Chrosziel Matteboxes & XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 3rd, 2004, 07:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Chrosziel Matteboxes & XL2

Spoke with 16X9INC recently, one of DVInfo's sponsers, about outfitting the Chrosziel 411-53PK mattebox with the XL2. The 411-53PK is a 16:9 compatible mattebox that was initially designed for the Panasonic AG-DVX100 and AG-DVX100A along with Panasonic's anamorphic adapter.

So that this mattebox will work with the XL2, you will need extension rods, model number 401-83, 100mm/4 inch extensions, along with another part that Chrosziel is manufacturing just for the XL2. Because the XL2 sits a tad higher than the AG-DVX100, Chrosziel is about to release a new camera plate, model number 401-43-01, which is where the XL2 is fixed to the rods system. Should be available sometime after two weeks time.

With these two parts, you should have a great mattebox, one with a 16:9 guide and compatible with many of Century Optic's lens adapters. Plus if you already have one for the AG-DVX100, you can switch between the two quite easily.

Perhaps Chrosziel will produce a new kit model number based on these slight adjustments to the 411-53PK, marketed just for the XL2?

Just some info for those who are looking into a mattebox setup for their XL2 and for 16:9 shooting.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 12:36 AM   #2
Major Player

Cool! I was wondering what they were going to do.
Old November 17th, 2004, 04:47 AM   #3
Major Player

hmmm. my dealer is trying to sell me this with the XL2:

1 x Chrosziel 4x4 Mattebox Kit made up of the following items
• 440-01 4x4 DV Sunshade
• S1001-85 Adapter 85:85mm
• 411-23 Adapter 104:85mm Clamp on
• 420-02 Center Bracket for Lightweight Support
• 401-40 Lightweight DV Support for XL-2

trouble is, the bracket that holds the rails and goes up to mount underneath the XL2 is clearly marked XL-1....I feel it does not fit the XL2 properly (I have used it with the demo XL2 and it does not seem to be too comfortable at all to use, especially on the shoulder, the plate digs into you).

David
David Cleverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 04:07 AM   #4
Major Player

16X9INC is the sole distributor of Chrosziel products in the USA. The other US vendors (B&H Photo, ZGC, etc) go through 16X9INC. According to Chrosziel's website, I found these two Chrosziel distributors for Australia:

John Barry Group

and Lemac Film & Video Equipment

Might want to contact those distributors for verification. In any case, I trust 16X9INC, which is also a sponser of DVInfo. A new XL2 camera mounting plate is on the way so if I were you, I'd wait for the new part to come in before ordering a mattebox kit, especially if you have first hand experience with the previous version.

I hope to order one soon once I hear they are in stock. Even ZGC over in New Jersey knows the lightweight support is on the way. Check out the webpage here where it says:

Quote:
Lightweight support brackets coming soon for this system.
In other words, the existing lightweight support rods won't do.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders