reverse footage with vegas 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 17th, 2003, 04:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

reverse footage with vegas 4

I have a question for Vegas Video 4 and I'm sure that it is pretty simple. Usually its right in front of me but I just don't know where to look for them. Question is...in a lot of skate videos the skater does the trick, lands and it then pauses and it goes in reverse, he does the trick backwards. It then pauses again and it shows it in slow motion. So basically, I'm wondering how you play normal footage backwards. The film "Rules of Attraction used this a LOT. Is there a way to do this with Vegas 4? If so how? thanks
Luke Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 04:49 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Insert a VELOCITY ENVELOPE into the clip you are working on, pull it all the way down to -100% and TADA! Skaters going backwards;-)
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 05:20 AM   #3
Major Player

If you add points to the volicity "line" you can stop the action smoothly, reverse it, hold it, whatever.
Tor Salomonsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 08:04 AM   #4
Wrangler

The one thing about velocity envelopes I don't quite understand is if you insert a velocity envelope and speed the footage up- shouldn't the clip get shorter, and vice versa if you slow the clip down- making the clip longer. I'm assuming if it maintains it's size (length) on the timeline the clip will repeat or hold the last frame depending on which you choose in preferences. How would you work with varing settings with the velocity envelope accuratly? I'd get lost as to where I'm at in the clip and the actuall length etc. Does anyone understand what I'm trying to say?
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 08:37 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Sonic Foundry has apparently found a way to access the space/time continuum. I don't get it, either...
Old July 17th, 2003, 08:46 AM   #6
Major Player

The events on the timeline are only "representations" of the original footage. If you speed it up, it will simply fill in with extra frames from the original until its lenghts and speed matches. If the origninal does not have the extra length, the event on the timeline will loop as you increase the speed. You will then see a small triangle at the event, marking the point in time where the original has played out its length and the loop begins.
Old July 17th, 2003, 08:56 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm having trouble here....I add an envelope, and yes it puts the clip in reverse. It works great. Only problem is when i try to cut or split, I have tried both, it doesn't cut the clip where i want to. It always goes back to like the beginning of the clip or something. Even when I split the frame before I add the envelope it still adds time on to the clip and it is never in the spot i want it to be. Hope you can understand my problem. thanks.....
Old July 17th, 2003, 09:31 AM   #8
Major Player

You want to reverse it, -100%? OK, it will play from the end to the beginning, but it will start where the beginning is, and reverse into whatever lies AHEAD of that - if anything. If there is nothing, it will loop. Therefore you must move your event so the end of it sits where you want the reversed event to start play, and drag its length out to fill the gap. Do this with track layers expanded, and it becomes very graphical and easy to grasp.
(This is for events that you want to reverse in full. )
Old July 17th, 2003, 10:09 AM   #9
Regular Crew

ok...I did exactly that. I just tried it again and it still doesn't work. To be exact this is what I did...took a short clip, copied and pasted so it was the SAME EXACT thing. Added an envelope, set to negative 100. It automatically takes that clip and jumps ahead to part of the clip that wasn't on it. Its not simply reversing the clip. Whats up with it? sorry for the hassle, but i would like to get this to work. thanks
Old July 17th, 2003, 10:32 AM   #10
Major Player

Did you read carefully what I said?
Ok, here's another attempt:
Your event is normally playing A to B. You want it to play B to A. It is postioned on the timeline between point 1 and 2, so A and 1 are the same.
You do the envelope thing and pull it down to -100%. Press the little icon at the far left of the track header, the one that says Expand track layers. With you mouse, pull the entire event so that B is at point 1. Expand the event (by pulling at the edge of it) until it refills the gap left by your moving it. You now have an event twice as long. So you pull at the left edge of it towards right, until it has its original length again. The part that is on your timeline now is actually B to C, but it will play from B to A anyway.

Go on and try this, it get easier when you see what's happening.
Old July 17th, 2003, 10:39 AM   #11
Wrangler

*head spinning*

Umm ahhh.....ah yeah- what he said.

It's proabably much easier to "see" it done rather than in written form.

Tor should release some of his own training DVDs- lol.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 11:31 AM   #12
Regular Crew

ok...I got it. I didn't know how to expand the track layers and that was my prob. I guess you may just take for granted the things you allready know about this software...that "newbies" like myself don't know. Thanks for the help and putting up with me.
Old July 17th, 2003, 12:46 PM   #13
Sponsor: JET DV

Reversing a clip is VERY easy as long as you follow one simple rule: START at the END.

Just play the timeline and then STOP where you want the reversing to begin (i.e. at the END of the clip in forward motion). Now press "S" to split this clip at that point, add the velocity envelope t0 the RIGHT clip (you can delete the left side of the split) and change the velocity to a negative value.

Now for the reason why the size does not change: First of all, how long should a 0% clip be? Infinitely long? Say you have a 30 minute clip and you slow it down to 10% speed. Do you really want the clip to become 5 hours long? What if you have a clip in a 10 second hole that is currently 7 seconds long and you want to change the speed to 50%. Do you want it to extend 4 seconds into the next clip? What if you change to reverse speed, does the clip become a negative length? Plus, since the velocity envelope allows varying the speed as much as desired, how complicated do you think it would be if a clip started at 100%, moved to 0%, moved back to 100%, moved to -100%, then moved to 200%?

Personally, I think they were wise in allowing as many speed changes as desire and then manually adjusting the length to suit the needs. However, if you INSIST on the clip changing length as you change the percentage (and there is only ONE constant speed), the Velocity Wizard in Excalibur will do that for you.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 01:22 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I think jet has mastered the space/time continuum, as well...
Old July 17th, 2003, 01:24 PM   #15
Wrangler

Thus another reason Excalibur is looking more and more appealing to me. It also lets you set the clip speed by percentage, and updates the length of the clip automatically...right?

That's my main concern- say if I have a 10 second clip I want to run at 50% speed, it should in turn be 20 seconds. If I add a velocity envelope and lower it to 50% it'll play at 50% but cut off where the clip would have ended at 100% speed? I need it to automatically stretch the clip to the new size- similar to how it's done in Premiere by right clicking and choosing "Speed". After you enter the percentage # and hit enter, the clip automatically adjusts in size according to you slowing the clip down (longer) or speeding it up (shorter). Does Vegas have a way of doing this by default- or is Excalibur needed for this?
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...