Other lenses on XL1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 26th, 2004, 02:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Other lenses on XL1s

I am about to buy an EF adapter and a canon lense, but a thought came across that little brain of mine, and I have to ask this question before I spend my hard earned money. Is the Canon EF adaptor and Canon lenses the only ones you can put on an XL1s. Surely there must be adapters for other makes of lenses or are they too expensive. Sorry if this is a silly question, but its one I do not know the answer to, and would like to know.

Thanks

Andy
Andrew Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2004, 05:05 PM   #2
RED Code Chef

There is also an adapter for 35mm lenses. But that's an expensive thing.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2004, 03:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Optex in the UK manufacture and distribute a range of adapters for the XL series. They have a B4 2/3 Broadcast, a Nikon stills, a Canon FD and an Arriflex mount.

See:

https://secure.xl1s.com/cgi-bin/shop...d=5641435.7434
Michael Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2004, 07:04 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Michael, exactly what I was looking for, you`re a star !!!. Problem is, I now have another question. Are the Nikon lenses better or worse than the Canon lenses ?
Andrew Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2004, 07:21 AM   #5
Regular Crew

My guess is that the Nikon lenses will not hook up electrically with the XL - I think Optex say as much elsewhere. Therefore no control of aperture from XL body as with Canon EF adapter & lenses. Optically I shouldn't think there's anything to choose - don't forget these are 35mm stills lenses designed for the much higher resloving power of film.
Michael Bott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog