? about XL and 35mm film lenses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 28th, 2004, 09:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

? about XL and 35mm film lenses

I've got a question about modding the XL1 with film lenses (like they did in 28 days later). The budget for that movie was around eight million, so I doubt it's a good indicator of how the picture will turn out with a similar approach on a 100,000 dollar film. Has anyone here shot with the XL1 and film glass? If so, let me know what you think. Also, I'm not a DP or anything, but I've heard digital video needs more light than shooting on film...anyone know anything about this?

Also, if anyone has experience trying to sell a digital feature all advice is welcome. I'm assuming it's much harder to sell than shooting 35mm, but then again, it's all hard to sell.

Finally, if anyone here has any experience in the production and or sales of a digital feature that may be of use, please let me know. Thanks,

Rick
Rick Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #2
RED Code Chef

28 days threads on this forum:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=6445
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=11898
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=11412

Most people that shoot with "film" (35mm) lenses will probably
either rent or buy the mini35 adapter to allow a more cinematic
feel and DOF. There are some people here on the boards who
have used the adapter.

See also this thread.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 05:00 PM   #3
Wrangler

The threads that Rob thoughtfully linked to will no doubt point out that "28 Days Later" was shot with prime lenses built for HD cameras, not film cameras. But that distinction is quickly blurring anyway.

As far as needing more light to shoot digitally, it depends. Film technology has improved to where some films are being shot entirely on high speed film stock that is more sensitive than digital cameras, however it is possible to boost the gain on digital cameras to meet that sensibility. Of course the picture quality will correspondingly suffer, but then again it's not as good to begin with.

I would say that digital video requires at least the same amount of lighting and probably more attention than film, particular in exterior shooting conditions. It's certainly possible to shoot video in available light, but it's less likely to look "cinematic". A skilled DP can sometimes pull this off.

The XL1s and Mini35 adaptor with cine lenses is a great look. The XL2 with the same front end is likely to be far greater. We'll have to see...! Here's some rumination on this setup.
Old June 29th, 2004, 02:04 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

Thanks for adding the link to the article Charles. That's one I
forgot about. Whoops.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 09:00 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I really appreciate it.
Rick Step is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog