how can I know if my XL1S gives a good quality of image ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 17th, 2003, 06:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

how can I know if my XL1S gives a good quality of image ?

Hi
Correct me if i'm wrong ,but, when my XL1S is on wide-open the image is not very beautiful, on the other hand when I zoom on an object the image seems to embellish itself !

I speak to you about that because I will buy a mini35 soon and the technology of the mini35 will require that XL1S be always in open wide !
Then ,if I must adjust my Xl1s in wide open all the time with not the best picture i seen what will happen when i get the mini35?
The question are : In wide-open with the XL1S do you have a correct quality of image or not !
Or maybe i have a problem with my Xl1S ?

excuse my english
Daniel Limoges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 10:15 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

All DV is soft at full-wide angle. Also it depends on your monitor, what you're using to look at the video. Even when set on full-automatic, the XL1S will deliver a broadcast quality image.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 10:21 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Daniel,
I am not completely confident that I understand your question(s), so forgive me if I misfire here. But it's nearly impossible for anyone to comment on images they cannot see, or on your perception of those images.

Lenses in general do not deliver the best imaging when their iris is wide open. Most do best when stopped down 1 or 2 clicks.

Please review our Mini 35 forum for specific information on this device. But it is my understanding that you would not be shooting wide-open with this device. I believe there is an iris in the adapter.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 03:58 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Also Daniel,

I'm a little confused by what you mean when you say "wide-open." If you mean a fully open aperture, then as Ken pointed out above, that is not the best f/stop for a camcorder. The "sweet spot" for just about any lens will be around f/5.6, give or take a stop or two.

If you mean a full-wide angle of view, zoomed out all the way wide, then as I pointed out above, in general terms just about all DV camcorders yield fairly soft images at this focal length. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 04:16 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I do believe he was confused between full-wide angle of view, and fully-open exposure.

The Mini35 requires the exposure to be fully-open but when you get the Mini35, you can only zoom in with whatever 35mm lense you are using. As in, if you don't have a zoom lense, you can't zoom.

The focal length of the lense will determine the quality of the image, however with the Mini35 that's really no worry because the quality is amazing.
Kevin Maistros is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog