UWOL#3 "Wild on the shore" by Geir Inge B. Brekke at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:35 AM   #1
Trustee

UWOL#3 "Wild on the shore" by Geir Inge B. Brekke

Wild on the shore 77 MB mediaplayer
Wild on the shore 83 MB quicktime

The coastline of Norway concedes of thousands of islands, fjords and high mountains which rice from the shore. I think it’s a beautiful and wild landscape and in my uwol#3 film, I hope I’ve managed to capture some of it. Many a ship and many a sailor have found their grave, over the years on these shores, so it can be quite a challenge at times, especially in the winter.

“Wild on the shore”, is mostly filmed on location at the little island, “Runde”.
Runde has 150 people (resident) who lives on one side of the island, but each year at springtime, nearly one million sea birds invade this little island, just to mate. The birds lives on the other side of the island, where the cliffs goes straight down to the sea. Most of the island is preserved by the government because of the birds.

I’ve been climbing mountains to get the intro clips, and it took me one day to get 7 min on tape. I’ve been 3 days on Runde, crawling the cliffs, getting some bird poop in my hair (well, what’s left of it), trying to get some birds on tape. I instantly fell in love with the puffins. That’s where I got the idea of composing my own music, “The Puffin Dance”, I think it fits the movement of the puffin when it walks on the cliff and when the gulls circles around over the sea. I tried to capture the white tale eagle when she was hunting kittiwakes, but didn’t succeed, but in distance you can see her at the end of the film and all the gulls are “taking off” the cliffs. I’ve been one day on board “Aquila”, a little boat, but 2 hours on tape almost gave me nothing to use. It was all too shaky, because of the waves and the engine shaking the boat. But I’ve used some of it. Tripod was useless on board Aquila.

Narrations in the beginning, is done at home, but the one in the field I had to do 17 times before I was satisfied. It was fun though, because some tourist walking by above stopped and wonders what crazy guy crawling down there, talking to himself, in plain English. So they all thought I was a foreigner :)
All sounds from the birds, it’s original, this include the razorbill, puffin (when they hide in their caves when the eagle comes), the skua and the gulls and gannets.
The skua is incubating, not on the cliffs, but on the moor. Tourists from different countries are visiting Runde each year, many of them from Germany, just to photograph the birds. The cave where you see the kayaks goes 120 m into the cliff.

Close ups of these birds: Puffins, Razorbill, Brown skua
In distance these birds: Kittiwakes, White tale eagle, Gannet, Common shag and different gulls.
I thought of putting in text, the name of the species, but I found it disturbingly. So there it is my story for uwol #3. Now it’s for you to rip it off, be gentle.

Equipment:
Camera: Canon XLH1
Lenses: Canon HD 20 and Sigma 17 - 200mm
Editing: Avid Liquid 7.2 pro
Music: Acid 6 pro
Tripod: Libec H55
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:47 AM   #2
Major Player

Butiful.

Fantastic Geir Inge
Du så vel ikke gullfuglen i klippene også.Inponert!!!
Good luck.

Best Regards
vidar vedaa
Vidar Vedaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:05 AM   #3
Inner Circle

You got some very nice scenery there, Geir Inge!
Watching your film made me feel like I was right there myself.

Well done!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:21 AM   #4
Trustee

I really liked your entry Geir Inge. This show the wild island and birdlife in a very nice and impressive way. Your self componed music substantiated the footage very well. And the way you commented this in a real "David Attenborough" way, nice!

Well done, this is one of my favorites in this round.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:19 AM   #5
New Boot

Greetings Geir!
Very impressive entry! Beautiful scenery. I especially loved the closeups of the puffin faces. I agree with Per, the narrator reminded me of the David Attenborough approach. Sadly (for me), I cannot enjoy the sound on any of the entries as I watch from work and have no speakers! So all my comments apply to your visuals only! Geir, keep up the hard work...we enjoy the fruits of your efforts!

j.
Jeff Swick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:48 AM   #6
Regular Crew

All I can say is ... I love this kind of stuff! The puffin footage is awesome. I love those colors on the bill and if you read about these small birds they have a very interesting biology as well. I can imagine great effort went into capturing and putting together this piece. Congratulations on your efforts, Geir. Thanks so much for letting us see this marvelous view of your land.

Rick
Rick A. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:14 AM   #7
Trustee

Hey Geir.

I really like your piece. It has a kind of 'shooting' off the hip style but at the same time some really nice angles and mix of quality shots. At first I was unsure about the 'to camera' narration but in the context of the film I think it fits and adds a nice personal touch. I do think you should have drawn a conclusion 'to camera' as well though and it would have balenced things out better. I would have also liked to have found something out about your subjects...if your narrating then why not educate a little too!

wow, wow, wow great puffin shots...I love these birds and they are just so photogenic, really nice shots there.

Great piece Geir...really nice. I've only watched 3 films so far but the standard is high this time !
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:11 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Great film Geir,

I'm very jealous. You were 3 days on Runde and got this amazing film! I'm going to analyse your shots and see if I can steal your ideas for my next film.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:53 AM   #9
Trustee

Thanks for all your feedback.

Rick: It was great filming these scenes and you can get really close to the puffins. When I film animals or birds, I always get some information about them, gathering information about the species in a folder/cover.

Mat: I see what you mean, and agreed. I had plans you see. Close ups of the puffins while I was talking about the birds. I've got some of it on tape, too :) but I was constantly interrupted by some schoolchildren. You see the rumours went on the island: "An english film maker has arrived" - and it was me. So most of my narration on location was spoiled. I did think of doing it at home in peace, but there was no time. All the scenes taken on land I use tripod, except the one of the skua.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:13 PM   #10
Trustee

Geir:

This film blew me away. Stunning filming and photography. Wonderful narration. Fabulous Geir, it was exciting to watch. Wow, thank you for this contribution. There was nothing I didn't like. How you put youself into the film and some behind the scenes shots showing us what it takes to get the filming you did. I also noted the thanks in the end, not only to the boaters but the birds. Awesome. I never once remembered to think about the bird shit on your head watching this film! Beautiful work.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:18 PM   #11
Trustee

A very nice piece of work. Those puffins were amazing.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:31 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I knew yours would be one of my favorites as soon as I started watching it. Great work.

Bruce
Bruce Ellingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:37 PM   #13
Major Player

Great job. This film was riveting. I loved the way you combined so many different shots and camera angles- above, below, close, to get a total sense of immersion in the habitat. It was the closest I could imagine to really being there. And your score, combined with the recordings of the birds, fit so well, and made it come alive. Some of your footage is stunning- and the puffins are spectacular.

I like the way you narrate the film, an extra dimension that allows the viewer to join in your experience. As you sat on the precipice, I was glad it was you and not me :)

Excellent job all around, in the field and in the studio with the edit. You integrated both phases really well.

Ruth
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:24 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Geir:

Thanks for inviting us into your back yard. Your appearance in the film certainly personalized it for us, gave us some scale, gave us a general point of reference. Very "Nova" like.... Super job...
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:19 AM   #15
Trustee

As always your film was a special treat. The views from the cliff were absolutely breathtaking and your images of the puffins enchanting.

One of our photography club members was stationed on Iceland and managed to get to where he could get still photos of puffins, that was my first look at them.

I really enjoyed the way you narrated to the camera some, gave me a chance to feel like I got to know you a little better, and I think that worked well for your film too. Your music "Puffin Dance" seemed to fit the moving video perfectly and I feel if you got enough raw video to expand this it would stand an excellent chance of being "picked up" by some venue such as the IFC.

I really wanted this one to go on longer.

And once again, with your permission, I would like for our local photography club to see this.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge