External HD Monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old May 20th, 2007, 06:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

External HD Monitor

I'm curious which external monitor would be right for the A1.
I want to buy one, but would like to know some experience of other users.

I have some questions:

Is a TFT screen good enough to use for external monitor?
Should I buy a TFT with full HD or can I buy one with less resolution?
Composite or component, or both ?
Which screensize is good enough?

I would like to take it with me 'in the field' now and then. I have 230 volts with me all the time.

Thanks in advance,

Gert
Gert Kracht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Steve Dempsey uses one. I know he's mentioned the specs somewhere here on the forum.

this may be the one
http://www.lcdracks.com/monitors/vr70phda.html

trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Trish,

I was looking around for that overhere. But 1500 dollars....woof!
I gues when you use it on a professional level that it is a great solution.

I looked around and found these:

http://www.planetdv.net/Content/By_M...CD_Monitor.asp

But that has no component input. So I searched again and found a Samsung TFT screen 19 inch:

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Moni...19DOWSSXAA.asp

The Samsung 940MW. 19 inch multifunction LCD TV/Monitor with 16:10 wide format screen (native resolution 1440x900). It has 15 Pin, D-Sub, DVI-D, CVBS, S-Video, Scart, COMPONENT and RF inputs

Does anybody has experience with these screens? Is it a resonable solution for external monitor use?

Maybe this is not good enough....??
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Look at this ikan...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...D_Monitor.html

Only $750 and is HD (component I/O). It's out of stock though at B&H.

If you're going to use an external monitor with this camera you want it to be HD otherwise it's not of much use in my opinion.
Old May 20th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #5
Major Player

But is this is for out in the field shooting? Refining the focus, color checking etc? Or for checking the footage back at home beside your computer system?

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #6
Trustee

My requirements for a field monitor include...
A: Portability... The last thing I want is to lug around a 19" LCD monitor in the field.
B: Battery Powered... Many of the locations I shoot do not have A/C power.
C: Must have HD Input... Standard Def monitors just don't cut the mustard.
D: Cost... Being the frugal guy I am, I didn't want to spend a bundle.

I ended up purchasing a Marshall V-R70P-HDA, as it met my minimum requirements.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Dave can you power the monitor off the XLR power off the camera?
Old May 20th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #8
Regular Crew

@ Trish: Think of this as a monitor for using @ home for using it during editing and ofcourse do a little of fine tuning.
As for in the field: there are a few situations where I use it in the field: shooting the fanfilm, shooting the concert in London (from a fixed position) and doing similar things in the future. I'm not planning to take it with me on top of the camera. ;-)

7 or 8 inch screens are better for in the field. But, it may be an HD monitor with the inputs, the screen still has a maximum amount of pixels: 800x480. That's not full HD so I think you loose information from the input signal conversion to the screen. I believe they call that: 'Input Cropping'. There are full HD monitors on the market but I did not see those in the smaller sizes. And if they are there...what would those cost?

In other words, my requirements for an external monitor are....

a: maximum amount of inputs: composite, component, scart, dhmi
b: a good screen which has 1920x1080 pixels, or close.
c: 19 inch is good.
d: what David said @ his D.

@ Paul: The XLR power of the camera is 48 volts. But it has not enough amps available for powering external hardware. For instance: a monitor
The 48 volts is meant for using microphones which do not need many amps to function. So an external monitor must have his own power supply (battery or 110-230 Volts).

Oh...I looked around on the internet what people use. Adam Wilt wrote a very nice article on his website: http://www.adamwilt.com/HDV/hp2335.html

Tomorow I will go visit a nearby electronics shop to look around. Maybe I will bring my camera to see some results.

EDIT: I looked around on the Samsung website. The manual of the 940MW tells me that it has almost all the stuff I want: inputs and also the possebility to 'tweak' the monitor picture.
I can change the picture mode: Dynamic, standard, Movie and Custom (this last one is interesting)

Next to that, the monitor has a VGA and DVI-D input. There are drivers for Windows and a program called Natural Color Pro coming with the monitor. The monitor has RGB settings in the menu. So a little 'tweaking' with it is possible.

Last edited by Gert Kracht; May 20th, 2007 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Adding information I found
Old May 20th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #9
Wrangler

Hi Gert. Have a look at the following thread, especially Rob DuBree's post on page 2: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=91877

I'm moving this thread to our monitors forum since what you want isn't really specific to the A1 and you may get more responses. You might also want to take a little while to browse back through the posts in this forum for more ideas: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=112
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
Hi Gert. Have a look at the following thread, especially Rob DuBree's post on page 2: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=91877

I'm moving this thread to our monitors forum since what you want isn't really specific to the A1 and you may get more responses. You might also want to take a little while to browse back through the posts in this forum for more ideas: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=112
Thanks Boyd. Looking forward to receiver more opinions.
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Nice

Nice job steven..I found that the debate of 24p vs 24f is pretty much solved in this sample. After reviewing the footage on my 1920x1080P monitor that has progressive capabilities...there is no noticable difference in the cadence of the 2 cameras. As for color...I know this is not an issue on this test..but my overall observation is that it looks as if the HVX needs a polarizer filter to get the same image as the A1. But between 24p vs 24f...there is no difference except in the wording.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software