UWOL#3 "Wild on the shore" by Geir Inge B. Brekke - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old May 30th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #31
Tourist

Hei Geir Inge.
Utrolig flotte bilder du hadde på filmen. Sjølv har eg høgdeskrekk og vil aldri klatre ned i ura. På Herøynytt-videoen hadde du også med ørner. Savna kanskje at du hadde navn på fuglane på engelsk då du prata engelsk. Det er vel ikkje alle som kjenner til Lundefuglen.
Martin Furmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:31 AM   #32
Wrangler

hi geir: i've been keeping my mouth closed until after the judging, but i just had to chime in and say what a pleasure it is to see you developing your craft. you took a huge leap forward with this video. very professional, interesting camerawork, and a pleasure to watch. what a pay-off, to see the players grow in such a short time.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 01:05 PM   #33
Trustee

Rejected clips

Now I’ve packed my bags and do leave for Oslo tomorrow morning.
I promised to put some of my clips from Runde to this tread, and here they are.

First to Martin: Thanks for comments, yours in Norwegian, but I have to answer in English, hope you don’t mind :)
I had in mind writing the names of the birds in my film, but I found it too disturbing. It was my intention to narrate the film in field, but it was spoiled and I didn’t have a field monitor with me, and so time ran out for me. Look at the clips and you’ll see what I mean. You mention another film from Runde where I caught the white tale eagle, but I felt I had to use the bird clip filmed in those 3 weeks I had available, confirming to the uwol rules.

Meryem: Thank you for kind words. I’m going on holiday 16th July; can you say anything about when the uwol#4 theme will be announced? I got to have one of those T-shirts :)

Ok, here are some rejected clips from my uwol3 film.
Filming wildlife isn’t easy and I’m sure you’ll agree on that.
You can’t plan how the animals/birds will act, etc.
Filming over several days, the light and weather conditions will change.
And then there is a time schedule, giving it an extra pressure, but I love that one :)
I reckon most of us competing in uwol have a “normal” job, and that filming is mostly done in our spare time, at least it is for me.
I must mention one thing, the shooting ratio. I’m working hard on that one and 4 hours on tape putting it in to a 3 min film, gives a high shooting ratio, and it comes back to me in the editing process.
Some advices filming on new places and here’s what I did:
I “google” Runde and found some information, just to get to know the island a little better.
I phoned up an old Lady and she told me a lot about the birds and where to find different species.
She wouldn't let me mention her name in the film, so thats why I'm not mention her in the end.
I wrote a manuscript and rehearsed in front of my camera.
I learned my text so I could speak to the camera without manuscript in front of me.
What I didn’t do so well, was planning how much time to use from the very start until the film was finished.
When it comes to my greenscreene, this one is just for rehearsel, I've got one thats ironed too :)

Behind scenes Uwol#3 (wmv only): Rejected
Old May 30th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Thank you for sharing the behind the scenes, Geir Inge.
Not easy to do handheld video and zoom in at the objects at the same time. Been there, done that myself.

Have a nice trip to Oslo.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #35
Trustee

Wow, that was nice to view. I think you manage to show some of the pain and hard work it takes to make a good uwol contribution.
As I've said to you before you have developed so well in your filming skills.

I look forward to come over to your place this weekend. Runde seem to be a place where I will get those magnificent shoot of seabird that I've strived for some time.
And it's about time that we meet in person next week. Think we have something to talk about and exchange some great ideas.

It's funny, you are going to my place in Oslo and I'm travelling to your place this weekend, so we will not meet before next week!

Be careful with the urban life in the City, Geir Inge ;-)

Last edited by Per Johan Naesje; May 30th, 2007 at 11:36 PM.
Per Johan Naesje is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge