DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 29th, 2004, 07:01 AM   #1
Major Player

Apple and the future

Now that the 60g iphoto / ipod is out, dont you guys think they already have the technology to put out a ipod/i movie type thing? Im sure this will be coming out in the next year or so. Also what do you guys think about an upgrade to the G4 powerbooks? I would hope they put a G5 powerbook out by June.
Greg Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 07:14 AM   #2
Warden

I would look for G5 Powerbooks no later than the end of summer 2005. There are still issues with heat dissipation and battery life. I've heard rumors that a dual G4 Powerbook may be used as an temporary solution to the need for more processing power and the inability to deliver a G5 Powerbook.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 08:11 AM   #3
Major Player

Steve Jobs has repeatedly said Apple sees no future for a video iPod because of the saturation of the market with portable DVD players. It does seem like a logical next step but we will just have to wait and see.
Old October 29th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #4
Skyonic New York

the ultimate ipod would one that combined tivo with itunes...maybe itv...or iwanna waste some money...
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 12:05 PM   #5
Major Player

I'd love to see Apple come out with a "dock" that hooked into your TV and acted as both an Airport hub and a TiVO like device using the iPod hard drive to record on. Last I checked though, the hard drives in iPods were not meant for such heavy usage and Apple won't do a video iPod until licensing of movies happens and broadband gets broader. The market for a iPod video just simply is not big enough right now for Apple to get involved. Remember how long it took for them to get into MP3s?
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 03:03 PM   #6
Wrangler

I am not going to second guess what Apple has up its sleeve. I'm completely blown away by their sucesses during the past year which have cause their stock to double in value (once again I am a happy shareholder :-). Finally they seem to be getting it right and coming up with products that the market wants. Take a look at the past year, compared to HP and Dell: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=AAPL...q=l&c=dell,hpq
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 03:30 PM   #7
Major Player

Vidoe on the iPod is not going to happen anytime soon. How many people have video clips on their computer? I don't, and neither do most folks. Everyone has CDs, and people want to listen to music on the go, so the iPod works for music. Everyone has photos of their kids, pets, vacations, and they want to show them around to people. So, the iPod Photo works, too. Very few people have the need/desire to watch video on the go. If you do, you get a portable DVD player.

Someday society might want it, and when they do, you can bet Apple's gonna be at the forefront with an iPod A/V; but until then, all we get is music, and photos.
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 10:41 PM   #8
Skyonic New York

computer + ipod does not equal video

the next gen ipod type devices by pass the computer all togther...say you got trip comming up tivo your portable recording device and watch your favorite reality tv show on the go...

in fact i can see streaming old episodes of seinfeld and friends from apples itv web site directly to your ipod, encrypted with comercials of course, targeted comercials

got a flight, hook up your ipodtv to your airport kiosk and rent an in flight movie, your choice of over 10,000 titles in minutes over a firewire connection

content is king, not the media, if you build it they will come, you know all that jazz, the reason folks don't have video on there computers is it's easier to just watch it on a tv, but what if your commute won't let you stay at home and watch the morning news...

what if you could buy a I-tv tunner for your vid i-pod and just record a show and watch it when you want, no wires, no fuss

portable video will be here soon, how ever it should also be a pda, cell phone, game deck, card reader, gps and mp3 player to get my vote...
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 11:32 AM   #9
Major Player

I think plenty of people have video clips on their computers, but the price:portable video need ratio isn't good enough to attract buyers.

I think portable photos are a stupid Apple venture because cell phones do/will be handling this fine, and some newer TV sets (and hopefully more in the future) have flash readers. Do you really need to show people photos literally on the go, and is there a reason the screen on your phone/camera isn't capable enough for viewing?

The problem with portable video is that unless it's for the morning commute (on a trian/bus, not in the car!), more often than not, people want to be able to watch it with somebody simultaneously (i.e. watching a scary movie on a camping trip, bringing out a new music video to show your friends at a party, bringing your indie short out to show everybody that'll watch!), and a 3 inch screen just isn't good for this. Screen size is what will keep people going to portable DVD players and laptops for portable video. For parents that jusy want to shut up their kids (where a 3 inch screen is suitable), they already have VideoNow! and GBA video cartridges for much cheaper. In fact, I have a flash card for my GBA and watch full length features on it (less features, but way cheaper).
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 06:55 AM   #10
Major Player

The Iphoto pod i think will be VERY good for my fellow freinds who are professional photographers. Its like their dream im sure, they can just take their pics where ever to show to there clients. And yes I edit LOTS of video with 3 80g HDs almost FILLED with video files. And to be able to bring them around to show some people without having them come to my house would be amazing.
Greg Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 07:02 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I think the new iPod is great. Can't wait till the movie iPod comes out. There is rumor of the "eyePod". And the iPod camcorder.

Never underestimate the power of a video camera!
David Bermejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 05:42 AM   #12
Regular Crew

re: a g5 powerbook I'm afraid we are in for a long wait.

Via the the D&AD I spoke with several senior Apple figures.

I asked about the G5 powerbook and the response I got is that they are having real issues in making even the 1.8 GhZ G5 cool in the mobile form factor.

Also the fact it runs hot means it saps battery power.

I also asked about when the 3 GHZ dual G5 might be out. I was told they do have a number running but they havn't managed to make them stable enough. In fact the 2.5 GHZ chip has been a real pig to produce in significant numbers.

So if you are hanging on for a G5 Powerbook then don't. Anyway the 1.5 GHZ powerbook is quite good with 2gig of RAM. Yes you have longer to wait on renders but use the time to go make come tea or coffee (if you are in the US).

Best

Jonathan
Jonathan Noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 12:39 PM   #13
Warden

Jonathan, you and I sound like we've had the same discussions. I'm putting a G5 Powerbook about a year out, maybe a little less, maybe a little more. I think we'll see the 3 GHz chips in the next update, probably late winter or early spring.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite