Raiders shot-for-shot by teenagers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old June 19th, 2003, 06:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Thanks for the link, Chris. I have not heard this (but that isn't unusual!). Is this on the level? The kid in the trailer looked a bit old for 12 - it looked like he had sideboards. But it also took them 6 years to complete, so they may not have shot in order. There is no chance this is another "Blair Witch-type" publicity, is it?

Very interesting. Has anyone seen this film?
Old June 19th, 2003, 06:36 PM   #3
Major Player

Wow! That is strong! I would love to catch this at a film festival. Has anybody heard if this will be rolled out on the festival circuit?
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2003, 06:56 PM   #4
Major Player

Paul - Is that not an amazing film (if true)? I suppose I have no reason to believe that it isn't true. I wish I could see it somewhere. I'm not as experienced as you guys (ie: I haven't been around as long) - is this RAIDERS remake a well-known thing? Is it taken for granted that it's legit?
Old June 19th, 2003, 07:09 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

This is completely legit; the story I linked to was from a movie marathon by Austin legend Harry Knowles who screened this with the filmmakers in attendance. Hundreds of people have seen this thing, including Spielberg (who loved it). It's very much for real and if you dig for it, you should be able to turn up plenty of links... such as:

Here's a review from the Austin Chronichle complete with a production still.

And also, from a blog somewhere: "The movie was thoroughly enjoyable and I was glad to have watched the original the night before. Two of the guys who made it were at the screening and answered questions after the movie. The movie is a shot for shot remake of Spielberg’s original (with the exception of the fight scene by the airplane). The film makers were nine and ten years old when they saw the movie (in 1981) and decided to re-shoot it. It took them 8 years and you could see them change in age from scene to scene. In one scene, Indy’s voice changes between two shots. The kids incredibly ingenious in their special effects and in substitutions and staid true to the original. It was fun waiting for the next scene and wondering how they’d do it. And they never took an easy way out. The funniest part was their using a puppy (Snickers, according to the credits) as a substitute for the monkey. They even had it do the Sieg Heil gesture (with a nylon string, as they told us in the Q&A). Definitely a great movie to see, if you ever get the chance." Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2003, 07:17 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Woah, looks like it's still playing in Austin!

See http://www.drafthouse.com/online_tix...sp?show_id=738.

Don't have anything planned Monday night; think I'll go up and see it. Any other Austin area DVi members want to meet me for a beer at the Alamo Cinema Draft House and check this thing out?

Old June 19th, 2003, 10:03 PM   #7
Major Player

Chris, please give us a quick review of the flick if you have time and thanks for the explanation. That is truly amazing what those boys/young men did. I wish I had that type of ambition and drive at 12!
Old June 19th, 2003, 10:26 PM   #8
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Quote:
SEE Indiana Jones grow six inches, drop into a baritone and grow facial hair! SEE Marion Ravenwood develop breasts! SEE the meanest pack of prepubescent nazis ever recorded on film!
Oh, man! I've gotta see this someday!
Old June 20th, 2003, 05:00 AM   #9
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Woah, looks like it's still playing in Austin!

See http://www.drafthouse.com/online_tix...sp?show_id=738.

Don't have anything planned Monday night; think I'll go up and see it. Any other Austin area DVi members want to meet me for a beer at the Alamo Cinema Draft House and check this thing out? -->>>

Ah man, I will be in Austin all weekend - but have to leave on Sunday. Chris, drink a cold one for me.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2003, 01:57 PM   #10
Major Player

HEY CHRIS, I JUST MIGHT MAKE THAT DRIVE, ITS A BUCK,RIGHT?
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2003, 03:33 PM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Paul, I'll have three or four for you.

Gary, it's just a buck! I'm coming up from practically the north side of S.A., so your drive won't be much longer than mine... the more, the merrier!

Old June 20th, 2003, 03:44 PM   #12
Capt. Quirk

Could ya take a cam and record it for those of us unable to make it? I'll even send you the buck for admission :)
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2003, 08:23 PM   #13
MPS Digital Studios

When I was 13, I borrowed a then hi-tech tiny consumer hi-8 camera to make a bunch of short horror movies (okay, two actually). The following summer, before high school, my Dad bought me a VHS camera and I made TONS of tiny little comedy and horror movies. In high school, it was sick and twisted comedy stuff. Without editing, btw. It was all done in camera! Ah, those were the days....

I wish they had DV and Apple FCP back then (even iMovie).

heath

ps-Didn't they make that movie years ago over a span of, like 12 years, the Raiders of the Lost Ark? Spielberg congratulated them.
Old June 21st, 2003, 04:31 PM   #14
RED Code Chef

I read that article back when it came out on AICN indeed. There
seemed to be a lot of different opinions on the subject. Some
thought it was way cool, others thought they had better made
there own movie others thought it was criminal and they need
to be charged with it....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2003, 11:32 PM   #15
Wrangler

I just got back from watching this with Chris, and I can verify that it is indeed, a shot-for-shot remake of Raiders of the Lost Ark, albeit missing a few scenes for obvious reasons. They didn't do the flying wing scene, or the scene where Indy charges off on the horse, but other than that, it's an amazing feat. They borrowed a lot of the soundtrack, but the video editing is surprisingly good.

This movie would be a really great extra on the Indiana Jones DVD set, but I doubt that'll happen. An alternative audio track by the creators would be really cool as well. I'm sure there are some great stories about Snickers and how they came up with the effects and sets. The most impressive parts of the movie were the stunt-heavy sequences, the bar fight in Tibet, and the fight on the truck leaving the dig. It's amazing that nobody died and nobody's house burned down.

It's really inspiring to see what a couple of kids with a video camera can come up with. It makes me feel lazy for having so much technical capability and not doing more with it. I'm sure there are kids out there doing amazing things with iMovie or Windows Movie Maker and a cheap 1 chip camera. Hopefully we won't have to wait 15 years to see the results of those efforts.
Jenn Kramer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark