recommend me some stuff. please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 20th, 2004, 05:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

recommend me some stuff. please

Hello.

My XL2 came today, she's a beauty. I think I'll call it Mika. Lighter than I was expecting too.

Anyways with my excitement over (until I begin playing with it) I was hoping you could all recommend me stuff to get next for it. I've seen the top five essentials so they're noted.

I want to look at best tapes to use for it, most popular (yawn I know its been discussed to death) and also some lense protection/filters. Is the battery supplied really good etc?

Actually I think it would be a great idea for someone to start a sticky thread with all this stuff listed, so repeated threads don't occur and annoy everyone.

Thanks for the help so far.

Kev
Kevin Gilvear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 05:30 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

As for my Top Five list that you've read, strike the VL-3 light and replace with the TA-100 tripod adapter. In fact make that the number-one priority on your list! It's a "must have" in my book.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 05:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

actually i need a tripod, a good one but cheap. i really cannot afford a pricey one. this adaptor is just for easy dismounting right? a light would still be useful - top 6? no make a top 10 :D
Old October 20th, 2004, 05:52 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Well you've bought a $5,000 camera and as I've recommended elsewhere on this board, you really should have a $1,500 tripod underneath it. You really don't want to compromise this. Maybe put it on the credit card, heh. But with a "cheap" tripod you're really cheating yourself and it's really going to work against you in a big way. In my opinion you should forget about the top five accessories or top ten or whatever, and instead throw those dollars towards the best tripod you can afford, and the TA-100 tripod adapter. The adapter is a neccessity in my opinion, not so much for ease of use but primarily for stability and safety. You don't want a $5,000 camera hanging from a single little quarter-twenty thread socket. The XL2 is way too heavy for that. In my opinion (geez I'm full of opions huh) Canon should have included that TA-100 adapter with every camera they make, even if it meant bumping the price up another $100.

Sorry about dollars vs. pounds there Kevin, you'll have to do the conversions -- as a Texan I know very little about currency of any sort. Our currency around here is measured in heads (of cattle) and bales (of hay).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 10:47 AM   #5
Regular Crew

It cost me £3,400. I have 9 months to pay the rest. I will think about the tripod. how much is the TA adaptor?
Old October 20th, 2004, 12:06 PM   #6
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Gilvear : It cost me £3,400. I have 9 months to pay the rest. I will think about the tripod. how much is the TA adaptor? -->>>

I got the ta-100 adapter for $149 at BH photo. I thought it was overpriced until I got it. Holy Shnikeys!!! It is a serious bugger! Heavy and solid steel construction. I don't regret it for a second!

Plus if you leave it on tthe bottom of the XL2 it really balances out the weight....but it blocks the shoulder pad so it's a trade off.

I cannot reccomend it enough.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 01:34 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Having had a little play with the camcorder tonight (sans tape) I did notice it becoming considerably heavy. I shall definetly look into purchasing the adaptor and tripod. Might be best if I purchase extra items overseas, they seem to be cheaper unless I'm wrong.

Can anyone recommend me a nice tripod then for this thing?

So being in the UK I need good tapes. Canon do their own right. recommended? Shorter length the better?
Old October 20th, 2004, 01:40 PM   #8
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Gilvear : Having had a little play with the camcorder tonight (sans tape) I did notice it becoming considerably heavy. I shall definetly look into purchasing the adaptor and tripod. Might be best if I purchase extra items overseas, they seem to be cheaper unless I'm wrong.

Can anyone recommend me a nice tripod then for this thing?

So being in the UK I need good tapes. Canon do their own right. recommended? Shorter length the better? -->>>

I don't think Canon manufacturers any tapes. I have great luck with Panasonic MQ or PQ tapes. I steer away from the 83 minutes because of cost and because of rumors that the thinner tape used in them can cause more dropouts or tape eatage. Haven't experienced it myself but have heard of it.

I avoid Sony tapes like the plague. Had horrible dropouts and issues with them in my XL1 and haven't touched one in over 4 years now.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks Marty. I'll try panasonic tapes for my first test then.
Old October 20th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #10
Trustee

sorry if this has been gone over already but why do you need an adaptor? i have one of those bogen tripods there are already a few different sized bolts on it.
Old October 20th, 2004, 02:52 PM   #11
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Well you've bought a $5,000 camera and as I've recommended elsewhere on this board, you really should have a $1,500 tripod underneath it.-->>>

Well I agree in essence, but not with those figures. I have a very nice heavy duty 3036 Bogen Manfrotto tripod with a 3038 ball head that I got a while back for $250 on eBay (although it was used, so might want to double that amount for a new one).

Both are rated for a max load of 26lbs and they are quite stable. The ball head has an all metal quick-release plate with a double lock system and I swear I could probably hang myself with this thing without it braking or getting loose.

But yes, a proper tripod is a must indeed, one that can sustain heavy loads.
David Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 05:27 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Does this look like a good tape?

63 min Panasonic AY-DVM63 Professional Mini-DV Tape

http://www.apdigitalshop.co.uk/acatalog/Mini_DV___DVCAM.html

I can't find MQ ones. Is there a large difference between the two?
Old October 21st, 2004, 12:08 PM   #13
Major Player

I think the MQs are supposed to be Panasonic's top of the line, just above the PQs. I bought 10 of them based on high recommendations from various sellers, including Brian at Zotz digital, but I couldn't say why choose the MQs over the PQs really. I figure they might have a smaller amount of drop-outs. But why? Beats me... PQs and MQs don't use oil-based lubricants though, which is a good thing, I know that much.
David Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 12:51 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Thanks. Does anyone know of a good online UK retailer that sells Panasonic MQ tapes? I'm having no luck. I've tried ebay too
Old October 21st, 2004, 01:07 PM   #15
Major Player

Don't the standard everyday Panasonic tapes use a dry tape as well? Or did I hear incorrectly?
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders