New VL-3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 16th, 2004, 05:09 PM   #1
Major Player

New VL-3

Ok so i ordered a new VL-3 canon light for my camera from B&H and will be filming a wedding reception in fairly low light. Would anyone here have any experience using this light @ wedding receptions? would it be enough perhaps? thanks in advance :)
Vishal Gurung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 05:14 PM   #2
Major Player

Vishal,

It will work well for the typical low light reception IF you're within about 3-4 ft of your subject. Used it that way myself with good results. I've found that it's a little easier on the subjects eyes and less obnoxious to others in the vicinity than most other lights. Especially nice that it's on the cam and powered by the cam batt.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 05:25 PM   #3
Major Player

Phew rob, thanx much. i kinda figured that and i convinced my partner it was enough but i just wanted to confirm it. I do like that it's a less obnoxious on ppl's eyes and esp if it's a dance floor, no one wants a strong light in their face. Appreciate your prompt response. cheers!
Old July 17th, 2004, 01:40 AM   #4
Old Boot

It is only 3watt . . . .

It is ONLY for very very close work . .You will not be able to light from one side of the table to the other! It is only 3 watt. You wont be able to film the couple dancing their first dance use the Vl3 unless you embarrassingly follow them from 3' away!

Worst purchase I made and left feeling out on a limb? The Canon Vl3 . . If you are only interested in very close work .. not wanting full figure shots . .the Vl3 will do it .. oh yes, as you know it takes its power from the on board battery too! Positive features? Its got the auto switch off and level needed auto .. . I found I left it on all the time while in low light .. oh yes before I forget . . you will also get that "pooling" of light effect that will show viewers that they are being lit with a tiny light . . .

IMHO The Canon VL3 is a piece of kit that puts the "con-sumer" into the XM2 being classified as a "pro-sumer" camera . .

Will I use it in the future . .yeah . .I guess I will .. when my 20watt PAGlight C6 falters!

.. oh yeah it takes up space in my bag too! .. not a lot . .but then it is only 3 watt .. Can you replace the bulb? Good question Grazie . . . .

Maybe I'm being to hard on it? . . .errrr . . . . no! Best thing about it? It is better than nothing and as you also point out it is less obnoxious on people's eyes. Well, who is paying for this gig? What is better people - not a lot will - squinting as a result of a 20 watt OR images that your client can't see? . .- BUT seriously please understand its limitations and don't over estimate its power.. . . I did and I suffered for it . . .

Last resort if you film and the levels ARE too low, speak with the Bride and the organisers to have the house lights switched back on .. last resort here . . but if it makes for a video you do it!

. .please remember, I'm only passing on my experience . . I don't want you to fail .. .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 01:55 AM   #5
Old Boot

You know it is a LOW light venue . . .

Having re-read your original post "will be filming a wedding reception in fairly low light" - get some lighting! . . The XM2 is not as good as a Sony in these conditions. Getting a PAG will make your cammie JUMP up! Are you doing this gig for money? Will the client be happy with gloomy pics? Are you going to be able to shot the whole thing within 3 or 4 feet? Do you have enough battery power to do the event using the VL3 all the time on?

Vishal, are you thinking of making money from your XM2? You are getting a portfolio of work together . . the CV starts NOW!

Look please take these comments in a way that I'm NOT wanting you to fail .. your comment about "convincing" yourself is very dangerous . . I've done this and have failed .. . lighting IS everything in these wedding circumstances .. .

Yer wanna link to the PAG? I'll give it . . or you can do a search hereabouts

Best regards,

Grazie
Old July 17th, 2004, 02:06 AM   #6
Old Boot

NEW VL3?

What's new about it? . . .

Grazie
Old July 17th, 2004, 02:09 AM   #7
Major Player

PAG

Just received the PAG C6 this week Grazie and can't wait to get out and use it. Chinatown, London next Sunday is the first wedding for its use.

The only thing I do not like is the hotshoe fitting, it "cheapens" the product IMHO, the other thing is I have the dm-50 shotgun mic (hotshoe fitting) only so will have to sell that and get an XLR and MA200? Wish I had waited and got the MKE300D or senni66 etc. Ah well I will see how the Cam mic works now if I cannot use the wireless mic.

Money, money, money but you only realise you need this stuff when you get better and better and know you need to improve your game <g>
Old July 17th, 2004, 02:58 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

<< What's new about it? . . . >>

It's new to him.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 03:10 AM   #9
Old Boot

Alan - the hotshoe tiny slivery thingie is not good - it's not good for me. . . I've told the owner of PAG . . he says they're developing an alternative .. developing and alternative? I could have made one within 30 minutes!?! . .. . The PAG is brilliant . . literally! Good price and effective for my purposes .. Anything else would need me making standalone tripod lighting rigs . .. .

Chris . . well hulloo sailor . .. nah, I thought Iwas missing something when he said NEW . . new as in this VL3 is actually better than the one I've got ..

Grazie
Old July 17th, 2004, 09:42 AM   #10
Major Player

totally agree about the silver thingy, I will add my view to Alan Lavender too if I can find his email
Old July 17th, 2004, 11:39 AM   #11
Major Player

Whoa! i got to sleep for a few hrs and all these replies! i feel so honored! hehe. .Thanks Graham for your candid answers, believe you me i'm taking your experience seriously- altho i did have to reread your 'it's PANTS' comment to effectively translate it to Canadian'ese hehe ;) . I'm assuming that means its POS? :)

- Yes i am doing this gig for money
- i've just does a search for the PAG and hot diggidy dang is it EVER expensive. I don't think i can afford one of those :|
- Would anyone be able to suggest an alternative then? The wedding is barely a scant 2 weeks away. An alternative, *read cheaper* solution would be MUCH MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!
Old July 17th, 2004, 11:45 AM   #12
Old Boot

Hire lights?

How much you spending on the VL3? Do a search here for what alternative "budget-wise" systems .. .

Grazie
Old July 17th, 2004, 11:51 AM   #13
Major Player

hmm bought the VL3 from B&H so like $41+ shipping... yeh the budget's already pretty tight as it is unfortunately... i was thinking of renting lights but so far haven't been able to find any onboard cam lights for rent or the lights that ARE for rent are those stand up ones which is pretty useless unless you want to light up the WHOLE place :) so yeh... i'm a little loss for ideas here
Old July 17th, 2004, 11:55 AM   #14
Old Boot

What price you got on the PAG?
Old July 17th, 2004, 11:59 AM   #15
Major Player

from what i see on B&H it's $350 USD.. which equals to about a quadrillion CDN. Actually approx $450CDN... which is about almost $400 too much lol. Oh geez... this is going to require some creative thought. Mebbe rent a stand up light and reflect the light off a light disc? lol yes i know.. that's a dumb idea :|
Vishal Gurung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders