Online XL2 mini35 footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 4th, 2004, 07:16 AM   #1
Trustee

Online XL2 mini35 footage

I plan to shoot some XL2 footage with the mini35 later this week and will definitely post it here for those interested in seeing the results.

I'm hopeful to do something a lilttle more cinematic in style rather than just pointing it out my window at work and saying "here you go everyone".

If anyone has any suggestsions for camera settings or if there's something specific you think I should try please let me know here. For the most part I plan to shoot 16:9 24P 1/48th -3/0dB with maybe some tweaks to the cine settings depending on how they look for the scene(s).
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 09:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Looking forward to it. I'll be posting some footage on triggerstreet.com in about 3 weeks. We just wrapped principal photography last week, and am now trudging through editing, sound, effects, color, score, etc... It's a 10min. short film.

I don't think I'll be able to post it straight here due to festival requirements, but perhaps a trailer or segment would be OK.

Oh... and did I mention, there's a few small sections of steadicam (hollywood lite) camera work by Mr. Charles Papert?

http://www.madmojo.com
Production blog.
Eric MacIver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2004, 01:46 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Dennis,

Personally as for the purpose of showcasing the results of the Mini35 I'd think a good variety of setups would be the most effective. If you could try shooting through the different stages of the day. Morning, mid day, afternoon, evening, magic, and night. Use dolly, still, pan, SteadiCam (If available or other) and as many varying elements as possible I think a most general display would be great.

Maybe we should challenge you with assigning certain subjects? *G*
Holly Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2004, 10:39 AM   #4
Regular Crew

So, how are the tests goin?
Mark Grgurev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 11:23 AM   #5
Trustee

I had to order the $120 upgrade kit to fit my XL2 properly on my mini35, which is currently configured for the XL1s. I hope it arrives soon.....
Old October 13th, 2004, 05:54 PM   #6
Regular Crew

tell us when you get it.

Oh, and when everything is set up, can you take some outdoor shots and one of a person or perhaps a person outside? Indoor shots ar so boring.
Old October 13th, 2004, 10:29 PM   #7
Trustee

I hope to get the part next week, I have to say the guys at ZGC are great at helping out!

I just posted some XL2 footage without the mini35 on this thread if anyone is interested to see it,

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=33417
Old October 14th, 2004, 06:53 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Dennis, regarding the upgrade kit, does it consist of anything more than just a milled 4mm shim? The price sounds about right for that part, given the nature of this industry, but I was just curious.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2004, 07:16 AM   #9
Trustee

The XL2 from the lens mount to the base is about 4mm higher than the XL1/s/e - it means you either get a platform which is 4mm lower, or raise the mini35 optical box by 4mm.

For $120 I thought I'd be getting a new platform, but perhaps you are right Chris and its just a 4mm shim for the optical box?

Time to email ZGC...
Old October 14th, 2004, 08:09 AM   #10
Sponsor: ZGC

Hi Chris and Dennis,

The Min35 upgrade kit for the XL2 consists of the outer part of the platform and a shim with proper screws. The XL1 outer platform could not just be machined down without loosing the part under the fastening screws, so it had to be redesigned. The spring-loaded part of the platform and the knobs from the XL1 kit are re-used. To switch back to the XL1 configuration, you use the provided shim and longer screws.

Changing the height of the of the “optical box” does not preserve the compatibility with the light weight rod system so you would also have to change the height of the mattebox and eventual follow focus system. For us it was important to stay compatible with the Arri SR standard.
Old October 15th, 2004, 06:40 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks for the clarification, Guy! Much appreciated,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2004, 08:41 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Do you knw when the part should arrive?
Old October 17th, 2004, 11:17 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Any TriggerStreet users?

Well, I've got a completed and edited 10-minute short film shot with the Mini35 and XL2 posted to Triggerstreet.com. If you're not already a member, you'll have to join to log-in, but I can assure you, it is well worth it. It's a great site started by Kevin Spacey and some other industry people.

To find it, just go to triggerstreet.com and log-in or join, then in the search box in the upper-right hand corner, type in "Limb from Limb" without the quotes, and click on "Short Films" under the search box to search for short films by that title. The only result should be mine.

I cannot post the full film to a non-member-only location, as some of the festivals we're planning on entering preclude that, however, I may be able to create a password protected website for it sometime soon.

If you can log in to TriggerStreet.com to view it, I'd love to get your reviews for it on TS and/or here (on TS counts towards getting selected for their film festival, which is why I'd like something there as well).

Dennis - Time to see yours now :)

Thanks!

http://www.madmojo.com
Production blog.
Eric MacIver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2004, 11:44 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Eric,

That was very fun to watch. Very nice, but I feel it could have stood a few more angles or cuts in some areas that seemed a bit drawn out in terms of the shot. Did you leave the coloring alone?

I probably would have liked to see it at a larger image size but I can understand that Triggerstreet probably has guidelines.
Holly Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2004, 12:06 PM   #15
Wrangler

Eric:

Nice job!

It was interesting doing "real" work with a Hollywood Lite...but next time I think I'll bring my big rig though!

I like what you did with the color correction.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods