Cheap HD field monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old May 24th, 2007, 12:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cheap HD field monitor?

I've been looking for a cheap monitoring solution for focusing and framing.
The viewfinder and small LCD of the HD101 have been enough for me but now
I've purchased a crane and need some other way to view what I'm shooting.

I found this JVC GD-17L1GU monitor for $299 and would like to know if
anyone has tried this and if it would work for my purpose using batteries.

What other options do I have ?
I'm looking for HD monitor that is more a less cheap, that can be seen in sunlight,
can be battery powered and has the necessary inputs. I've been reading posts
here and many of the other options I've seen are around 7" with low resolution
then there are the color accurate CRT monitors for field which are too expensive.
Melvin Torrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:07 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I've done a similar thing - but with a widescreen LCD monitor (the JVC looks like it's 4:3). My monitor (actually a Viewsonic TV which also has the usual TV aerial inputs) has component in (from the Canon XH-A1) and is HD-capable and I bought an invertor to run it from a portable 12v battery pack. The whole lot is in a flight-case (one for DJ turntables is the right size and the lid can come completely off). It works really well.
Mark Harmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply,
I decided to try out one of those 7" Delvcam monitors that are for sale on
Kessler crane site which is the crane I have. I know Varizoom and Delvcam aren't
top quality based on what I've read on this forum but using the JVC 17" will not
be visible in daylight... and all the extra weight with batteries and converters is
not practical.
Nebtek monitors would be more expensive and better quality but I'm trying to
save a few dollars, if it gives me just slightly better quality than the onboard
LCD then I'll be fine.
Old May 25th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #4
Wrangler

I looked at the Delvcam monitors at NAB and the price is attractive. They also have a package deal with carrying case, batteries, etc. But I really wasn't impressed by the image quality unfortunately. The ones I saw only accepted composite video and the LCD panels have pretty low pixel counts. I think you need to get into the $800+ range before the quality is noticeably better than the built-in LCD screen on my Z1.

Have you seen this thread? http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=91877

Here's my photo of a couple Delvcam screens from NAB: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...3&d=1177002852
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

It's package I'm about to order. Yes I read your post a few days ago and it was
very informative, I checked out all the other options and reasons I decided on
this one was that it comes with everything I need, cheap, and I'll be using it
mostly with the crane when I'm not able to use the onboard LCD or viewfinder.
It should be sufficient as a guide at what I'm framing, later on I'll get something
a lot better hopefully :)
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #6
Trustee

IMHO, If you are shooting HD, purchasing a standard Def field monitor is a waste of money.
I have a Delvcam, and while it works OK as a Standard Def field monitor,
It is totally unacceptable for High Def field work. That is unless you don't care if your shots are in focus.

I ended up buying a Marshall V-R70P-HDA for HD field work.
No it's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot less expensive than an Astro.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 04:59 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
I ended up buying a Marshall V-R70P-HDA for HD field work.
No it's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot less expensive than an Astro.
Interesting, David. Wondering why 'it's not perfect' and also why you went for this rather than the HDSI (next model up).

I'm using a Z1, in case you're wondering.

Is there a neck sling and sunshade anywhere for this unit?

My shoe mounts are already gummed up with mics and receivers...

Best

John
John Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 06:05 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace View Post
Interesting, David. Wondering why 'it's not perfect' and also why you went for this rather than the HDSI (next model up).

I'm using a Z1, in case you're wondering.

Is there a neck sling and sunshade anywhere for this unit?

My shoe mounts are already gummed up with mics and receivers...

Best

John
To get a HD field monitor that approaches perfect also approaches $6k.

The reason for choosing the V-R70P-HDA rather than the model with HD-SDI ?
The Canon XH-A1 I shoot with has Component out.
And when I shoot with the Canon XL-H1, I monitor from the component out while feeding the HD-SDI directly into a Kona card for capture.

As far as mounting goes, I use an articulating arm mounted to the 15mm rail support, or fluid head, depending on the camera.

If you are shooting HD, save your money and get a monitor that supports HD.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #9
Regular Crew

If the lens is at full wide I agree that It's very hard to focus unless you have HD
monitor so what I usually do is focus the object at tele and if I need to pull
focus I'll measure the distances and make markings, this for me works perfectly in
95% of the cases.
Old May 26th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #10
Trustee

I dont think most people realize that the HD they are shooting is not tack sharp. MOST the footage I see posted here and in other forums is footage that ranges from focused (not tack sharp) to very soft focus. It is very rare to see tack sharp footage and it is due in most part to poor monitors. I use the Panny 17" when possible and the Marshall is BARELY good enough for a stock HVX and NOT good enough for an HVX with a 35mm adapter. I tested the Nebtek at NAB and it was the only sub $2500 monitor I have felt you could get tack sharp focus with every time. The rez is not better than the Marshal but it is sharper and has more features but at $1750 is not really "cheap." Right now, a cheap HD field monitor just does not exist. You have 2 choices, spend $1500+ or accept soft focus on many shots.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 01:53 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I just got the nebtek with the canon battery pack..It is a lot easier to focus with than any sub 1000.00 monitor. You just have to bite the bullet when you get into HD. But at least for the canon A1 I feel I should get my moneys worth over the long haul having a decent monitor to focus with..especially if your using a 35mm adaptor.
Cary Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 04:02 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I still haven't made up my mind... I've been looking at ways to use a normal PC display but the biggest problem is I can't find anything practical. I think I'm going to go for a Ikan 8000HD, but is there a big difference between the new v8000W and 8000HD, the only difference seems to be the component input, is it worth the extra $300.
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #13
Trustee

I tested the Ikan and it is not very good. Decent but you cannot get tack sharp focus very easily.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #14
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Harmer View Post
I've done a similar thing - but with a widescreen LCD monitor (the JVC looks like it's 4:3). My monitor (actually a Viewsonic TV which also has the usual TV aerial inputs) has component in (from the Canon XH-A1) and is HD-capable and I bought an invertor to run it from a portable 12v battery pack. The whole lot is in a flight-case (one for DJ turntables is the right size and the lid can come completely off). It works really well.
mark,
What type of Viewsonic is it? I have the canon A1 and am looking for something to use a as a field monitor HD 16x9
Alex Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:18 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson View Post
I dont think most people realize that the HD they are shooting is not tack sharp. MOST the footage I see posted here and in other forums is footage that ranges from focused (not tack sharp) to very soft focus. It is very rare to see tack sharp footage and it is due in most part to poor monitors. I use the Panny 17" when possible and the Marshall is BARELY good enough for a stock HVX and NOT good enough for an HVX with a 35mm adapter. I tested the Nebtek at NAB and it was the only sub $2500 monitor I have felt you could get tack sharp focus with every time. The rez is not better than the Marshal but it is sharper and has more features but at $1750 is not really "cheap." Right now, a cheap HD field monitor just does not exist. You have 2 choices, spend $1500+ or accept soft focus on many shots.

ash =o)
Hey Ash,
You were most helpful with my newbie XL2 days, and now I'm moving to the A1. I went to the Nebtek site, and only found SD items for camera mount, or the Pany tc-7wms1 (which I own and was bullet proof with nebtek's inputs, AB D-tap, etc...), but I could not find a camera mounted HD monitor, or any monitor for $1750 even...

Do you recall the model so I may look into this...
Sincere thanks again,
Lonnie
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software