New VL-3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 17th, 2004, 12:07 PM   #16
Old Boot

Look, do some tests with your VL3. See if you like the effectiveness of it . . . what's the job worth? Is it near to the cost of the gig? Well it is a gig that is gonna give you an investment for future work.

As soon as I got my PAG I was home and dry . . PAG just works. It is professional kit for the miniDV guy . . that's me . . And it charges and doesn't deplete OR rely on your cammie power source. My advise - IMHO? Get the PAG . .but do your experiments with the 3 watts first . .if you're happy with it . . . . .

How much you being paid for the Wedding GiG . .don't tell me . . but it is your call . .your monaey and your further reputation you need to think about . . .PAG C6 is for me . .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 12:14 PM   #17
Major Player

hmmm thanks for your great advice Graham. Definitely taken into consideration. Yeh i reckon i'll have to fool around with the VL3. The Pag does seem like a viable option for future weddings. I'm not getting paid much to be honest, after equipment rentals and labour costs i'd be lucky to make a couple hundred quid (to be a little brit) hehe. The Pag unit does look really good, but in terms of wedding reception, wouldn't it be a tad TOO bright for ppl wanting a dark time on the dance floor?
Vishal Gurung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 12:21 PM   #18
Old Boot

"TOO bright for ppl wanting a dark time on the dance floor?" . .yeah . .but then you don't film them! Simple as that! BUT the people who ARE paying for your work want to be seen . . another thing you are being paid, this does give you a lot of licence in getting what your clients want yes?

. . PS . I've "modified" my comment regarding the connection to the hotshoe - might I suggest you do the same in your quote . . thank you.

Grazie
Old July 17th, 2004, 12:25 PM   #19
Major Player

true enough.. uh i didn't realize i was making comments to a hot shoe? but anyways thanks for your advice once again. I've certainly got some decisions to make! :)
Old July 17th, 2004, 12:30 PM   #20
Old Boot

Sorry Vishal - NO not the hot shoe . .you need a shoe connection that will slide into the Hotshoe - a plastic extension then under the PAG light is a silvery sliver connector that tightens INTO this plastic extention .. this is what I was getting at . .

Grazie
Old July 17th, 2004, 12:32 PM   #21
Major Player

ohhhhhhh ok... i think hehe.. man, am i ever coming off green here? geez. alright i gotta run, thanks again for all the advice and taking the time to respend everyone esp Graham. Cheers and have a good one!

Vishal
Old July 17th, 2004, 04:22 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I'm in the same situation. I have a wedding this coming weekend and I'm also concerned about low light at the reception. The couple wants me to get table shots of the guests. I know....that's boring but it's their money. Using the VL3 shouldn't be a problem there since they couple will pose with them. My concern is the first dance and father/daughter dance.

I'm thinking of getting someone to use a spot light on the couple - a la Fred Astair! Hehehe! At least I won't be blinding them and it'll look sorta professional like those tango competitions!
Old July 17th, 2004, 05:18 PM   #23
Old Boot

Do a test. Turn the lights down low. Do some filming. Turn on the VL3. Now in addition turn on your room light ( 100 watt ). If you like it without the 100watt lamp . . then, there you go. If you don't like what you get, then you need more light . . It aint Rocket Science! Maybe you'll get more ambient light, than when you just turned off the 100 watt lamp .. . you may get lucky!

Regarding across tables shots, it will be dependent on the ambient light levels, how BIG the tables are [ how far the reach of the 3 watter just is ] , the reflectivity of the surfaces giving you more illumination .. anything else?

Again, tried and tested circumstances will only tell you how good or bad the end results will be . . .

"Using the VL3 shouldn't be a problem there since they couple will pose with them." and how close will you be to these setups?

The first dance has to be well done .. gloom aint good! I've had the lights turned down and that was it! My XM2 just went on strike! Yeah there was grain when I up the gain . . more than my boss would have liked. He uses Sony's that have excellent low light performance. Luckily I was a number 2 cameraman then and I followed the main man around getting slightly off tangent shots . . . hey you might get away with there being enough "lighting" on the dance floor, being the couple's first dance together . . . and you know just how important that is? Yeah?

I was taught to go Manual Focus. Focus on a point just beyond midway on the dance floor, so that any dancing couple stays in focus, and forcing the cammie not to focus hunt, looking for something to focus in on. Low light really demands a lot of careful manual focussing .. but once "mastered" it is very rewarding . . BETTER yet with more than 3 watts of lighting . . .

Please don't shoot the messenger here!

Grazie
Old July 17th, 2004, 06:15 PM   #24
Major Player

hmm well along with the VL-3 i've ordered another portable smaller 3w light as well.. which doesn't need to be connected to the hot shoe.. that being said, if we need extra light we'll have to resort to using both lights on one subject.. kinda have to use what we have.. and mebbe hope for the best, but you're right i'll have to have it tested out first ..
Old July 17th, 2004, 08:28 PM   #25
Major Player

I have used a Sony 10W/20W switchable light. It runs on the same batteries as the PD-170/VX2100 and last over an hour fully charged.

Works great, when you don't need the full 20W, you can switch it back to 10W.

Just a thought, I picked mine up on ebay for about $80 US.
Old July 18th, 2004, 01:03 AM   #26
Major Player

hmm jeff, what was the producty #/name of that sony light?
Old July 18th, 2004, 06:28 AM   #27
Major Player

The model number is HVL-20DW2

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders