XL1S discontinued?! Guess why... ;) - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old June 24th, 2004, 02:03 PM   #136
Skyonic New York

it;s about options...

<< but it doesn't seem very realistic to expect a $3k camcorder to have big dollar optics.

I've shot with Sony BetaSP equipment and the XL doesn't compare. Nor does the price...>>

i think you are missing the point, i don't expect for canon to give away top glass with an xl1...i just want the option to buy the right lens for me

much like i have the option to spend 10 big ones on a mini 35, i would like option to spend on a nice wide manual...
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2004, 03:52 PM   #137
Wrangler

Here here on a manual wide angle lens.
Especially if it has more zoom than the 3x. Maybe a 5x or 6x with manual controls...

Ooooh yeah....
Old June 24th, 2004, 04:11 PM   #138
Regular Crew

Re: it;s about options...

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert Mann Z. : i just want the option to buy the right lens for me... -->>>

Sure, it would be great if Canon had many more lenses to choose from at various price points... Cheap ones for me and expensive ones for you... [g]

Will Canon's lens selections/options/choices expand? I don't have a clue --- but it would be great if Canon would do that.

For my money, if the "new" XL keeps the same mount (what's wrong with the current mounting system?) I would be much more likely to ADD a "new" body down the road.

If, on the other hand, Canon changes the lens mount just in order to artificially force obsoletion --- I will probably not run out and buy another body... But, I imagine that Canon's Marketing Guru's know what's best for Canon and it probably won't not hinge upon my personal likes or dislikes... :o(

== Ed ==
Ed Baatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:44 AM   #139
Regular Crew

Great if the current lenses are going to be compatible but isn't there a potential issue to overcome in that incorporating them will be a compromise if the new chip is 16:9?
Michael Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2004, 06:01 AM   #140
Wrangler

I've been thinking about this one myself--it depends whether or not the lens engineers designed the XL1 lenses with no "wiggle room" edge to edge. Then there will be the potential for edge softness and/or vignetting if the chip is indeed wider. Certainly my wide angle adaptor will not cut it any more, because it nearly vignettes as it is.

The good news is that the effective focal range of the lens will shift a bit towards the wide-angle side; in other words, the field of view will become wider overall.

I'd been contemplating purchasing a Mini35 but was concerned about the coverage issue. However, the word that I got was that for the current (400 series) version of the system, the absolute worst that would happen would be that a different relay adaptor would be required. Early generations of the Mini35 could potentially be problematic in this regard.
Old June 26th, 2004, 07:09 AM   #141
Regular Crew

Does anyone know or remember how long after the release of the NTSC XL1 or XL1s we had to wait for the PAL version in Europe?

I have a commission coming up that I would really like to shoot 16:9 25p and although I COULD attempt it on my existing XL1s using frame mode, if there was the slightest possibuility of the replacment being available in PAL land before the end of the year (assuming assertions in this thread stand the test of time!), it would be the way to go.
Michael Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2004, 07:29 PM   #142
Major Player

Missing in the "XL2" wish list.

How about having a manual (or switchable auto/manual) iris ring on the lens like the pro shoulder cams? Id sure like to see that. It could be on the body too, near the lens mount. I really hate that crummy little dial for the iris control on most prosumer camcorders.
Frederic Segard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 07:36 AM   #143
Wrangler

Frederic:

The iris ring is not a camera function but a lens function, and is available on the Canon 14x Manual lens made for the XL1 (no longer made but still a bunch floating around out there, a great deal).
Old June 28th, 2004, 09:13 AM   #144
Major Player

Well, on the PD170 and DVX100, iris control in on the camera. But you are saying that there are actual lenses for the XL1s that have iris control on the lens? Why aren't they making the manual one anymore?

In any case, can't wait for the Canon announcement of the "XL2", or whatever it's going to be called. In my case, if the new cam has 24p, true 16x9, and XLR inputs, it's a definite must have.
Old June 28th, 2004, 10:33 AM   #145
Obstreperous Rex

<< But you are saying that there are actual lenses for the XL1s that have iris control on the lens? >>

Yes. See my Guide to XL Lens Options.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 08:19 PM   #146
Regular Crew

Anyone seen this page?

http://www.expandore.com/product/Canon/Canon-XL2.htm

You have to highlight the whole page to see the specs.
Paul Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 08:28 PM   #147
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Jason : Anyone seen this page? -->>>

Yes that has been around for quite awhile now...

If you ignore the poor grammar (which is hard to do) the "secret" info is remarkably lacking in details.

Basically just another internet scam/hoax.
Ed Baatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 08:38 PM   #148
Regular Crew

Kind of thought that might be the case. Thanks for the heads-up.
Paul Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 02:21 PM   #149
Major Player

2-days till July 1st

;-)
Old June 29th, 2004, 03:29 PM   #150
Regular Crew

Frederick,

Is that YOU that's holding your breath ???

<grin>
Ed Baatz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51