Graduated filter to enhance sunset/ shooting silhouttes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 18th, 2004, 03:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Graduated filter to enhance sunset/ shooting silhouttes

I will be shooting a sword fighting scene at the end of July. For one part of it, the fighters are going to be on a hugh knoll with tall grass, fighting silhouetted to the sun. I went and took some test pictures (with my digital camera), and it looks like its going to work great.

Heres my question:

1) I am thinking of using a graduated filter, say an orangeish tint, to make the sunset more colored in case it isnt as colorful as I am hoping it will be. Does anyone have any experience with this? Will this work?

2) Does anyone have any experience shooting silhouettes with the XL1s? What have you found?

Thanks in advance.
Jonathan
Jonathan Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:49 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Anybody?
Jonathan Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 09:07 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Jonathan

Yes, you can shoot with a grad filter. You will need a matt box to hold it. Depending on the actual exposure, you might need to dial in some ND as well.

Good luck
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 11:39 AM   #4
Major Player

I shoot silhouettes with the XL-1s all the time and find the results lovely. It's an effective and powerful break from the usual video fare. But why are you asking? Just backlight your subject and dial down the aperture and you can shoot silhouettes with any camcorder. Be careful using a grad filter shooting a scene with a lot of panning or tilting (as in your fencers moving all up and down the hill) because at times the division in the filter may become noticable.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 02:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Why not just goose the saturation in post if you want more color in the sunset? If the swordsmen are really silhouette they should stay neutral or you could mask them out and only apply the adjustment to the background.
A.J.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 02:07 PM   #6
Trustee

Tiffen makes a sunset grad, that comes in levels of 1,2 and 3 I would say that would be your best bet. Just don't move the camera.
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2004, 11:19 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies guys.

I didnt realize it wasnt a good idea to move the camera with filter--that wont work for me. I guess I'll do it in post. Other than that I was just wondering if anyone had found any interesting results.
Jonathan Stanley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog