Raiders shot-for-shot by teenagers - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old June 24th, 2003, 06:31 AM   #16
Trustee

You're Right, Jeff

You stole the sentiments from my head. I also feel guilty as hell for being top heavy with fantastic equipment and not using it to it's (and my) full potential. When I was growing up in the 60s and 70s, all I had was Super-8 and when you're that young, you have no conception of limitation. At that age we thought anything could be done. Now, we can go to Best Buy ans outfit ourselves with a system that the networks were using in the mid 90s. So yes, the children are an inspiration. A wise man once said that the true geniuses are those who have never lost their child like outlook. Be inspired. Lets make movies to entertain.
Hugh DiMauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 10:11 AM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

Well worth the drive and $1 admission.

The most incredible thing about this Raiders remake wasn't the spectacular stunt work (as Jenn mentions, the truck chase and the bar-room-on-fire brawl), but the fact that these kids actually finished it. From opening shot to credits, this is Raiders of the Lost Ark, shot for shot. It's an amazing excersize in dedication, of following through and completing what you start... not just on an individual level, but for a large group of teenagers. There are several principle roles and a big supporting cast and they all stuck with it for years until it was finished. I've got to hand it to Kurt Zala, brother of the director, who played a huge variety of supporting bits such as Arab digger, marketplace Arab, Afrika Korps Nazi, Kriegsmarine Nazi, ship's crewman, passenger, etc. etc. That kid must have had twenty credits in cast and crew.

Okay, so the production values of this thing were on the level of Edward D. Wood, Jr. but that was definitely part of the appeal. It's not easy when you're in high school to pull off multiple exotic set designs, costumes, props, etc. As Jeff said, there was no Flying Wing sequence (no way could they have done that, I think), and no riding off on a white Arabian, but they did have a U-boat and they did have a cargo ship. The highlight of the whole thing was the truck chase, very inventive, very convincing stunt work, very effective editing. They used a convertible VW Beetle for the German command car, a nice touch.

This was a sold-out show and the crowd loved every minute of it. There were numerous moments of spontaneous applause and cheering. Nobody cared that is was on third or fourth generation VHS. What mattered was the group effort of a bunch of motivated teens who saw this project through over the course of several years.

It makes me think, man, if only I was that young now, with summers free, with the gear that's available today, as cheaply as it is. In a way, the current Lady X project by some of our DVi members is as close as anyone is that I've seen to doing something creative as a group just for the fun of it with this amazing and affordable technology.

Raiders shot-for-shot by teenagers, two thumbs up, way up.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 10:37 AM   #18
Tourist

E-mail Me Hugh

Hi Hugh

Lets Chat about Super-8 cameras. What have you done to preserve those films?
Valerie Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 10:38 AM   #19
Major Player

Thanks for the review, Chris. I really hope that this comes to NC so that I can see it. It sounds like great fun to watch!
Old June 24th, 2003, 11:09 AM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

Hey Valerie,

Go ahead and post here in public about Super-8 cameras... many of our members including myself have fond memories of using those, and it would be great to discuss them out in the open where everyone can join in -- thanks,

Old June 27th, 2003, 11:06 AM   #21
Trustee

Super 8 Cameras for Valerie

Dear Val:

If you are inquiring about Super 8 I can only assume you are at least in your mid 30s because only us old retreads remember making home movies on Super 8 and later, Super 8 direct sound recorded on the magnetic stripe (and later "stereo" on the balance stripe). When I was a wee lad, I saved and scrimped and shoveled the snow from the neighbors driveways and sidewalks and was finally able to purchase my dream camera runner up: Chinon Pacific 12SMR (My dream camera was the Fujica ZC1000 Single 8. But that wasn't happening in my lifetime). <<Sigh>>. Twelve to one zoom, slo mo... jeez I get butterflies thinking of it. You know, today's mini dv has about the same resolution as Super 8 (I think) or is it the same frame size? Correct me if I'm wrong, people. ANYWAY... there are still alot of Super 8 enthusiasts using Super 8 for independent movies but why bother? Heck, mini dv is the way to go. I am about to start my second one hour indepenedent project called "Bounce Down", a shortened version of a full length two hour screenplay I had written in the mid 90s about auto insurance fraud and the insane bunch of detectives who work the unit. By the way, I used to live in Essex and Dundalk, Baltimore County, Md., and THAT place is very (as we used to say as kids) "moviesque". Now I'm in Jersey and this state is fabulous as far as movie locations. By the way, I knew a Valerie Shields once...
Old June 28th, 2003, 10:34 AM   #22
Tourist

Super 8 Chinon Pacific

Hi HUGH
I was glad to see you are still into screen plays and filming! This is the SAME Valerie Shields you use to know. I have e-mailed you a few times, perhaps you did not get them. Please e-mail me at albieval@att.net. It would be good to hear about your projects.
VALERIE
Valerie Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2003, 07:13 AM   #23
Trustee

Super 8

Dear Valeremus (aka squeegie) and Gang:

Let's not get too bent out of shape over Super 8. Super 8 is a format who's time has come and gone. Remember, Super 8 was a cost efficient replacement for 16 millimeter. My memories of Super 8 are fond and reverent (the same way people feel about Kate Hepburn, may she rest in peace). Time to move on. I'm so excited about DV I can hardly contain my enthusiasm. The optics are superior, picture quality and potential. I mean, c'mon, color correction on your computer! How cool is that? I'm gonna use my Canon until it either falls apart or until the manufacture of an affordable 2/3" 24p with interchangeable lenses. By the way, Val, I sent two e-mails.
Old June 29th, 2004, 06:56 AM   #24
Trustee

Hey, how come we can't find this thing online anywhere for sale or to view? That's weird in this day and age!

If anyone has any updates as to where we can see this thing...please pass it along.

Murph
Old June 29th, 2004, 07:40 AM   #25
Obstreperous Rex

In my opinion, it should've been included as a "special feature" of the real Raiders DVD set.

Old June 29th, 2004, 07:44 AM   #26
Trustee

But can we see it anywhere then? I've never even heard of it until I stumbled upon this thread.

It would probably be out on DVD already if it were possible. I'm sure Spielberg liked it, but ultimately doesn't want a feature length parody out. If it were a short I'm sure we'd see it online at all those short film sites.

I really want to see it!

Murph
Old August 27th, 2004, 12:58 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I really really reallly want to see this!!!

Somebody please find out how to find this so we can all enjoy this treasure!!

Thanks!
Old August 27th, 2004, 06:09 PM   #28
Regular Crew

I heard about this film on Nation Public Radio a few weeks ago. Someone (I didn't catch the name) is making a "fictionalized" film about what these young people did. I hope when that film is released the remake will be released on dvd.

As for Super/Regular 8 film/16mm, I shoot them all as well as DV. It looks very different than DV. To my eye, even something as small as Reg8 will give wonderful results. The reason most homemovies look like crap is the same reason most home videos looks like crap. If you have the right film and a good camera and know how to use them, you can created some amazing images.

Film is expensive. The start up costs are low (about $100) but 3 minutes of 8mm film will run you about $18! I've never edited film but it doesn't look like a lot of fun. If you want to NLE you have to get the the film "telecined" and that isn't cheap. And then ofcourse, there is the sound issue. If you want to have sound, crack out the visa card.

I encourage video people to work in film. Reg8/Super 8/16mm are all still avaliable. Get a camera at a thrift store or off the internet and have fun with it. Don't worry about which is "better" (its like arguing religion) just enjoy it. I learned a ton playing with film.
Old August 27th, 2004, 11:55 PM   #29
Major Player

I remember shooting with my Chinon Super 8 I received when I was about 14. 3 Minute Cartridges would be gone so fast and then you had to drop them off at the Kodak counter and wait like 2 weeks to get them back!

I tried editing everything in-camera and shooting in sequence as splicing and cementing that tiny film was such a pain. Thank god for DV and thank god for the DVX!
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2004, 08:29 AM   #30
Trustee

Raiders shot by shot coming to BOSTON

Hey, I just bought 4 tickets to the Cooliage Theater in Boston for Sept. 20th.

The Director Eric Zala is going to be there, so I'll try and ask some questions and also post a little review of the film. Anyone in the Boston area want to go? Go to the Cooliage website to buy tix quick....I've got 2 extras, so I might end up having them available so keep in touch.

It's weird, but I'm more excited about seeing this than any other film coming out the rest of the summer! (except Star Wars on DVD the next day!)

Murph

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark