Lost 2x tele lens. Bishop Ca. area 12/13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 15th, 2003, 01:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Lost 2x tele lens. Bishop Ca. area 12/13

Lost 2x tele lens. Bishop Ca. area 12/13

The lens is a black Century Precision Optics DS-20TC-58 2.0x Tele-Converter lens, 58mm thread for a GL-2. There's a reward if anyone turns it up.

Thanks
Jesse James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 02:25 AM   #2
Old Boot

Jesse - Ouch! Sorry about that . . I just sourced a price for it here in London UK - wow . . 400gbp . . . a real bummer.

Tell me, does/did it work well? Did it work through the whole zoom range? I've tried a number of these and I noticed that it was only at about halfway tele zoom did the "tunnel" effect vanish. What's the quality like? Over here there are "bayonet" options. I'm presuming this is to allow one to quick release them on and off - yeah?

Again, my commiserations for your potential loss,

Best regards,

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 04:01 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hello Graham,

I'm still wincing from the pain, I thought I had learnd my lesson about putting gear on my truck hood or roof but I guess not.

The lens worked fine except for the first half of the zoom where it vignettes as you pointed out. I was filming wildlife at long distances (about 75 to 200 yards) and it really helped fill the frame. I was able to creep in close sometimes and in some places I had to respect a property boundary and stay further out. This lens is a screw on version but I remember B&H asking me if I wanted a bayonet.

I just received this GL-2 so this was a learning trip mostly. The cam and lens worked good in the cold and snow without the Porta Brace heater cover which arrived today. Temp got down to 30 degrees F with a sharp wind of about 10 to 20 MHP. I would only film for 15 minutes and then pull the cam back into the truck. I was't sure what would happen if it got too cold. I'm guessing it would be like a 35mm camera where the tape/film drive would get hinky and shut down or brake the tape. I know them LCDs go bonkers too in cold temps.

I did notice it was hard to freehand shoot with the tele zoomed way out. Maybe it was my learning the new cam but I couldn't keep it real steady on long shots. On the tripod it was much better but even then the gusting wind made the filming a chore to keep it rock steady. Using my truck as a wind shield really helped. I didn't have my pop up blind with me but that would help with the wind problem also.

I was using the tele zoom with a ZOE Pro LANC and I have to say that thmb zoom rocker is the cat's pajamas. To quote the hillbilly in the Dodge hemi commercial, "SWEET"

Jesse James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 12:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Jesse I have not had a chance to use my new GL2 in the cold yet. Well maybe 35-38F already. I have an old Sony that worked great in the cold. 8mm tho. My son just used it this weekend here in Missouri on a Crow hunt, temp. was about 28F. I hope the NEW GL2 works in the cold as I get a lot of good footage of wildlife in the winter/snow!
Steve Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 03:30 PM   #5
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Jesse James : Hello Graham,

I did notice it was hard to freehand shoot with the tele zoomed way out. Maybe it was my learning the new cam but I couldn't keep it real steady on long shots. On the tripod it was much better but even then the gusting wind made the filming a chore to keep it rock steady. Using my truck as a wind shield really helped. I didn't have my pop up blind with me but that would help with the wind problem also.

Jesse,

After more than a year I'd have to say that if you anticipate going full tele then stick it on a tripod. No matter how I braced myself I have not been happy with the final product. Identifiable, yes, but the movement was not acceptable. Maybe a shoulder-mount would help for those times a tripod isn't feasible.

For wind you don't have many choices except to add weight. This could be a heavier tripod or add weight to the tripod you have (see thread under optical stabilization for more info). It also helps to keep the camera as low to the ground as possible - rarely possible with wildlife photography.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders