exporting to 2MPEG program? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 1st, 2004, 12:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

exporting to 2MPEG program?

Is there another program that I can use to take my uncompressed FCP footage and export it to an MPEG2 for use on a dvd so that it will look decent on a television. My version doesnt seem to have that option of FCP, no matter how many times I reload it or DVDSP.

Thanks
Ryan
Ryan Wachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 06:18 AM   #2
Major Player

I've found BitVice form http://www.innobits.se to be excellent.
Old November 1st, 2004, 07:22 AM   #3
Warden

Some people use Cleaner. What version of FCP are you using?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 09:11 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm using final cut pro 4 and when i go to export>quicktime compression(or whatever exactly it says) I get about 12 options to choose from including MPEG4 but MPEG2 is not in there...
Old November 1st, 2004, 03:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Have you tried exporting using "Compressor" Ryan
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 04:53 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Im having trouble with that as well. For some reason it wants a serial number but wont take the one for final cut pro. They both came together, i dont understand it.
Old November 1st, 2004, 05:16 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Did you upgrade from FCP3? maybe it wants that serial number...
Old November 1st, 2004, 06:32 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I dont know what has changed but it is no longer asking for a serial number...I tell you what sometimes I think this mac is purposely trying to drive me insane.

Ok, obviously I am new to compressor...what is the best way to compress a fcp movie so that it will look good and not be pixelated on a tv?
Old November 1st, 2004, 06:49 PM   #9
Regular Crew

There are lots of Presets in COMPRESSOR.

There are some with higher quality for shorter movies and lower quality compression for long movies (if you are trying to fit it all on a 4.7GB DVDR. Also there are some presets for NTSC, PAL, widescreen,4:3 etc etc so find the one you need and also remember you need to also use it to create your PCM 48khtz audio track.

You can also tweak the presets and save the new preset so you can use it easier next time.
Old November 1st, 2004, 09:03 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Ok, im a little confused. I pull out the sequence I want to use, i go to export>using compressor and nothing happens...with or without having compressor open as well. When I start messing around with it, it seems that I need to already compress it with quicktime compression or compressor wont even acknowledge it...doesnt that defeat the purpose?
Old November 3rd, 2004, 06:35 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Right, Compressor does the compressing not quicktime. Open your FCP project, open the sequence you want to export. Have the playhead at the start of the sequence and choose: File, Export, Using Compressor..

Compressor will then open automatically. Then choose your preset and "submit" or OK (can't remember the name of the button)
Old November 4th, 2004, 08:12 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Yea, thats what I do and it sets up like compressor is opening, but then nothing happens. It wont open. So when I open compressor and go to submit as to compress it, it wont give me the option of choosing the uncompressed sequence...only the one that was already compressed using quicktime...the icon is half fcp slate with a quicktime icon in the middle...thats the only time it will let me do it.
Old November 6th, 2004, 02:16 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Thats strange, I've never had that problem. Have you tried the normal fixes like repairing permissions etc?

You could try to export out of FCP as Animation quality Self contained QT movie and then import that into Compressor. But I haven't tried doing it this way as its an extra step that shouldn't be necessary.

Sorry but I think thats all I can suggest.

The probs you've been having with MPEG2 exports and Compressor shouldn't be happening either.

I would hate to suggest the following but would probably do it to my Mac if I couldn't get everything to work as it should.

Restore the Mac and reinstall everything else
Old November 6th, 2004, 08:20 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Yea, it might have to come down to that...again.

Ive repaired the permissions before but forget entirely how to do it. Can you refresh my memory?
Old November 7th, 2004, 01:42 AM   #15
Regular Crew

In your Applications/Utilities folder open Disk Utility

select your start up Hard Drive and then in the First Aid tab click "Repair Permissions"
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite