Wes Vasher, someone is taking claim of your HV20 frame grabs! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Closed Thread

Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:08 AM   #1
Major Player

Wes Vasher, someone is taking claim of your HV20 frame grabs!

Wes, someone is trying to pass of your cat picture as their own.

Link removed by Admin -- it pointed to material belonging to a DV Info Net member which has been re-distributed by a non-member without permission; a violation of copyright.

Check the cat picture under the HV20 samples.

His "capture" is much softer and less detailed than yours.

Mike
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Thanks Mike! haha... that does look EXACTLY like my cat shot! What are the odds?

Not sure why they would want to use my shot... make it look worse and post it is beyond me. In defense of whoever posted this they say that it is a frame grabbed from "some HV20 footage" so I don't think they are saying they took the footage. It would have been appropriate to at least credit the source of the original footage though.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:59 AM   #3
Major Player

I think he's just grabbed a bunch of shots that have been posted here. I recognise a couple of the others too. Doesn't mention that he took the footage himself though. I think they're just for comparison, and he most probably would have downloaded footage from the other cameras too.

But what terrible frame grabs! He's going to give the HV20 a bad name if people see those shots.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:02 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Vasher View Post
In defense of whoever posted this they say that it is a frame grabbed from "some HV20 footage" so I don't think they are saying they took the footage. It would have been appropriate to at least credit the source of the original footage though.
Agreed, but it sure is implied.

Not to mention the fact that it makes your footage look like garbage when compared to your frame grab.

Of course, he could have just posted your excellent frame grab to show what the HV20 is really capable of, but he seems to have an agenda of his own.

BTW, he was too busy bashing the HV20 on another site and was using these "frame grabs" to show how soft the image is.

Funny, your grab from the same footage looks anything but soft. ;)

Mike
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:10 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

He's not a member here but he posts on usenet and I know of him from other circles not related to digital video. However he's not saying that Wes Vasher's clips are his own. Instead he is saying "below are some sample still frames that I pulled from some Canon HV20 footage," as in, somebody else's footage. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:18 AM   #6
Major Player

In the thread he posted links to (on another forum) he goes on to try and bash the HV20 by showing the samples he took from other users footage without any mention of who's footage it is. He could have at least given them some credit.

That's a big no-no as far as I'm concerned. Especially since his "grabs" make their footage look terrible.

In the end, it seems that was his goal.

The funny thing is, he accused someone else of doctoring their HV20 pics! Just because they looked good. :)

I'm not all that bitter, but I would be a little annoyed if someone did that with my footage. Just thought it was worth a "heads up".

Last edited by Chris Hurd; May 28th, 2007 at 05:31 PM. Reason: removed quote of a post which has been deleted
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:37 AM   #7
Major Player

Wonder why someone would go to so much trouble to make the HV20 look bad.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:00 AM   #8
Inner Circle

To make himself feel good about putting out near $5k for his camera.... And, mind you, I am not knocking V1U. I would buy it if I had the need. What I love about the HV20 is that it gave me an entree into 24p that I wouldn't have, and it makes a hell of a nice image to boot...
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:25 AM   #9
Major Player

Each still, without a doubt in my mind, has had a Gaussian blur applied before posting. It's too soft to even be a bad lens - with a bad lens, the HDV codec will still leave artifacts, and there are none. It's been doctored, Jim.

Someone's defensive and out to prove something.

Not 'cool'.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:49 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Vasher View Post
Not sure why they would want to use my shot... make it look worse and post it is beyond me. In defense of whoever posted this they say that it is a frame grabbed from "some HV20 footage" so I don't think they are saying they took the footage. It would have been appropriate to at least credit the source of the original footage though.
Wes, I went head to head with this guy over at AVS. He's incredibly dishonest and I called him on that. His site gives no credit to anyone's picture and his intent was to 'prove' how 'soft' the HV20 video is.

I told him I had both the FX7 and the HV20 and found the detail to be every bit as good with the HV20. He used your doctored grabs as 'proof' that he was right. I've rarely seen anything like it! I then went on to post a grab from my HV20, but had to downsize it due to file size restrictions on that site. He then accused ME of 'doctoring' the shot since I downsized it and thus made it 'look good'. He then took another frame grab from somewhere else (probably here) and then sharpened it, applied leveling adjustments and then downsized it. Of course it looked terrible and was horribly oversharpened. I told him my undoctored shot was far better than his attempt to 'prove' how bad the HV20 was. The guy is bad news.

What ticked me off was that he called ME dishonest because I downsized the shot due to file size restrictions...and look what he did!

BTW, he did the same thing on another thread where he claimed that ABC's HD was no better than SD. There he took a 720p grab from ABC and horribly enlarged it so that it was soft. He was called on that too.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:04 PM   #11
Major Player

AVS doesn't harbour them, he was banned after the moderator caught wind of his post. In fact, it was the moderator from AVS who figured out that he was taking footage from here, doctoring it, and posting it over there.

I love this site, but for Home Theater advice, there is no better than AVS.
AVS' camcorder sub-forum is no match for the forums here however. Not their speciality.

Cheers,

Mike
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:06 PM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

That's good to hear, thanks Mike -- I've always thought highly of AVS. Was worried there for a minute.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:14 PM   #13
Major Player

No problem, Chris.

The problem is... when a forum has >400,000 members it does get tougher to keep an eye on everyone.

I prefer smaller, more tight-knit forums myself.

This forum is great for many reasons.

Cheers,

Mike
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:19 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrigan View Post
AVS doesn't harbour them, he was banned after the moderator caught wind of his post. In fact, it was the moderator from AVS who figured out that he was taking footage from here, doctoring it, and posting it over there.

Mike

Mike is correct. I sent the mod a PM thanking him for his detective work. I think nailing people like that is important in maintaining the integrity of the site.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:12 PM   #15
Major Player

Soft... Hah...

These were Hv10 w/ slight saturation adjust (1280 x 720 not 1440 x 1080)
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders