What's up with the GS100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old February 15th, 2004, 10:13 AM   #1
New Boot

What's up with the GS100?

OK, I made the big decision to get a GS100, now all I need is for my finances to cooperate with me. I've been regularly following this forum and usually take a daily look at PriceJapan. So imagine my surprise when a couple days ago where PJ usually has some text about the black GS100 being $20 more expensive, it now says last 5 models left?!?! Has the GS100 already been discontinued? I don't like what I'm reading about the GS200 as a replacement! Do I need to move on a GS100 ASAP? I was hoping for some overlap on both models being available and ideally a price drop on the 100's when the 200's hit the streets. What gives???
Chad Kappeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 12:16 PM   #2
Major Player

Allan noted in a prevous post that he had been told by one of the stores in Japan that production was being discontinued - whether permanently or not, he did not know. as noted by others, the 200 seems more like a relative of the gs70 than of the 100, so...
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 04:44 PM   #3
Outer Circle

Chad, Pana usually replace their consumer cams once a year. The GS100 came out June or July 1st of 2003. Why don't you contact Allan to see what he can find for you. Whether the silver GS100 or the black, both are equally as good.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 05:01 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for all the info everyone, I just e-mailed Allan to see what's up on his end. I hope I haven't waited too long to purchase a 100. On the plus side it appears the 100 & 200 share the same Panasonic accessories (please correct me if I am wrong). So if I can still get a 100, at least I won't have to worry about accessories.
Chad Kappeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 07:11 PM   #5
Major Player

If you prefer the silver, you should be able to get at least one easily (and probably cheaper- it all depends on the foreign exchange rate now) even if you wait for a month or 2 or even 3. Delivery may not be as fast as we have done it up to now (as fast as 2 days but not later than 5 days), but that's no big issue as long as you plan properly (as regards when you actually want to start shooting with the cam).

Yen price of this cam has dropped nearly JPY20,000 since August 2003 but the strong Yen has kept the US$ equivalent price at nearly the same level. Early buyers are very lucky indeed!

But if you want the black mamba, I suggest you get it soonest whether from PJ or me or the Chuckmeister.

The GS100 shares the same battery as the GS70 which is readily available at a cheaper price in the US, through E-bay or through sabahoceanic.com. 43mm filters and lens attachments should be available in the US as well.

If you need the waist-type battery, Pany's hot shoe mic exclusive to the GS100, snow and rain cover and the underwater housing, these items are available only in Japan, but they are not critical (and can always be ordered from Pany Japan if not available in retailers). Again if you want the black mamba, better not wait too long.

Pany Japan has indeed stopped regular production of this cam. Of course, once in a while (for the next few months or so), limited stocks can appear here and there. Big question is whether those limited stocks will be offered at the right price (the kakaku price, that is). Huge retailers which still have many units on stock (mostly silver) have kept their prices at around JPY125,000, so the best deal in town are still those small wholesalers listed in kakaku.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant