Panasonic GS70 Vs. SONY PC330 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old February 13th, 2004, 03:00 PM   #1
Go Cycle

Panasonic GS70 Vs. SONY PC330

Anyone ever comapre these two consumer cameras?
Old February 13th, 2004, 05:37 PM   #2
Outer Circle

I only have played with the GS70, but based on what I've read, the PC330 is a stripped down PC300, and that the GS70 produces very good quality video which doesn't need huge lux requirements as the PC300/PC330. I've read Allan's posts here about the PC300, and he meantioned very high lux requirements and smearing.

Perhaps Allan can give you his thoughts on both cams, but you should also search some of the old threads/posts on this forum (MX forum). I'm sure that Tommy also has something to say about these cams.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2004, 08:36 PM   #3
Wrangler

Here are reviews of each:

http://www.dvspot.com/features/

Odd that you would compare these two cams considering the vast price difference.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2004, 08:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I havent used both, but I do own a GS70. Personally I think it's a very underrated camera. it's not the best in low light, but it does well overall.
The reason I think most prosumers snub it is because it is so affordable (understandable).
The reason why most consumers don't care is that they aren't even aware of the difference between one and three chips, that and the price group has a bunch of other cameras that look the same.
Still, I'm going to upgrade to something better.
I don't think the GS70 could compete with a vx2100, but it definitely is the best sub1000 buck camcorder around.
Tom Kronberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2004, 08:54 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
but it definitely is the best sub1000 buck camcorder around.
Er, the DV953 is now sub $1k and I think it is a little better than the GS70. MHO.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2004, 09:05 PM   #6
Outer Circle

Thanks for posting that link. It contains a lot of good cam reviews.
Old February 14th, 2004, 08:36 AM   #7
Major Player

If those were the only 2 choices and money is not an object, I would choose the PC300K because of better overall image quality. In my observation, the image quality of the PC300 at its default setting is very clear and clean, not to mention distinctively smoother compared to cams like the GS100 and Optura Xi. If you want to tweak the image quality, manual sharpness and brightness controls are available. Unfortunately, shutter speed adjustment is controlled by the selected program AE.

The PC300 employs a much superior 16:9 technology, and is capable of progressive recording.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2004, 08:41 AM   #8
Major Player

I think the 953 is a LOT better than the GS70. The GS70 is just one of the possible settings of the 953. The Jap version is less than $850 now.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2004, 11:07 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
...and is capable of progressive recording
Progressive scan or Progressive Photoshot?
Old February 14th, 2004, 11:18 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I don't understand why everyone says the GS70 is SO much inferior to the DV-953? From looking at the pics produced from these cameras, they are about the same. Also, the GS70 has considerablely less grain in low-light conditions.

Yes, the DV-953 has OIS, Progressive Scan, HQ 16:9. However, it is ~30% more expensive.

Even more shocking is according to these Russian reviews, the GS70 may produce even better footage than the DV-953:

Review between GS70, MX5000, TRV-950
http://www.videozona.net/camera/3ccd/3ccd.htm

And for the original poster, here is a comparison between the MX5000, Optura Xi, and DCR-PC330
http://www.videozona.net/camera/capaso/index.htm

I'm interested to see individual reactions to this review and even a_haru's site, which shows similar results.

However, another Japanese review site indicates that the MX5000 or DV-953 is superior to the GS70 and the pics prove that:
http://www.sbpnet.jp/vwalker/series/...sp?newsid=5436

-Johann
Johann Adler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2004, 01:10 PM   #11
Wrangler

Johann,

I'm guessing you've never used a GS70? The dvspot review I linked to above coincides with my thoughts on the GS70's practically useless image stabilzation. Maybe the GS70 is too small for OIS or perhaps its Panasonic did not want to cut into DV953 sales. Either way I've seen plenty of non-OIS cams perform better where image stabilization is concerned.

I think the $300 difference between the DV953 and GS70 is well justified for what you get. The only benefit I see of the GS70 over the DV953 is SLIGHTLY better low light and the smaller size. There is a noticeable difference in low light but both are weak ovearll low light performers and you'll need to illuminate your surroundings with either one.

BTW - The DV953 lacks progressive scan as you've mentioned but it does have frame mode. I'll add to your list of differences in the DV953 from the GS70. The DV953 has manual audio, manual sharpness and color, zebra stripes, and a color bar.
Old February 14th, 2004, 01:25 PM   #12
Go Cycle

What about an actual comparision of both cameras.

Which outshines the other as it relates to actual picture quality not features?

Thanks
Old February 14th, 2004, 01:25 PM   #13
Outer Circle

Johann, I'd stick with the http://www.dvspot.com/reviews
Quote:
Even more shocking is according to these Russian reviews, the GS70 may produce even better footage than the DV-953
Yes, that's shocking, and so are some of the reviews done from one well-known Czecho "shill" using a number of names. :-))
Quote:
actual picture quality
You mean stills, then? The PC300/330---but not nearly as good as my SLR, depending on the film I use, and on how far I "push" it.
Old February 14th, 2004, 02:08 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I hardly use my GS70, but the EIS is really not that bad unless at zoom. I use a tripod anyway so it doesn't matter to me.
Anyway like I said, the 70 is a homeless cam, partially because pros resent the price and home users don't care.
Either way, Panasonic deserves credit for providng a value 3 chip cam, even if noone cares. I'm not using it much longer because I'm moving on, but it did the job.
Tom Kronberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2004, 06:27 PM   #15
Major Player

According to the Jap link than Johann posted, the GS70 got a perfect score of 10 in terms of image stabilizer.

Although I won't rate it as perfect, I share the same opinion that GS70's image stabilizer is not a big problem at all as long as you know what to expect of EIS/DIS compared to OIS (not effective during zooming, can become ineffective when lighting is insufficient).

By comparing pics and frames posted in the net, differences in video quality among consumer cams become less apparent, in many cases too minimal, that you just have to rely on whatever comments the reviewer wrote. Point an MX5000 and GS70 at the same time at the same subject, set the cams as similar as you can possibly do, connect them to the same monitor using a video switcher, switch between 2 cams back and forth, then discrepancy in terms of color, clarity, sharpness, wideness, and brightness are readily visible. But most of us won't have the chance to actually play with cams side by side, so if you are satisfied with the video quality of a particular cam based on what you see and available info, then so be it. I think for most consumers, the content of the video, and the fact the you've captured a moment, will get more attention instead of whether the image is crystal clear or not.

The GS70 was well received by the Jap mainstream market. The fact that it is being replaced after nearly a year in the fickle Jap market proves to that.

Tommy, that's progressive recording under video mode (30P). It does exhibit the jerky pan look and somewhat brighter image.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant