XL1S discontinued?! Guess why... ;) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old June 4th, 2004, 04:43 PM   #1
Major Player

XL1S discontinued?! Guess why... ;)

Hey guys, I was checking out my local Gluskin's camera store to look at the cameras there. It had been awhile since I last went there, like last year. I saw that they had the JVC HD1 camera, I was hoping to check out the HD10U unfortunately, so I looked over to the usual spot where they had the XL1S on display. Guess what. No XL1S. (No GL2 for that matter...)

I asked the camera guy there, "What, don't carry the XL1S anymore?" He replied, "Nope. Discontinued. Canon is coming out with a new camera next month to replace it." I was shocked, I asked "Is it a big one or a little one?" He replied "Yup, its a big one, just like the XL1S. But Canon hasn't said much, they've been keeping tight lipped about it to everyone. It's supposed to be like twice the camera the XL1S was from what I understand. So, just come back next month and see."

0_0************

Well, I guess that we'll have "something" to look forward to next month, whether it's a new GL or a new XL1S. cough * possible XL2*cough!
Old June 4th, 2004, 04:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Really?

Someone on another board mentioned that B&H had stopped selling the XL1s, and so I called to check out that claim. The guy at B&H that I spoke to said they still had a bunch in stock, and they were still receiving models from Canon. That was just last week.

I'm not saying your info isn't true, I mean a place like B&H moves a ton of merchandise, so it would make sense to stop shipping to smaller retailers first.... hmmmm

interesting tid bit none the less.
Thanks,

-Luis
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2004, 05:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

This isn't definitive --- but, I had been waiting for several months, hoping madly that Canon would finally release their "new version" of the XL1S --- and finally I just couldn't wait any longer. I needed the XL now, not maybe at some undetermined time in the future.

However, back when I bought my GL1, I believe I got it just about a month before Canon released the "new & improved" GL2...

I'm wondering if maybe Canon Inc. has been indefinitely delaying the new XL's release just because they were waiting for me to buy my new XL1S???

<grin>

That $500 rebate was great though... Oh well, so it goes...
Ed Baatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2004, 07:45 PM   #4
Major Player

LOL! ROFL! You and me both Ed! Just shortly after I bought my GL1, *pop* presenting the GL2! Darn Canon on that one =D. But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if B&H isn't having the same issue, you know, being told to hold the XL1S's for big sales after the XL2 comes out. Sneaky sneaky! =D
Old June 5th, 2004, 03:02 AM   #5
Regular Crew

if you need a canon xl1s i know you can buy 1 from ebay at a good price

Good Luck.
Gavin Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2004, 10:30 AM   #6
Wrangler

It really doesn't make any sense for a major camera manufacturer to surprise their market with a new flagship product out of the blue. Where's the hype? The trade show prototypes? You'll see those before you see your camera in stores.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2004, 10:59 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Canon does not show prototypes, but they tend to show new cameras at some major trade shows usually about 30 days before they start shipping.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2004, 11:31 AM   #8
Wrangler

I remember seeing 3D lens prototypes at trade shows.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2004, 08:08 PM   #9
Warden

That lens was kind of an exception. Canon was trying to drum up interest in the lens.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2004, 08:14 PM   #10
Major Player

Well guys, that's just what the guy said. I know it sounds a bit fishy, I'm personally thinking he may be thinking a new ZR camera or something, but he seemed to know his $tuff now that I think about it, a whole lot more than the old guy who used to work there a year ago =D, so we'll have to see. =/ You would think they would have said something at NAB, but wait a sec, is there any big or at least moderately significant video conventions during late June or early July?
Old June 5th, 2004, 08:54 PM   #11
Regular Crew

http://www.dvexpo.com/east/

July 14-16

Canon is one of the three main sponsors

Maybe a clue, maybe not :)
Jed Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2004, 09:00 PM   #12
Regular Crew

That is just two weeks after the latest $500 rebate expires too...

Wow, what a bummer... Now my XL1S will be half as good as it was when I bought it three weeks ago... <g>
Ed Baatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2004, 11:12 PM   #13
Major Player

As far as the 'where is the hype' question...Chris is right. Canon has never done a lot of "prehyping." Now, as for the customers... i'm a bit surprised we aren't seeing more hype given that we are now getting reports of the XL1s being discontinued, and the rebate ending in less than a month with trade show coming up two weeks later that Canon is sponsoring.

Add that in with the fact that the GL1, GL2, and XL1s were all released in July, and that Canon has updated their cameras roughly every 3 years. The XL1s will be 3 years old in July.

All the clues are there, and seem to obvious that they should not even be refered to as clues, they are road signs.

The XL2 (or whatever it will be called) will be announced next month.....

...so how come there doesn't seem to be much excitement here?

-Luis
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2004, 02:46 AM   #14

Hey, we're excited, we're excited. Actually, I'm very excited. After this whole "25bit HDV" lameness going on at NAB, I'm extremely curious as to what Canon has in store. Let's face it, XL-1 and xL-1s controlled the market for quite some time, due to it's great features. You never know, we may be looking at 50 Mbps or even 100 Mbps, and with lots of luck 4:2:2? Of course, that's pushing it, but Canon has surprised in very good ways without warning before. Such a camera would completely claim the market with Prosumers. This just may be the goal.
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2004, 02:49 AM   #15
Major Player

Well, there is a thread here with a lot of ffffmmmmmms in it which was pretty exciting for awhile. There's also a statement on another site that the xl2 or whatever will be a 3ccd hd cam. Let the speculation begin.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51