Please help me decide..... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 16th, 2003, 09:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Location: Augusta georgia 15min. from Aiken S.Carolina and 2 hours from Atlanta
Please help me decide.....

sorry for the double post, but i'm getting no help in the xl1 forum. i have not any experience with the cameras, i just want to know which one of these deals are going to give me a huge bang for my bucks. please help.

i have a chance at an xl1 and a gl2 both with extras, i won the xl1 for $1775.00 and i'm being offered the gl2 for $1400.00 both comes with extras check em out and let me know which is a better deal. i'm planning on shooting music videos, and maybe weddings. i know i mainly want to shoot music videos, with chroma keying and low light capabilities. btw, i'm looking for something that can produce nice colors and not blown out over exposed looking colors if that makes any sence.

i already won the xl1, but the guy with the gl2 would still sell it to me for $1400.00 because he was supposed to have a buy it now on there and i was sending him e-mails about it, but he was out of town. i know that it may not be auction eticate, but if the gl2 in all of it's splender is the way to go over the xl1, i would contact the person i beat out on the auction along with the guy who is selling the xl1 and see if it's okay if the other guy gets it. i would in return pay for his shipping.

GL2

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2971623610&category=20330&rd=1

XL1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2971105653&category=20330&rd=1
Patrick Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 10:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I would go with the GL2 over the XL1, if it was a XL1s that would be a diffrent story.

www.jcmediaservices.com
www.kickbacktracks.com
Royalty Free Video Production Loops!
Jason Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 11:05 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks

hey, thanks. i know there are experienced users on here who have used both. i am new to dv myself. i purchased a new jvc grdv3000 that was marked down from $1900.00 to $900.00 it was a piece of crap so i brought it back to sam's club. i read a lot of reviews over the xl1s and gl2, but i wanted to know including the extras with these cameras, which one would give me more bang for the buck. thank you for your responce, now i'm considering the gl2, but i have to make my mind up quick.
Old December 16th, 2003, 11:22 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

One of the reasons why you're not getting any response is that both of these cameras are excellent tools.

Since I get the impression that your real needs are somewhat prospective and hypothetical and you are just beginning to work with video cameras I would recommend the GL2. It will be a bit easier for you to handle and learn. Since you do not need the XL1's interchangeable lens system I think you'll find the GL2 a better fit for you at this time.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 01:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

good point

thanks, and in anyones opinion is the extra stuff that's coming with the gl2 really making it a better option over the xl1 and it's extras, or those extras with the gl2 are crap and it's the gl2 alone at $1400.00 that's making it a good deal? i know that as i become to understand more about mini dv and filming that i will look back at these questions of mine and laugh.
Old December 16th, 2003, 02:00 PM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The case is adequate for basic transit around town but it's not terribly sturdy and is not completely waterproof. (I have one just like it that I purchased as my first case, too.) It's hard to comment on the the "accessories", as I cannot even tell what some of them are. But it looks like this fellow may have been nailed by a Brooklyn come-on low-ball shop to effectively pay a rediculous price for what amounts to junky add-ons. The filter 'kits' and wide adapter may not be so great. But perhaps they'll tide you over for your immediate needs.

Have fun!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 07:55 AM   #7
Regular Crew

thanks everyone

thanks, i appreciate the feedback. after consideration and help from your replies and the replies from others i'm going to go with the xl1. i'm just starting out, and i think the xl1 will give me the edge in the local market with a (pro) look. with the helpfull advice from all of you, i have taken note that both of these cameras are great, as stated above by Ken Tenaka. hopefully i can make some money with this xl1 and get either a gl2 or pd150 with the profits.

cheers.
Patrick Falls is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders