reverse footage with vegas 4 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 17th, 2003, 02:25 PM   #16
Sponsor: JET DV

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : It also lets you set the clip speed by percentage, and updates the length of the clip automatically...right? -->>>

Yes it does

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : That's my main concern- say if I have a 10 second clip I want to run at 50% speed, it should in turn be 20 seconds. If I add a velocity envelope and lower it to 50% it'll play at 50% but cut off where the clip would have ended at 100% speed? I need it to automatically stretch the clip to the new size- similar to how it's done in Premiere by right clicking and choosing "Speed". After you enter the percentage # and hit enter, the clip automatically adjusts in size according to you slowing the clip down (longer) or speeding it up (shorter). Does Vegas have a way of doing this by default- or is Excalibur needed for this? -->>>

Vegas does not change the clip length. I did write the Velocity Wizard in Excalibur to perform this function for you. However, there is a difference between the Velocity Envelope and the way others handle speed changes - the Velocity Envelope allows varying speed at varying places instead of just one constant speed. The Velocity Wizard in Excalibur assumes you want one constant speed and then changes the clip length to match.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 02:40 PM   #17
Wrangler

Yeah I do understand the benefit of using velocity envelopes....as I used to have to splice the clip into at least 4 parts to make a smooth transition from fast to slow motion (if I wanted that effect) changing each section progressivly slower. The only work-around I could find In Premiere to do fast to slow semi-smooth. God I'm glad I'm thru with "work-arounds" and Premiere.....Ummm anyway- back to the point. I understand the benefit of velocity envelopes in that way- and you say that Vegas doesn't have a way to change the speed and update the clip length automatically, by default that is. If this is true, I have no idea how you wrote the script for that one...if it's something that's not readily available to begin with?! Your scripting knowledge is absolutly impressive.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 03:17 PM   #18

As long as the clip is a single speed, calculating the new length is simple. Just take the original length and divide by the percentage change. This calculation is done by the script and then the length of the clip is changed to that new length.

NOTE: Negative percentages are changed to positive when calculating the length.

NOTE 2: Percentages from -5% to 5% do NOT change length in my script. (BTW, how long IS 0%?)
Old July 17th, 2003, 03:41 PM   #19
Wrangler

Hmm is this philosophy, lol- whyyyyy 0% my dear sir, is in fact INFINITY.
Old July 17th, 2003, 07:11 PM   #20
Regular Crew

First of all...Ed the way you explained it made it just about the easiest thing I have EVER done in Vegas Video. Thanks so much, should be a teacher. You told me in one sentence...or maybe I'm just dumb and am JUST now catching on. Anyway...a praise to Vegas. The more I use it the more I learn, with all your help of course. I started playin with color curves, contrast, etc. and I can not believe the possibilities. The picture comes out sooo much better. Thanks to everyone for helping me figure this one out.

one more question, what is excalibur?
Luke Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 08:02 PM   #21
Wrangler

Take a look for yourself: www.vegastrainingandtools.com
Old July 17th, 2003, 09:05 PM   #22

Luke, thanks for the kind words. You may also want to take a look at the Vegas Tips, Tricks, and Scripts Newsletters. I hope to relese #9 early next week which will discuss editing Multi-Cam shoots, changing speed of clips, and scripting of adding tracks.

As for Excalibur, it is a script I wrote with the assistance of Gary Kleiner to help simplify many tasks in Vegas. I'm currently working on a new script that adds even more tools to the Vegas toolset.

NOTE: Excalibur requires Vegas 4.0c. The new tool will actually use a command that is supposed to be added in 4.0d (until 4.0d is released, it will have to just leave that last flag unset).
Old July 18th, 2003, 04:47 AM   #23
Wrangler

4.0D?!......What's new in this update?!
Old July 18th, 2003, 07:52 AM   #24

No particulars have been given yet. A release date has also not been given. However, the ability to set the "Pre/Post" flag in Pan/Crop has supposedly been added. I need this flag for my next script (although it *can* work without it, it will be better WITH it). Doing a search for 4.0d on the SOFO forums gives this information:

http://www.sonicfoundry.com/forums/S...ssageID=195503
http://www.sonicfoundry.com/forums/S...ssageID=191887
http://www.sonicfoundry.com/forums/S...ssageID=190990
http://www.sonicfoundry.com/forums/S...ssageID=197327 <-- the one I need
Old July 18th, 2003, 10:58 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Ok, I have been reading this post to learn how to slow things down in vegas. Not quite as nice as the Speed feature in Adobe but its ok. Anyway, when you slow the clip down to say, 75% or any other speed, how do you get the audio to match up with the clip speed. I can't figure it out. That way if the clip is slow and the guy is sliding down a rail, i want the audio to have that slow motion effect.
David Woodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2003, 11:39 AM   #26
Wrangler

You mean you want the pitch to change. You can adjust how your audio is effected by changes in length by right clicking on the audio. You can change pitch without changing lenght, or change length without changing pitch & change length and pitch...which is what I think your looking for.
Old July 18th, 2003, 11:40 AM   #27
Regular Crew

dave...if you just want to SLOW your clip down for say a handrail...you don't need a velocity envelope. Just press Ctrl while clicking and dragging the event. You can either slow it down or speed it up.
Luke Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2003, 11:55 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Coolness :) Thank you
David Woodland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...