need advice on xl1 or gl2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 16th, 2003, 11:22 PM   #1
Major Player

need advice on xl1 or gl2

hi,

i have a new gl2. i have the oportunity to trade it for a hardly used (under 15 hours) XL1 with extras. does anyone think it is a fair trade. what would i gain and what would i lose. i know that the xl1 is older model but is the image just as good as the xl1s or the gl2? i know that the xl1 is alot more hevy than the gl2 but i dont really care about the weight difference.

please help

joel
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 11:43 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Stick with the GL2. If it was a trade for an XL1s, and you really needed the benefits of that platform my opinion would be different.

Joel, please take the following suggestion in the contructive manner in which I offer it. It's my impression, admittedly from afar and only from your posts, that you've spent a tremendous amount of energy worrying about whether or not you have the "right" camera. Consider refocusing from trading, selling or bartering the GL2 and devote your energy to learning how to use the camera well. Back away from video boards (like this one) for a while, which can sometimes fuel this consumerist uncertainty. Just start shooting and reviewing your shots. The GL2 is an excellent camera. I guarantee you will find such experience far more rewarding.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 12:26 AM   #3
Major Player

ken,

thanks for your input. ya i am concerned about my purchase of the gl2. and your right i do indeed need to learn how to shoot it. i just sometimes feel that the gl2's picture quality is sub par compared to the xl1(s). i feel i should have forked out the extra "G" for the xl1(s).
Old December 17th, 2003, 12:51 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

<<<-- Originally posted by Joel Corral : i just sometimes feel that the gl2's picture quality is sub par compared to the xl1(s). -->>>

As an owner of both cameras, and former owner of an XL1, I can assure you that you're primarily mistaken. Lensing options aside, the skills of the photographer make far, far more difference than the model of camera in the end product. Unconvinced? Watch some of our Lady X Films episodes (without first looking at the cameras the producers used) as an example.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 09:38 PM   #5
Major Player

ok,

thanks ill do that. and get back to you. thanks again.
Old December 18th, 2003, 04:48 PM   #6
Major Player

wow,

i guess i'd better stick with the gl2 then. i saw the lady x films and the gl2 was just as good as any other camera used to shoot those indi. although those films arent in full res. but i think i get the point here.

thanks
Old December 18th, 2003, 06:27 PM   #7
Wrangler

Joel, spend the $1000 you saved by not buying an XL1s on a light kit. No one will care what you shoot on.
Old December 18th, 2003, 07:08 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I took both to africa

I took both an Xl1s and a Gl2 to shoot in Africa, and i found myself using the Gl2 alot more for wildlife because it had that little extra push that I need. It was all a little more portable which made me happy.

That being said, I lugged both to the top of Kilimanjaro, and used the Xl1s most of the time with the 3x lens. The lens options make the Xl1 better, but do you really need it?

mds

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog