the big production houses running Linux would have some kind kind of HD playback, for the simple reason they're making feature films on those computers.
Glenn Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Meek View Post
i am drooling over these hv20 video samples.. WOW!

i have one option.. either buy new computer or hv20? but if i buy hv20 i need a new computer?

i have a celeron M 1.6, 760RAM.. assuming this will choke on windows, will it run smoother under Linux Puppy?

i have recently splurged on a dslr and my current computer is sufficient for pictures..
do you think i can get by with this pc?
any solutions or ideas for the thrifty spender using old computers playing with HD video???

owen.
Buy the camera and spend another $50 or so on a memory upgrade, which can help with speed quite a bit. You'll still be bordering on the minimum to edit HD but hey, you got your camera, you can shoot HD and build a faster computer down the road. I think as you reach into your library of tapes 6 months or so down the road, you'll be happy you did.

Unless you have one already, you will have to update your RLE to be able to handle HD. Besides, even if you can't do a lot of editing yet, you can stream from the camera to your HDTV and start building a library of tape to edit later. I assume you have an HDTV, since you're wanting to get into tapeing your own HD.

The dirty little secret here that know one want to admit or point out is that 99% of the people with the HV20 have no way of putting together an edited product they can slip in an HD player attached to the HDTV or send a copy to there distant relative that has a setup to watch it. My prediction is that it's going to be another year before the delivery of an HD product from our camcorders are playing on our HDTV's is mainstream. I think most of the resultant HD files that everyone is producing right now winds up being played on our computers.

Folks, please tell me that I'm wrong; that there is a nice sweet economical work flow from shooting HD on our "Twenty" to watching an edited printout on our HDTV (not a monitor connected to the computer). I believe we are all pioneers, developing the processes, technology, software, and hardware that will give help produce that product for people in about a year or so.
John Hotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Thomas View Post
Proabably not for real time full screen playback. As for Linux, I don't even know what support there is for HD video. I just installed Ubuntu Studio Linux here, a multimedia production version of Linux with loads of audio, music, 3d and graphics programs. All the included video apps seem to be DV only.

Of course I'm sure all the big production houses running Linux would have some kind kind of HD playback, for the simple reason they're making feature films on those computers.
hi Glenn, thank you!!
Ubuntu Music Studio looks interesting! not too soon i hope, before we get Linux as a viable option for HDV editing.
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:00 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hotze View Post
Buy the camera and spend another $50 or so on a memory upgrade, which can help with speed quite a bit. You'll still be bordering on the minimum to edit HD but hey, you got your camera, you can shoot HD and build a faster computer down the road. I think as you reach into your library of tapes 6 months or so down the road, you'll be happy you did.

Unless you have one already, you will have to update your REL to be able to handle HD. Besides, even if you can't do a lot of editing yet, you can stream from the camera to your HDTV and start building a library of tape to edit later. I assume you have an HDTV, since you're wanting to get into tapeing your own HD.

The dirty little secret here that know one want to admit or point out is that 99% of the people with the HV20 have no way of putting together an edited product they can slip in an HD player attached to the HDTV or send a copy to there distant relative that has a setup to watch it. My prediction is that it's going to be another year before the delivery of an HD product from our camcorders are playing on our HDTV's is mainstream. I think most of the resultant HD files that everyone is producing right now winds up being played on our computers.

Folks, please tell me that I'm wrong; that there is a nice sweet economical work flow from shooting HD on our "Twenty" to watching an edited printout on our HDTV (not a monitor connected to the computer). I believe we are all pioneers, developing the processes, technology, software, and hardware that will give help produce that product for people in about a year or so.
hi John!
yep! thanks.. thats what im going to do.. keep building library just like photography and buy the pc later.
i don't own much (no HDTV!) but the little i do is making the most of the space it takes up.
surely the HV20 takes up so little for what it really is. :)

i think i may have found the answer with SheerVideo by BitJazz!

from the site...

"For prosumer-quality source formats such as DVCPro HD, DV-25, MPEG, H.264, AVC, and HDV, upgrading to nondestructive SheerVideo takes more space, but quickens your work with a far lighter processor load, and eliminates image degradation."

worth looking into!
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:17 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Meek View Post
hi John!
yep! thanks.. thats what im going to do.. keep building library just like photography and buy the pc later.
i don't own much (no HDTV!) but the little i do is making the most of the space it takes up.
surely the HV20 takes up so little for what it really is. :)

i think i may have found the answer with SheerVideo by BitJazz!

from the site...

"For prosumer-quality source formats such as DVCPro HD, DV-25, MPEG, H.264, AVC, and HDV, upgrading to nondestructive SheerVideo takes more space, but quickens your work with a far lighter processor load, and eliminates image degradation."

worth looking into!
also, you might think about making your next purchase after the camcorder & before the computer - a good LCD display with an HDMI interface & as much resolution as you can afford. That way, since you don't have an HDTV yet you can still view your HD tapes directly on the LCD and than use the LCD on your next computer.
John Hotze is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders