Does anyone know a good hard case to get? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 29th, 2004, 08:24 AM   #1
Tourist

Does anyone know a good hard case to get?

I just ordered an XL2 and I need to know a good hard case to get. A good low priced hard case... after getting the camera, I don't really have $400 to spend on a case. A nicely priced case in the $200 range. I hear Pelican cases are good, and relatively cheap considering. But I jsut don't know which one is big enough. Any suggestions? thanks.
Judge Colautti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 10:17 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Does anyone know a good hard case to get?

<<<-- Originally posted by Judge Colautti : I just ordered an XL2 and I need to know a good hard case to get. A good low priced hard case... after getting the camera, I don't really have $400 to spend on a case. A nicely priced case in the $200 range. I hear Pelican cases are good, and relatively cheap considering. But I jsut don't know which one is big enough. Any suggestions? thanks. -->>>

I would recommend Pelican, go to their web site, it describes all the sizes you could imagine.

Most likely a 1650 or something like that.

Out of interest, why a hard case instead of a soft one. The softones can come on the plane with you.

DBK
Old October 30th, 2004, 11:16 AM   #3
Tourist

Hmm.. you make a good point...
Know any good bags then? Due to my location, my only option is ordering from the net. So I don't have the luxury of even seeing one first hand
Judge Colautti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 05:59 PM   #4
New Boot

i highly recommend the pelican hard case -- i didn't really have the money for it either, but I splurged, and I'm glad I did, because protecting that 5000.00 investment is worth it.

best luck!

Drew
Drew Daywalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 06:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I just bought a ProBag BC03 Bag

I think it is the best compromise between a bag and a case

It is soft material, like a bag, but has a rigid frame, so strong you could pretty much stand on it without even squashing the bag at all!

Go to
http://www.cpcases.com/product.asp?productid=40&typeid=4&prodrangeid=13#xx#

to find out more.
I tried the XL2 in the BC02 bag, and it was too big for it with all my accessories inc an LCD monitor, so I went for the BC03. It is a bag meant for near enough a full size DVCAM camera!

Anyway I am very happy and think this option does the job of both a bag and a case!

Lawrence
Lawrence Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 01:13 AM   #6
Major Player

The Kata CCC-10 Pro-Camcorder Case will fit the XL2 and meets airline standards for size. Some of the other stuff might have to go in the cargo hold, though.

Lightware makes a lot of really great cases as well as a really great belt system-the Grip Strip- that I use when I am working as a gaffer, grip, stills assistant, or DP. Their XL1 Soft Side Mini DV Camera Case will fit the XL2 and go on a plane. Other cases: Petrol PDB-1N Duffel bag, Porta Brace CO-BC Carry On Camcorder Case, Porta Brace CTC-2 Traveler Camera Case, Tamrac 2248 Subcompact Camcorder Case.

All of these should fit the airline standard carry-on limit which I think is 47 linear inches. Double check tho, I couldn't find the required size limit, although they are now allowing 1 carry on plus one Personal Item, which includes a camera case. Goody! I can carry my monitor too.

Plus there are tons of hard and soft cases by these and other mfrs that may not fit the airline standards, but are really great cases

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=090005198004a93a

Lightware Grip strip
http://www.lightwareinc.com/site/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.category_top&Cat_ID=19&Cat_Name=GripStrip

Check out Lightware cases for all kinds of stuff, even your Glock!
Old November 11th, 2004, 11:55 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I just ordered a pelican 1620 case. The bags must be heavy to carry after a while right? I did think of getting one to take on the plane but wondered if carrying it around would be hard. It was really difficult to choose. I hope I made the right choice with the pelican 1620 over the Portabrace CTC-2. And I want to thank everyone from the last thread for helping me out :)
Kevin Gilvear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 12:28 PM   #8
Major Player

The 1620 is a great case, but I think it may be too big to go as carry-on luggage in the U.S. Not sure what the UK regs are. There is the new (U.S.) 1+1 rule, where you can basically cary two bags. Maybe they'd let you if it was your only carry-on and you called the airline. But that's pretty iffy. What are the UK and EU regs for carry-ons?
Old November 11th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #9
Regular Crew

i'm not sure to be honest, i'll need to ring them. i don't think i'll be able to take the pelican onboard - way too big i reckon.
Kevin Gilvear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #10
Major Player

Yeah, that's why Darren mentioned soft cases. Not sure how folks travel with larger camera set-ups. Look around on Cinematography.net, or Cinematography.com. Lot's of folks in your area and around the world who have good info. check the FAQ's first. I sem to recall those discussions, but they were a while ago, plus info on carnets.
Old November 11th, 2004, 03:10 PM   #11
Major Player

I've never traveled with a video camera but I did travel for years with instruments. Only one option unless the equipment stays in your hands (and for this I'm including ground transport) - Anvil Cases.

Matt
Matthew Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 03:47 PM   #12
Wrangler

I'm a fan of Storm Cases over Pelicans--very similar functionality but I vastly prefer the latches on the Storms, as well as the handles.
Old November 11th, 2004, 04:11 PM   #13
Major Player

I was looking at Storm Cases, looks like good stuff. Website can be checked out here.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 04:45 PM   #14
Major Player

Charles,

Pelican's newer E-Z open latches of the last year or two are easier to open. Haven't really checked out the Storm cases, I'll do that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders